Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 AM   #361
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
Sorry folks, for being such a jerk

Everything works right now - I simply made one big mistake - I copied both - install and uninstall.bin to root folder in kindle. I thought it was some kind of backup system - while install was not successful - kindle automatically runs uninstall.. - looks like "uninstall" was run after reboot or at the same time "install" was run - either way - it prevented it from correct installing (now ssh through putty works correctly).
It's all because KT is my first kindle and I didn't follow K3 jailbreaking. Forgive me for my ignorance. If I'm able to contribute/help in any way I'm willing to.
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #362
mrbob
mrbob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
This SSH hack doesn't include SCP protocol. To enable it, copy sftp-server file from NiLuJe usbNetwork hack to Kindle folder /usr/libexec
That is not quite correct...

By default, WinSCP attempts to use the SFTP protocol - which causes the application to fail to connect because there is no SFTP binary on the device. If instead, you set the application to use the SCP protocol, it will connect without any additional modification to the device.

By the same token, if you (like me) use linux, you are able to scp files to and from the device using the CLI, ie:

Code:
scp root@10.0.0.1:/var/local/java/prefs/browser/bookmarks_wv .
all of the above works WITHOUT the need to install the sftp-server binary... (Of course you still actually need to have the SSH binary installed on the device)

Last edited by mrbob; 12-21-2011 at 06:24 AM.
mrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #363
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
@ Sir Alex:
And where in the hack of NiLuJe do I find the respective sftp-server file to add if I want pls?
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #364
mrbob
mrbob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
@ Sir Alex:
And where in the hack of NiLuJe do I find the respective sftp-server file to add if I want pls?
if you really need SFTP access (as opposed to pure SCP) then the sftp-server binary from the USBNetwork hack is here:
http://trac.ak-team.com/export/7828/...in/sftp-server
mrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #365
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
THX, of course, no real need, I accessed via SCP, but I collect all I can get ;-) and try every time to understand more.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #366
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
nice link! I had a heck of a time finding that the first time too!
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #367
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
Kindle static IP

I've scoured my Kindle 4 for the configuration files for static IP and DNS settings. Can't find it. Anyone have a clue? I know I can (and did) change it from the wifi settings menu, but I'd like to change it remotely from ssh.

Editing /etc/resolv.conf won't change the DNS nameserver because it gets rewritten on each reboot or restart of wlan0.
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #368
dionoea
Enthusiast
dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightWeight View Post
I've scoured my Kindle 4 for the configuration files for static IP and DNS settings. Can't find it. Anyone have a clue? I know I can (and did) change it from the wifi settings menu, but I'd like to change it remotely from ssh.

Editing /etc/resolv.conf won't change the DNS nameserver because it gets rewritten on each reboot or restart of wlan0.
Persistant wireless settings are stored in binary form and can be accessed using wpa_cli. I'm not sure that this contains the ip configuration though (I doubt it). You could just configure your IP statically in the amazon firmware and check /var/local for any file which might contain the IP you gave or just edit /etc/network/interfaces.
dionoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #369
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionoea View Post
You could just configure your IP statically in the amazon firmware and check /var/local for any file which might contain the IP you gave or just edit /etc/network/interfaces.
Nothing in /var/local contains a DNS IP. Editing /etc/network/interfaces doesn't change anything. How could that be?

What I wanted to avoid was the configuration through the menu. Just to change a DNS IP you have to reconfigure the whole thing and I only have the virtual keyboard in this thing

Last edited by EightWeight; 12-28-2011 at 02:06 PM.
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:37 AM   #370
lapuckire
lapuckire began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4
I cant get out of "Fastboot mode". Please HELP

(Sorry for my poor english)

I have got my Kindle 4 in fastboot mode and I cant exit it. When I hold the power button for 20 seconds nothing happen. I found this guide: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=196 but I cant compile these files https://github.com/yifanlu/Fastboot-Kindle in a runable program (I've never written in C).
Please help me!
lapuckire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #371
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I'm sorry, but you cannot get out of fastboot without the fastboot tool. What is your OS? Maybe someone can compile it for you? I did state in bold to not attempt unless you k ow what you are doing.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #372
lapuckire
lapuckire began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I'm sorry, but you cannot get out of fastboot without the fastboot tool. What is your OS? Maybe someone can compile it for you? I did state in bold to not attempt unless you k ow what you are doing.
I have Windows and Linux, but I can borrow Macbook from my friend.
lapuckire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #373
Meest
Meest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4NT
Question How to block IP addressess on Kindle

Hi all!
Thank you very much for your work with Kindle. You do really good and useful job. I'm writing here as to prominent experts on the subject.
I'd like to block some IP addresses on my Kindle 4 NT, generally i'd like to block access to the site Amazon.com. I checked traffic when Kindle connects to internet - it use only ip-addresses, so the hosts file is useless. I don't know Linux, so i'm afraid to do it by myself. So, I'd like to ask your advice - what should i do to block Amazon's addresses 72.21.192.0 - 72.21.223.255?
The line should look something like this, right?
Code:
ip route add blackhole 72.21.192.0/19
How to write it to the file to save this routing after reboot?
I would appreciate if you help.
thank you guys.
Meest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #374
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapuckire View Post
I have Windows and Linux, but I can borrow Macbook from my friend.
Get your friend to compile it on the Mac. That's how I compiled it. I can't seem to find it right now though.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #375
6od9
6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'6od9 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Touch
Please Help me how to install and configure usbNetwork on Kindle Touch?
6od9 is offline   Reply With Quote