Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
It can also spoof where the data packet has apparently come from - it's used in DDoS attacks to that end.
But if the purpose of your monitoring is to detect illegal content going to a particular user of the ISP, does that affect things? ie, won't it just be the recipient's address and the packet "contents" that are relevent?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #77
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Every law is subject to false accusions; that's why we have courts, to determine whether the accusation that has been made against someone is true or false. With this law that has been set up in France, the evidence against someone will be presented to a body that's been set up called the "Haute Autorité", which will determine what, if any, punishment is appropriate - temporary suspension of internet access, a fine, or an injunction banning them from certain activities. There is not, as has been incorrectly suggested by some on this thread, an automatic assumption of guilt and termination of internet access without "due process".
And where exactly are you getting this information?? I ask because nowhere, in any thing I have read about this law, do they state that evidence against someone will go before a court BEFORE they terminate access.

What I have read is that, if your ISP "suspects" that you are in violation they will send you and email, and then a letter, and then terminate access. Where are you getting all this evidence before a court information?? I'd really love to read it.

And, please, don't just tell me that you saw it somewhere. I'd prefer a link as the proof of what you are saying about this new law. Not just your usual "I was under the impression that ......"
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
And where exactly are you getting this information?? I ask because nowhere, in any thing I have read about this law, do they state that evidence against someone will go before a court BEFORE they terminate access.

What I have read is that, if your ISP "suspects" that you are in violation they will send you and email, and then a letter, and then terminate access. Where are you getting all this evidence before a court information?? I'd really love to read it.

And, please, don't just tell me that you saw it somewhere. I'd prefer a link as the proof of what you are saying about this new law. Not just your usual "I was under the impression that ......"
I've already posted the link where I got my information, Ricky, but here it is again:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04...three_strikes/

This states that there will be no "automatic termination"; the matter will go to a body that's being set up with judicial powers, called the "Haute Autorité", which will have the power to impose fines, injunctions, or temporary suspension of Internet access. May I ask where you got your information that there will be some sort of "automatic" termination of access, because that's not at all in accordance with what I've read.

Happy reading!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #79
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
But if the purpose of your monitoring is to detect illegal content going to a particular user of the ISP, does that affect things? ie, won't it just be the recipient's address and the packet "contents" that are relevent?
If I can change my MAC and IP address to look like I'm you, then yes, it affects things.

If I use spoof data packets to connect to dodgy websites, which are later raided and your details are found on the site, then again, yes it matters.

I'm not suggesting this sort of thing would become the norm, by the way, but it's common enough behaviour in other forms of cyber-crime for it not to be ignored either.

A good computer forensics person might be able to unravel everything and prove that the apparently guilty person isn't, but there's a whole string of things that need to have been done correctly before they would even stand a chance. And unfortunately not all law enforcement people are adequately trained to ensure this would be done, even assuming everything had been set up correctly in the first place.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #80
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
I've already posted the link where I got my information, Ricky, but here it is again:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04...three_strikes/

This states that there will be no "automatic termination"; the matter will go to a body that's being set up with judicial powers, called the "Haute Autorité", which will have the power to impose fines, injunctions, or temporary suspension of Internet access. May I ask where you got your information that there will be some sort of "automatic" termination of access, because that's not at all in accordance with what I've read.

Happy reading!
I read it. It does not say anything about the Haute Autorite being a "court" in front of whom evidence will be presented.

So, guess again, Harry. No court .... no evidence. All there needs to be is a suspicion (according to the same article, and I quote) ....

The principle behind the law is simple. Anyone suspected of illegal downloading of material on the internet will receive two letters: a first and a second warning. The first warning will recommend that the user check to make sure that no one is surfing on the back of an unsecured Wi-Fi connection: but it will also point out that it is the subscriber’s responsibility to make sure their net access is properly safeguarded.

Being hijacked will not be an excuse in the eyes of the law.

Oh, and then there's this bit:

The ultimate decision rests with the Haute Autorité, which may cut off subscribers - but does not have to. This is because the government does not wish to see businesses and institutions placed in a position where a national enterprise could suddenly find itself deprived of internet access because of the illegal activities of one or two of its managers.

So, it's ok to cut off service to a home-based business because a child does something stupid the parent doesn't know about??

Talk about your double standards ....

And .... if you can find one reference to evidence being presented in front of a court ... then I missed something. Giving a body "judicial powers" does not mean that it is a court of law .... it means it can render decisions that have the force of law.

So .... now where was that information that you were going to point me towards?? Just that article?? Thought so .....

I've read it. I'm not really sure you read it with any understanding of what it says.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 04-04-2009 at 04:16 PM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #81
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:

How do you know a packet is an illegal packet? What if it "spoofed" to appear as if it came from the French Government?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #82
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Yes, and quite right too! I've also done 35mph in a 30 zone, so lock me up and throw away the key!

Really, do you think that this disqualifies me from believing downloading material illegally from current, living, authors, is wrong?
Would that include the works of Harry Harrison which you uploaded to MobileRead? He is very much alive*.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11597

*The story in question is out of copyright in the US.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #83
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Its odd all this is happening. :/ The three strikes thing would mean ISPs can't make money off internet users. What chance do you think there is that the ISPs will conveniently 'forget' to send warnings or whatnot?

Also, this morning, before I found out about any of this, I made a vow to only listen to music from Jamendo for the month of April. I did this today, and not April 1st so nobody would think I was fooling.
strangeseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #84
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeseraph View Post
Its odd all this is happening. :/ The three strikes thing would mean ISPs can't make money off internet users. What chance do you think there is that the ISPs will conveniently 'forget' to send warnings or whatnot?
Depends how much money/business they think they'd be likely to lose if they got sued for allowing it to happen I suspect...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #85
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What seems strange to me is why copyright owners (and the governments they bribe) are going after individual file sharers in the first place. It would be much easier (and more effective) to strong arm ISPs into blocking access to HTML based p2p indexes like the Pirate Bay. Kinda like the great firewall of china. I know that's the start of a slippery slope to free speech violations, but then what they're currently doing is an equally slippery slope to privacy violations (and really privacy is an essential ingredient of free speech).

All that's really needed to kill file sharing is to make it sufficiently inconvenient, and that's (relatively) easy to do for the vast majority of the computer illiterate public.

Fortunately, it appears that the copyright lobby is rather incompetent
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #86
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Complete bullocks. P2P and bittorrent technology has light and dark uses. So do guns, cars and knives. Trying to punish those who use any of the above for "alleged" "suspicions" of illegal activities is a high crime committed by the state.

Trust me, the US has seen its high crimes committed by the state in the last 8 years (that have not yet been punished yet... but when they are you can be assured it will be by DUE PROCESS).

As for the right to privacy, I cannot fathom the fool who thinks only the guilty need worry about their privacy being violated. When we lose the right to privacy we lose everything that ... is... private. Nothing could be more sacred to a sentient being.

And I hope France does not have any King Crimson fans, because the DGM Live web store uses bittorent (LEGALLY) for its transactions.

About DGM Live

Quote:
DGM Live utilizes the latest in peer-to-peer technologies to deliver large music files across the internet. Files are distributed using BitTorrent, a file distribution utility that can dramatically increase the speed of your download by retrieving your content not only from DGM's servers but from fellow downloaders simultaneously. Download it now.
Here

Quote:
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
- Ben Franklin. He spent a lot of time in France, as a diplomat. I am sure he is not happy wherever he is now.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 04-05-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #87
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And as for the person who brought torture into the discussion... nothing, naught, zip has ever been learned from torture other than that torture is an absolutely worthless way to gain any information of value. (just ask the Spanish inquisition!)

Except for the information that torture is an abhorrent crime against all humanity, torture is of no other value.

Army Field Manual (Time Magazine)

Former Head of the Defense Intelligence Agency Says Torture Unreliable

Last edited by Donnageddon; 04-05-2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #88
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon
And as for the person who brought torture into the discussion... nothing, naught, zip has ever been learned from torture other than that torture is an absolutely worthless way to gain any information of value. (just ask the Spanish inquisition!)
That person has completely disqualified himself from this discussion by even questioning the unacceptability of torture.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
And as for the person who brought torture into the discussion...
It was Zelda who brought torture into the discussion.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #90
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Yes, Harry, and you defended it.