Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Erik6048
Erik6048 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
Page Error

PRS600, I made an epub file out of some HTML files. Three of those html's are quite large: 500+ Kb.
Adobe Dig Ed and Sony library process/show the file without a problem.
Only the reader itself gives me a "page error" (dutch: paginafout) immediately, a triangle sign centered on an otherwise empty screen.
WHat can be the problem here ?
Erik6048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik6048 View Post
Only the reader itself gives me a "page error" (dutch: paginafout) immediately, a triangle sign centered on an otherwise empty screen.
WHat can be the problem here ?
How did you create the ePub? When you convert a file in Calibre it breaks up html over 260k. If any one html page within the epub is larger than 260k then the reader will choke on it.

Kevin explains it in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I have seen a similar issue with an epub I created myself. That error meant that the uncompressed size of the xhtml file was simply too large for the Sony's memory to process all at once. If you read Adobe's guide to making good Epubs they say that each xhtml file used in the book must be when uncompressed must by less than 300k and when compressed less than 100k.

Here is what SAdobe's EPUBBestPractices-1_0_2.epub says:

"Note that Adobe Digital Editions has the following limitations when running on a mobile device;

Image Size: 10MB uncompressed.

XHTML/DTBook file size: 300k uncompressed/100k compressed.

Lots of people are unaware of this limitation when they create epubs and so the epubs will not work with the Sony reader (and other mobile devices). These same epubs will work in desktop ADE becasue they don't have the memory limitation on the size of the xhtml file."

One way to check is to unzip the epub and simply look at the sizes in bytes of the files that are unpacked. If any are greater than 300k then that is the issue, if not, then you need to verify that when compressed they are not more than 100k.

If the epubs are not drm protected, then you can use Calibre or Sigil to add appropriate chapter breaks to clean things up and make a working epub. I did this with my own epub book and the error went away just fine and everything worked.
Information on Sigil and Calibre can be found in other forums here at mobileread.

Grab Sigil 0.2.0B3 here.

Grab Calibre here.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-02-2010 at 08:47 AM.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
erik5000
erik5000 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
Indeed: shrinking the individual html files does the trick. I'm not sure about the max of the prs600, but now my uncompressed html files are less that 100kB (one file = one chapter) and the epub works. Maybe the size can be larger, but this is what I did.
erik5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik5000 View Post
Indeed: shrinking the individual html files does the trick. I'm not sure about the max of the prs600, but now my uncompressed html files are less that 100kB (one file = one chapter) and the epub works. Maybe the size can be larger, but this is what I did.
I think uncompressed is 300k for all Sony devices this is why Calibre breaks up each at 260k uncompressed for all Sony devices, just to be sure to be under the 300k limit.

Glad it works now.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote