Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
youngone
youngone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS550
Question Sony ereader software will not launch

My first post - I'm really impressed with this community and have already made use of postings advising how to unfreeze my 505 and what might be causing it to freeze. Also was sent a couple of free books by a member to get me started, everyone here is so generous!

Lately I'm having problems launching the Sony ereader software I've used it OK before, haven't updated it or my operating system (Windows XP) but now it won't open. When I double click its icon, or try to launch it in other ways, the hourglass comes up, goes away again and nothing happens. No error messages, nothing. I haven't tried getting rid of it and reinstalling as I'm concerned that might affect my use of the 505 (would its authorisation become invalid?)

It's not critically important, as I've downloaded Calibre (wow!!!) so am using that for my day to day book management. However if I need the Sony software in the future I could be stuck.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening and what I could try?

Many thanks
x
youngone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I had the exact same problem as you did. The software worked fine for about a week then quit loading. The only way I could get it to work was to create a new user account in XP. When I sign in the new user account the program works fine. Of course I would like to find the real solution to the problem.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Me too

I had that problem when I originally installed version 3. After spending way too much time trying to fix the problem, I went back to version 2.5 which worked perfectly fine. With the version 3.xxxx that just came out last week, I uninstalled version 2.5 and had to temporarily turn off my internet protection suite (firewall, antivirus) in order to get the install to work. Now it all works perfectly fine. By the way, I'm running Windows XP too.

If you do some searching there are several threads that talk about various solutions to getting the Sony library software to run on your computer. The topic was thoroughly discussed when the original version 3 came out and many had problems installing and running the program.

Good luck!
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
youngone
youngone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS550
Thank for the help - I'll have a trawl through the postings and see what I can find to try.
youngone is offline   Reply With Quote