Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
connieko
connieko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi From Georgia

Good Morning all. I am totally new to the ebook world. I placed an order for my Kindle on Friday and it should be arriving via free 1 day shipping (yeah) on Monday. The Kindle has intrigued me since it came on the scene as a means for me to enjoy reading again. I have found with age has come bifocals and that is not necessarily fun for me to read my small paperback books. I just can't seem to get the book or my head in the right position comfortably. Hardback books are great. I suppose it's the print size that helps most. But wow, they are expensive and they take up so much room. So, I'm giving Kindle a try. I hope that me being the technologically challenged individual that I am, I can make this work. I have hopes of one day being able to copy my entire library of paperback keepers on to eformat for storage on my Kindle so that I can continue to enjoy them from time to time. So, I'll probably be asking lots of really strange questions to all of you guys that are so good at this, but hopefully I can grasp the concept. Nice to make your acquaintance and any and all infomation and help will be greatly appreciated. Connie from western metro Atlanta area in Georgia.
connieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Welcome to MobileRead!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Connie:

I suspect you're going to love your Kindle. And you've come to just the right place for help and conversation. The folks here love all things to do with eBooks. There's a bit of friendly rivalry about which brand of reader one should get, which book format is the best, and which styles should be used when creating eBooks. It's a friendly gang. Welcome.

Quote:
I have found with age has come bifocals and that is not necessarily fun for me to read my small paperback books. I just can't seem to get the book or my head in the right position comfortably.
I never wore glasses until around age 48 when I discovered I needed reading glasses. I went ahead with bi-focals rather than hanging the reading glasses from a chain around my neck. I didn't bother with the no-line version since I wanted the maximum area of the glasses devoted to reading. That allows my eyes to track the text as usual instead of having to move my head to move the "sweet spot" across the page.

Quote:
I hope that me being the technologically challenged individual that I am, I can make this work.
I have a dear friend named Bob who lives in Atlanta and who has helped his elderly (75-ish) friend master the Kindle ... reading books, shopping @ Amazon through the Kindle, shopping @ Amazon through his PC, downloading free books from varous sites, and transferring books from the PC to the Kindle. If you discover that you're stymied by one of these tasks, let me know and I'll ask Bob if he'd be willing to meet you at a coffee shop and give you a tutorial.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Ah-ha! Another Georgian! Glad to know you're in the neighborhood.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi connieko and welcome to the Forum. Be sure and let us know how you like your Kindle when you get it. And if you have questions, there's lots of friendly here.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Now, I could have sworn that it was "free two day shipping" ... but whatever it was, mine showed up exactly when they said it would.

I love (love, love, love) my Kindle. I have had no problems with accidental button pushes, and it fits just so nicely in my hands .... very comfortable to read.

I purchased several books before my Kindle arrived, so when it came it was already well stocked with books. Last night, I finished reading "When You Are Engulfed by Flames" by David Sedaris .... and ordered another Sedaris book while lying there in bed.

Now, if I had actually had to wait until the next day, get the computer fired up, go to the Amazon site and purchase another book, I likely would have forgotten that I wanted it. This happens to me all the time .... but because my book could just pop over to the store ... I bought "Dress Your Family in Cordoroy and Denim" .... I think that's the title.

Welcome to the group. I hope you will like it here. I've only been a member for a short while (a week maybe??), but I've found it a very nice resource for book information, and just for great people.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello connieko, enjoy your Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Now, I could have sworn that it was "free two day shipping" ... but whatever it was, mine showed up exactly when they said it would.
HE may be an Amazon Prime member... or he just paid for next day shipping.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
connieko
connieko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank everyone for their very nice hello's. Actually I had been waffling back and forth with the Kindle for months, I saw the price drop and almost made the jump, then on Friday I was looking again at the site and saw "free 1 day shipping" and I thought why not. I had some birthday money that my family had given me for my birthday and I thought what better way to spend it. I don't know if they still have the 1 day shipping or if it was a Fathers day thing. But it was on the site on Friday if anyone is interested. Connie.
connieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings Connieko! Welcome to the forum.
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote