Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Twain, Mark: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. (Illustrated) v2 6 Aug 2011

Mark Twain (real name Samuel Langhorne Clemens) (1835-1910) is probably one of the most known American writers. He was immensely popular in his time, especially noted for his wit and humour, and he is still widely quoted nowadays.

Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are probably the best known characters of Mark Twain, and "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" (1876) is the first book where they appear. Here we read about the games Tom plays with his friends and schoolmates, as pirates, Robin Hood, etc., his flirtations with Becky Thatcher, his search for a hidden treasure, his troubles with "Injun Joe"...

This version includes the illustrations of the first edition, by True Williams (I wish I could have used Norman Rockwell's, maybe in 2029), and is proofread (or "smoothread"), which was not easy, because the txt and html versions in PG have different text, and both are different from the 1st edition scans, which is itself inconsistent... Oh, and it is the uncensored text, so don't complain if you find some n-words.

From the technical point of view, the chapter titles use illustrations with text wrap around them. If this is not desired (or does not work for a given reader), it can be disabled by commenting/uncommenting the top lines in OEBPS/css/style.css. In Chapter V there is a small fragment of SVG which may not look fine in some readers, the normal XHTML code is commented out in OEBPS/Chapter-05.xhtml, if it's desired. In Chapter X there is a piece of handwriting as an illustration, the text is also commented out in OEBPS/Chapter-10.xhtml, if needed.

All feedback is welcome.

EDIT (v2): Fixed typo in TOC

(Previous dowload count: 211)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.epub (10.99 MB, 2611 views)

Last edited by Jellby; 08-06-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
I hope nobody minds the bump....

This is a really beautiful thing.

Thanks very much, Jellby.
44reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
karimali
karimali began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for offer.but what i don't like about your version is opening of each chapter pictures.i tried to remove them but it didn't work well.please forgive my bad English.
karimali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can disable the text-wrapping around the chapter pictures by changing the first lines of the OEBPS/css/style.css file that you can find inside the epub (edit with Sigil, or with any text editor after extracting from the epub, which is just a renamed zip):

Code:
/* Wrap text around chapter titles: */
@import url("wrap.css");
/* Do not wrap text around chapter titles: */
/* @import url("nowrap.css"); */
Simply comment out (or delete the) "wrap.css" line and uncomment the "nowrap.css" line, i.e., make it look like this:

Code:
/* @import url("wrap.css"); */
@import url("nowrap.css");
If you want to remove those images completely, add "display: none;" to the div.chapter-head block in the same file.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've just downloaded this version and I've found a problem with the illustrations. They don't resize with the size of the ADE window and on this laptop with a screen size of 1280x800, the images are just too big. The chapter images are on one page and the wrapping text on the next. Any change of fixing this?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You can disable the text-wrapping around the chapter pictures by changing the first lines of the OEBPS/css/style.css file that you can find inside the epub (edit with Sigil, or with any text editor after extracting from the epub, which is just a renamed zip):

Code:
@import url("wrap.css");
/* @import url("nowrap.css"); */
Simply comment out (or delete the) "wrap.css" line and uncomment the "nowrap.css" line, i.e., make it look like this:

Code:
/* @import url("wrap.css"); */
@import url("nowrap.css");
If you want to remove those images completely, add "display: none;" to the div.chapter-head block in the same file.
That is just a superb idea, Jellby, thanks so much. I'm going to download the ebook to check out your CSS.

P.S. I working on The Innocents Abroad with grannyGrumpy. it has well over two hundred illustrations, some with text flowing around and some not, and with different proportions; it will be interesting to see if I can work out a way of using the same markup for the right or left floated images and the centred or full width images.

Last edited by AlexBell; 05-20-2013 at 03:20 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:47 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I have a problem with both this and Huck Finn. If I Kepub it so that the images are larger and can be expanded, then the image at the beginning of the Chapters is so squashed up that I can't see it.

The chapter images can be seen as intended if I load an epub onto my Kobo Libra, but the other images are very small and can't be expanded in anyway.

I'm using Calibre. Is there a non-technical way round this?

Thanks in advance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:21 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I had similar issues with GrannyGrump's wrapped version, notably the Chapter images. Her no-wrap version works well as a compromise.

I wonder if the more modern ereader I'm using (Kobo Libra 2) or its patches are causing the problems.
JSWolf kindly sent me the patches after I was having difficulties getting the ones I'd edited to work.

My Kobo is still using firmware 4.30.18838.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:04 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Did you try "commenting/uncommenting the top lines in OEBPS/css/style.css"? That should be equivalent to a "no wrap" version, as far as I remember. PM me if you'd like me to upload a modified file or try something else.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:08 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It could be an issue with the KePub software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor, mississippi, youth