Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #151
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
hmmmm I have version 2.52 firmware on my touch(2gig internal and sd slot version)... Added a few extra fpnts from here and they are listed in settings etc but when I change to them nothing happens...they display as previous default fonts(which ever preinstall font I was using)

is there something else I should be doing?

Have turn off etc to make sure this wasnt the cause...
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #152
eutimiaf
eutimiaf began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I played with it since the defaults set a page number that was half off the screen and so small that what I could see was unreadable. After playing a bit, I found 60 for the min and max height and 10 for qproperty-footerMargin was about the best compromise for me basically losing 1 line at the bottom of the screen.

Regards,
David
for kobo glo settings where you have to edit.
: Thanks:
eutimiaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #153
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eutimiaf View Post
for kobo glo settings where you have to edit.
: Thanks:
That post was for the earlier version of the patcher, with v7 of the patcher, there is a single location for the patch which got around some errors where the replacement code was too large to fit in the available space. For v7, I commented out the first line by adding a # before it which removes the footer and, uncommented and modified the second line as follows as in the code box below.

Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Disable footer example
# replace_zlib = 13508E4, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 15;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `* {\n\theight: 5px;\n\tfont-size: 1px;\n\tcolor: transparent;\n}\n\n`
# Decrease footer example
replace_zlib = 13508E4, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 15;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `* {\n\theight: 25px;\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n`
</Patch>
For the Glo, I would replace the `* {\n\theight: 25px;\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n` with `* {\n\theight: 18px;\n\tfont-size: 14px;\n}\n\n` allowing for the lower pixel count on the Glo screen.

Do not use the two lines as I've posted since the data location is modified for the v2.9.0 firmware, just modify the last portion of the line.

I'd suggest checking the Kobo Patcher thread in the Kobo Developer's Corner forum for more information on the various versions of the patcher before you apply it to your ereader.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 11-02-2013 at 07:40 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there a version of the patcher that works with 2.10?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #155
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Based on how few have 2.10 (and the fact the beta users got a different build of 2.10) at this time no.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #156
eutimiaf
eutimiaf began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That post was for the earlier version of the patcher, with v7 of the patcher, there is a single location for the patch which got around some errors where the replacement code was too large to fit in the available space. For v7, I commented out the first line by adding a # before it which removes the footer and, uncommented and modified the second line as follows as in the code box below.

Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Disable footer example
# replace_zlib = 13508E4, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 15;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `* {\n\theight: 5px;\n\tfont-size: 1px;\n\tcolor: transparent;\n}\n\n`
# Decrease footer example
replace_zlib = 13508E4, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 15;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `* {\n\theight: 25px;\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n`
</Patch>
For the Glo, I would replace the `* {\n\theight: 25px;\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n` with `* {\n\theight: 18px;\n\tfont-size: 14px;\n}\n\n` allowing for the lower pixel count on the Glo screen.

Do not use the two lines as I've posted since the data location is modified for the v2.9.0 firmware, just modify the last portion of the line.

I'd suggest checking the Kobo Patcher thread in the Kobo Developer's Corner forum for more information on the various versions of the patcher before you apply it to your ereader.

Regards,
David
: Thanks: David.
eutimiaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #157
vernel1008
vernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Glo
Sideloaded Font Problem

I sideloaded fonts on my Kobo Glo 3.0.0.
Well, I sideloaded these fonts way back from FW 2.4

The problem I encountered is some of the fonts are not showing in the options. I tried the naming scheme suggested in the first post. I also tried deleting the - and _.

Sample of the fonts I used was DroidSans and Roboto.

Thank you for the help.

I rarely post in MobileRead, but I usually read a lot of the discussions.
vernel1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #158
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernel1008 View Post
I sideloaded fonts on my Kobo Glo 3.0.0.
Well, I sideloaded these fonts way back from FW 2.4

The problem I encountered is some of the fonts are not showing in the options. I tried the naming scheme suggested in the first post. I also tried deleting the - and _.

Sample of the fonts I used was DroidSans and Roboto.

Thank you for the help.

I rarely post in MobileRead, but I usually read a lot of the discussions.
There's a couple of things you can check.

1. Did you remember to reboot after you added them?

2. If you have added a lot of fonts... I've noticed that when scrolling through the font list top-to-bottom sometimes a font is not visible on the list. If you scroll to the bottom of the list then start scrolling backwards the font will appear. I have had occasions when a font still doesn't appear. In this case try adding an extra font or removing one. It must be something to do with the number of fonts versus the page-down method Kobo is using.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #159
vernel1008
vernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
There's a couple of things you can check.

1. Did you remember to reboot after you added them?

2. If you have added a lot of fonts... I've noticed that when scrolling through the font list top-to-bottom sometimes a font is not visible on the list. If you scroll to the bottom of the list then start scrolling backwards the font will appear. I have had occasions when a font still doesn't appear. In this case try adding an extra font or removing one. It must be something to do with the number of fonts versus the page-down method Kobo is using.

Ans.1. - Yup, I usually reboot my Kobo Glo after putting the font files.

Ans.2. - Actually I'm trying your suggestion of removing some of the fonts which works. Still, no new fonts can be seen in the option.

I'm trying to do some experimentation and guess why some of the sideloaded fonts work and some don't. I think you are right with the number of fonts vs page-down method. I'll dig deeper inside the font files and see their differences.

UPDATE:

I guess there is a limit in the number of fonts that Kobo can handle. I tried removing all of the sideloaded fonts and put the not working fonts one by one. They can be seen in the "Font Face" when they are alone in the font folder. Putting too many fonts possibly create problem somewhere.

Thanks.
~vernel

Last edited by vernel1008; 11-20-2013 at 01:16 AM.
vernel1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #160
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a version of the patcher that works with 2.10?
2.10.0 is supported as is 3.0.0 in the latest versions of the patcher.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #161
jclim00
Nameless Being

Heads up, I found a really fantastic slab serif, Klinic, from a type foundry where you can pay what you want (if you want it for free, just type 0 in the donation box). The medium weight is perfect on my Kobo Glo.

http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=klinic
Old 01-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #162
donnieparker
donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Bitter Slab, modified

I thought I'd get in on this game! I took the open source font, Bitter, and darkened it a bit for the e-ink screen. I'm kind of in love with it right now, and I thought others might want to try it. I'm finding it a nice alternative to Caecilia (I like how it's less wide).

I've tested it on the Kobo Aura (6"), and it looks pretty sharp. Give it a whirl!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	117622  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Bitter-Modified.zip (197.7 KB, 455 views)
donnieparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #163
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieparker View Post
... I took the open source font, Bitter, and darkened it a bit for the e-ink screen.
Nice work, Donnie! I really like this font. But somehow you must have forgotten to darken the umlaut "ö".

I know, in English you don't need "ö" very often, but in German it appears quite often. Maybe you can darken the "ö" and refresh the zip file? I would be very grateful

edit: after a factory reset (and after applying the latest Kobo Patcher on my Aura 6"), the font seemed to be ok. After playing with the advanced font settings, the issue reappeared. So I think it has nothing to do with the way you darkened the font. Maybe the advanced settings for this side loaded font are to blame. Anyhow, thanks for reading.

Last edited by trekk; 01-10-2014 at 10:08 AM.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #164
donnieparker
donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.donnieparker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Ha! Glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
Nice work, Donnie! I really like this font. But somehow you must have forgotten to darken the umlaut "ö".

I know, in English you don't need "ö" very often, but in German it appears quite often. Maybe you can darken the "ö" and refresh the zip file? I would be very grateful

edit: after a factory reset (and after applying the latest Kobo Patcher on my Aura 6"), the font seemed to be ok. After playing with the advanced font settings, the issue reappeared. So I think it has nothing to do with the way you darkened the font. Maybe the advanced settings for this side loaded font are to blame. Anyhow, thanks for reading.
donnieparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #165
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Well, it turns out, that the Italic-font is to blame. I fixed the "ö" and saved the font as TrueType. Everything is ok now. Thanks again, Donnie!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Bitter dark ttf.zip (190.6 KB, 469 views)
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote