Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
Kindle better for e-book n00bs?

I don't really consider myself an ebook newbie. I don't mind messing around with different formats and programs like Calibre.

But I was talking with my sister-in-law last night. She's not that internet-savvy, and I was wondering if a Kindle might be a better device for her in the long run than, say, a Sony reader.

I tend to think of the Kindle as being kinda like the iPod -- not necessarily the best device out there, and tied up with lots of DRM strings, but easy for the average person to load and read/listen to.

Thoughts/opinions?

(BTW, I have a Sony PRS-505 along with my Palm devices and my netbook, and a Cowon D2 mp3 player. )
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
IF your sister-in-law lives in the USA, in an area with good Sprint telephone coverage, then yes, I think the Kindle would definitely be a better choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is the simplest reader to use. I am not a fan of buying ebooks using the Kindle, using a web browser on a PC is easier. But even when using a PC for buying ebooks, there is only one store (with a great selection at a great price). Buy with one click and have the ebook downloaded immediately for you, or try the sample and if you like the first chapter have the rest downloaded as soon as you like.

As HarryT says, this only works when in Whispernet range. Otherwise, it is no harder or easier to use than other readers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
But even when using a PC for buying ebooks, there is only one store (with a great selection at a great price).
If you meant that there is only one store to buy Kindle books in, that isn't true. I buy all the time from Baen Books and Fictionwise for my Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If you meant that there is only one store to buy Kindle books in, that isn't true. I buy all the time from Baen Books and Fictionwise for my Kindle.
There is only one store for DRMed content. I agree that there are several good sources for DRM-free ebooks, and a downside of the "one store" approach is that a Kindle owner is less likely to find FictionWise and Baen (say) than the typical ebook consumer. Even for public domain ebooks, the number of sub-par versions in the Kindle Store suggests that many readers don't find the superior versions at mobileread or feedbooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Once you venture out of the Kindle/Amazon DRM-laden store, IMO, you lose the "ease of use" of putting books on the Kindle.

It's not difficult to put non-Amazon-bought books on a Kindle, but it's no esier than putting books on the Sony Reader IMO.

(I had a Kindle for a while, just in case you see my sig and think I have only Sony Reader experience).
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I think part of the answer has to be the kind of reading experience the person is looking for. Personally, I don't think it is any harder to use the Sony to purchase books as long as the person has rudimentary computer skills. Afterall, it just isn't that hard to download to one's computer and drag from one place to another in order to load books. It just takes a couple of more steps.

More important, I think, is the expected reading experience. For me -- and I'm not suggesting that my preferences dominate and I recognize that happy Kindlers feel otherwise -- I prefer the Sony to the Kindle experience. The Sony is more like reading a pbook whereas the Kindle is more like reading off my laptop. And, yes, I have tried the Kindle. It's not that the reading screens are so different; it is that ergonomics and design, especially the keyboard.

In the end, I think a lot of this has to do with age, experience with computers, and just what one is looking for reading-experience wise. In this case, because the choice appears to be between a Kindle and a Sony, it might be wise to try both and return the less-liked one within the return period.

Just an aside: My parents (who are in their 80s) absolutely refused to even consider the Kindle because of the wireless connection. They were afraid of having their privacy intruded upon by Amazon. I am not suggesting that their fear is rational, but when suggesting a device to someone, it is something to consider. They also refused to join Medic Alert because they didn't want people at Medic Alert to see what medications they are taking. I couldn't convince them (I'm a Medic Alert member) that no one at Medic Alert cares about what medications they take. It's the idea that someone might look, not that someone does.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergal5219 View Post
But I was talking with my sister-in-law last night. She's not that internet-savvy, and I was wondering if a Kindle might be a better device for her in the long run than, say, a Sony reader.
I'd say yeah just for the fact that she'll save a ton of money in the long run buying books (since she would most likely stick to the offical store of whatever reader she is using)

Also the Kindle buying process couldn't be simpler once it's set up.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
More important, I think, is the expected reading experience. For me -- and I'm not suggesting that my preferences dominate and I recognize that happy Kindlers feel otherwise -- I prefer the Sony to the Kindle experience. The Sony is more like reading a pbook whereas the Kindle is more like reading off my laptop. And, yes, I have tried the Kindle. It's not that the reading screens are so different; it is that ergonomics and design, especially the keyboard.
Not to start a long debate since esthetics cannot be quantified. I own both a Kindle and a Sony reader. I prefer using the Kindle, but I enjoy my Sony reader, particularly when reading in the car at night because I have the cover with the built-in light-wedge.

The Kindle's keyboard doesn't remind me at all of a laptop experience. And one reason why I like the Kindle so much is the ability to set highlights and key in notes. The Sony 505 which I have doesn't have that ability, and I find myself wanting to mark a passage or add a note when I'm reading on it. The Sony 700's capability for highlighting and annotations is based on a touch screen. I am terribly uncomfortable with touch -- screens or whatever. The first thing I do when I get a new laptop is to disable the touchpad thingy because I find the cursor jumping all over the place when I'm trying to type but accidentally touch the pad. I can't use my husband's Mac at all because of the "one finger, two fingers, three fingers" touch controls.

So -- there's no one perfect design. Users place different values on features and capabilities. I *do* wish there was only one content format and DRM scheme so that each of us would have the ability to move books from today's device to the one we might choose to own in the future. And, of course, we could purchase from any store based on price or loyalty rather than being compelled to use a single channel.

Books purchased from the Sony store in the USA are in .lrx format which is still a tightly closed (i.e. uncracked) DRM scheme. Yes, Sony users *can* purchase books from Books-on-Board in ePub format, or they can buy DRM-ed content in another format and unlock/shift for use on the Sony reader, but I wouldn't call that the least bit "user friendly".

I do 90% of the purchasing for my Kindle through my browser. I do enjoy just turning on the antenna once in a while -- with the power adapter connected to the house current -- and letting my purchases download directly to the device. It's rare if I purchase through the Whispernet connection -- mainly when I'm showing off to someone.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Its a huge investment, but Rhadin's suggestion is best.

Buy both. The Kindle can be returned within 30 days, no questions asked, for a full refund, minus your shipping charges, about $10.

I don't know about the Sony, that would be something you would want to find out before you buy it.

Let them play with both. Within a couple of weeks, they will know which one is best, for them.

Good luck
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think it is. I live in an area (Canada) where is is not available, but from everything I heard, it is. Someone like my stepdad, I never thought he would be interested in something like this, but when I got a new cover for my Sony, I caught him one day flipping it open, admiring it I expressed surprise that something like that would even interest him, and he said he has been thinking about getting old and how he likes bigger print sometimes, does not like to hold a heavy book, might not always be able to get out when he wants a new one. He's not going to care about DRM. He is not going to care about reading them again in 20 years. He probably will biew the 9.99 per book like a movie rental and delete the book when he's done. He just wants to be able to read the new Tom Clancy or whatever without going out in the snow. If the Kindle were available here, it would be perfect for him.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
I'd say yeah just for the fact that she'll save a ton of money in the long run buying books (since she would most likely stick to the offical store of whatever reader she is using)

Also the Kindle buying process couldn't be simpler once it's set up.
Especially if she samples before buying. I've saved a ton of money on NOT buying books after reading the sample. (You do need to be in wireless coverage areas to get samples but that's rarely an issue for me.)

As for getting public domain books, They're simple if you know about the handy download guides from this site and Feedbooks.com. It's as easy as clicking on a link.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I recommended the K1 to my Mother-in-Law for the same reason. I love my PRS-505 and was happy that I started with that reader in December of 2007. I learned how to format shift early because of the PRS-505. When my Mother-in-Law became interested in owning an ebook reader this past Christmas, I recommended the K1 because of the ease of use and the genre she reads. She ordered on December 30th, 2008 and of course she did not get it for almost 2 months and she received a K2. She love the K2 but she was upset on having to shell out an additional $30 for cover because she ordered a K1 and it came with cover; she felt that Amazon should have sent the cover for free to the people that ordered prior to Feb 9, 2009 (the day the K2 was announced). Anyway, she's not very computer savvy but after walking her through the steps of browsing the amazon bookstore via her computer, she's been fine on her own. Now most of her friends own a K2!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Another vote for the Kindle 2. As already mentioned, the Kindle doesn't need an extra application to load books -- just go to the store, click and you're done. There is a bit of a downside (namely, you're all but locked into buying e-books from Amazon) but for someone who is not technically inclined, a) it's worth the ease of use and b) it may not be a big issue.

You might also want to load up the new K2 with a bunch of public domain books as well, save her from buying all those Jane Austen books.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I've only briefly used the Sony, but yes the Kindle does seem a little simpler. It's not a huge difference though, I mean within 30 mins I am sure most people could understand the devices, the exception might be if your relative is elderly and has basically zero computer experience. Then it might take a week or so, but if she sticks with it, either device would make sense.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote