Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
sparker781
sparker781 began at the beginning.

Device: ematic EB106
ematic eBook EB106

I cannot for the life of me get books that I've downloaded from several different sites...I have gone to such sites as KOBO.com...Downloaded the book and tried to transfer it to my ebook however after it says it synched there's nothing there...Any Help? There is nothing in the instructions that say what to do...In fact I just tried to attach it to my computer and it wasn't recognized
sparker781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Welcome to Mobileread.

You have an unusual device, so I fear you won't get loads of specific advice here. I just did a web search and saw pretty much what I suppose you did. One thing I saw that I liked about this device is the price

The fact that your PC doesn't recognize the device is what I would focus on. It should be a new letter drive in Windows Explorer if you have a Windows PC.

If you have another similar cable around the house, try that. And I wouldn't be above rebooting everything, trying a different USB socket, and wiggling the cable a bit. If that doesn't work, I think you need to brave Ematic customer support.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-06-2013 at 10:01 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you authorize it such that Adobe's DRM will work. It sounds to me like it's not authorized and thus, won't open your ePub with DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you authorize it such that Adobe's DRM will work. It sounds to me like it's not authorized and thus, won't open your ePub with DRM.
After the device is gotten to be recognized by the PC, the next thing would be to try loading an ePub book without DRM, such as those on this web site, or at www.gutenberg.org. Only once that's working would I try getting encrypted ePub files to work.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
sparker781

How.....?

Quote:
How do you authorize to do that?

I appreciate any help with this
Old 01-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
DeeEs
DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad/iPhone
You will have to visit Adobe digital editions. Here is a link with the faq's: http://www.adobe.com/de/products/dig...tions/faq.html
DeeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
sparker781

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEs View Post
You will have to visit Adobe digital editions. Here is a link with the faq's: http://www.adobe.com/de/products/dig...tions/faq.html
I added a book to this ereader and when I ejected it from my PC so I could read it, I keep getting a message that says open file failed....Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by sparker781; 01-08-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
anonimouse
anonimouse began at the beginning.

Device: Ematic 106
I just won one of these on Ebay & just got it today. I am just getting started. It's got a lot of info on the Amazon page for "Ematic 7 TFT Color eBook Reader - Black". I did notice that some mention to "drag & drop" the books from your pc onto the eReader. Hope that helps. Are you using Kobo (from what I understand that is what comes on it) or some other software for your library?
anonimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not quite sure what to make of this Overdrive list of "Adobe EPUB and PDF Incompatible Devices," but the EB106 is on it, along with, as one would expect, the eInk Kindles:

http://www.overdrive.com/resources/d...ledevices.aspx

Reading the manual for the EB106, I don't see any definite statement that it can display content from an encrypted ePUB (AKA Adobe EPUB):

http://www.ematic.us/sites/default/f...vised-7.17.pdf

Question for sparker781: Are you now able to get your device recognized by your PC as one or two letter drives? And have you been able to read any unencrypted ePUB texts?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any of the ePub you download from MR is without DRM. Just pick one and use that.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-09-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
It's got a lot of info on the Amazon page for "Ematic 7 TFT Color eBook Reader - Black".
Ah.

Although clear as mud, I'm getting the impression from the Amazon customer reviews (plus the first link in my last post) that this reader cannot be used for encrypted books.

There are a couple ways around this.

One is to just limit yourself to books that aren't encrypted. Mostly these will be either public domain (published before 1923 in the US, rules vary by country) or other than published by a large publishing house. As JSWolf just mentioned (last phrase an edit), Mobileread has many unencrypted ePUB books that are public domain, mostly legal in the US, and all AFAIK legal in Canada.

Another tactic is to get free software (from another web site people will allude to on this board but can't quite name) that can decrypt books. While I don't totally like this idea, as it can be a first step to book piracy, a great many scrupulously honest people do it.

Web sites I can name and should be checked out include:

http://www.calibre-ebook.com/

http://longform.org/

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-08-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
anonimouse

Ematic 106

Supports: TXT, EPUB, FB2, HTML, PDB & PDF, per their downloadable user manual for the EB106. However, the conversion website *which shall not be named* does NOT support the device. Sigh... I will continue to look at my other bookmarks & notes, as I do believe that I had found a work around. Hopefully that was not the only one. If it is, does that mean that I can't download ANY DRM files? If so, this will be a nifty portable MP4 movie player...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
anonimouse

MR?

Quote:
Any of the ePub you download from MR is without DRm. Just pick one and use that.
Okay, I am totally new to this, but I have no idea what MR is???
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
sparker781

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I'm not quite sure what to make of this Overdrive list of "Adobe EPUB and PDF Incompatible Devices," but the EB106 is on it, along with, as one would expect, the eInk Kindles:

http://www.overdrive.com/resources/d...ledevices.aspx

Reading the manual for the EB106, I don't see any definite statement that it can display content from an encrypted ePUB (AKA Adobe EPUB):

http://www.ematic.us/sites/default/f...vised-7.17.pdf

Question for sparker781: Are you now able to get your device recognized by your PC as one or two letter drives? And have you been able to read any unencrypted ePUB texts?
To answer this question: Yes I can get my device recognized by my PC...Unfortunately it shows up as the device name EB106: I am on Windows 7 however my gf whom I am trying to figure this out for is on Windows XP on her netbook
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
Okay, I am totally new to this, but I have no idea what MR is???
MR = MobileRead

Use this link to find ePub eBooks on MR.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=130