Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Question regarding memory cards

Hi,
I see that supposedly you can add up to a 32GB Micro SDHC memory card. I was wondering if the T1 was actually capable of supporting that amount of data though, or would it cause issues (such as working more slowly)? I don't want to buy such a large capacity memory card, then find out I can only use a limited amount of it. What size memory card can you add without any adverse effects?

Thanks for your help.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Well, I know a 16gb sandisk works just fine...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
With the size of ebooks I'd say a 32gb sized card is extreme overkill, I'd honestly say don't go higher than 8gb cards as you will never get anywhere close to filling it anyway.

By my way of thinking the average epub is about 5mb in filesize so by my admitedly guesswork calculation you are looking at easily over 200 books per single gb and that on it's own would be years of reading.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The majority of my epubs are between 200-600kb only, averaging being around 350kb. The only ones that get over 1mb are those heavy with images. If you have mostly textbooks, that could account for a larger file size you're used to seeing maybe.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The majority of my epubs are between 200-600kb only, averaging being around 350kb. The only ones that get over 1mb are those heavy with images. If you have mostly textbooks, that could account for a larger file size you're used to seeing maybe.
Your probably right I just google searched for an average size but if I adjust the epub size to 700kb that makes 1497 books per gb so either way it's a ton of reading.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
I have a 4gb card and 2,100 books on the combined device and card. That leaves 200mb space on the device and over 3gb on the card.
The reader vis a T2, it so far has not slowed down and should hold thousands more books.
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinath View Post
Hi,
I see that supposedly you can add up to a 32GB Micro SDHC memory card. I was wondering if the T1 was actually capable of supporting that amount of data though, or would it cause issues (such as working more slowly)? I don't want to buy such a large capacity memory card, then find out I can only use a limited amount of it. What size memory card can you add without any adverse effects?

Thanks for your help.
I will try and answer your question rather than just tell you that you don't want a big card .

I have not tried a 32 GB card but currently use a 8GB card with no issues at all. I keep reference and non-fiction books I want to have at hand on the card so are generally books of large size and complex structure, so is an environment which would show any issues should there be any.

Earlier, when I used the T1 for audio books and music (which, for the benefit of others, is a use of the T1 which does require a big card), I used a 16GB card as well, again with no issues at all for those file types.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that if you are considering buying a card my own approach is to buy as big a card as budget allows as even if it may not be fully utilised in the device it is being considered for, it gives the later flexibility to swap cards between devices that will use the full capacity (phones, players, etc.). So, regardless of the expected capacity to be actually used, for myself the continuing drop in prices means that now I would not consider buying a card less than 32GB, and possibly even a 64GB one if the device allowed.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 03-26-2013 at 04:36 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
For most people a 2GB card is probably sufficient.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
For most people a 2GB card is probably sufficient.
But an uneconomic purchase because such small cards are now pretty much superseded. Our own usual supplier does not even restock 2GB MMC cards anymore and 4GB ones are close to disappearing too.

A 4GB card costs about the same as the very few 2GB cards remaining in his stock, and an 8MB card of the same reputable manufacturer, class, etc. can cost within cents the same as a 4GB one, and one has to pay only very little more again for a 16GB one (equivalent of a few USD more).

Currently with our usual supplier, the only difference in cost worth considering is between 16GB and 32 GB MMCs and I think on price most would go for the 32 GB as there is a big jump currently to 64GB.

It would seem to me to be of no merit, at current prices, to buy anything less than 16 Gb and likely 32GB is the best buy regardless of how little of its capacity one thinks it will be used in ones CURRENT device. One can at minimal cost purchase to keep ones options open and flexible to cover one possible future needs.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bought a 4GB Sandisk for 3.68 in November. I see the price has gone up. The 2GB cards I bought in August were 3.59 each. Looks like the current prices (on Amazon) for 2, 4 and 8 are all roughly the same. So I can see why one might forgo the 2GB and get the 8GB. You'd certainly never run out of room on your Sony.

In any case, I do know of a person who, as a test, filled up a 32GB card in her Sony T2. She said it stalled at more than 8,000 books. She went back to using 2GB cards.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
...So I can see why one might forgo the 2GB and get the 8GB. You'd certainly never run out of room on your Sony.
Never is a dangerous word to commit oneself too, especially emphasised by underlining it :-).

You certainly would run out of room with an 8GB card on a T1 if you use it for music and/or audio books as I pointed out I, and I know others, have done.

I cannot fit even a moderate selection out of my music collection on a 16GB card, let alone an 8GB one, and so no room left for any audio or ebooks on it.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Your internal memory (1.4 gb) will hold over a 1000 normal epub books.. I use my 4gb card as a backup... a lot of card access seems to drain the battery a lot quicker
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Never is a dangerous word to commit oneself too, especially emphasised by underlining it :-).

You certainly would run out of room with an 8GB card on a T1 if you use it for music and/or audio books as I pointed out I, and I know others, have done.

I cannot fit even a moderate selection out of my music collection on a 16GB card, let alone an 8GB one, and so no room left for any audio or ebooks on it.
I stand corrected. I was thinking only of epub books. I am kind of amazed that anyone would put music on their Sony. I've got handfuls of mp3 players for that.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Teknikal
Fanatic

I think the Reader would be pretty terrible to use for audio in truth it's only got a tiny 1000mah battery inside it while this should last weeks for reading I wouldn't expect audio to last very long at all.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I think the Reader would be pretty terrible to use for audio in truth it's only got a tiny 1000mah battery inside it while this should last weeks for reading I wouldn't expect audio to last very long at all.
Well, please tell us how your T1 compared on battery life when playing audio compared to playing audio through other audio playing devices.

My own experience was that it was not much different, to the extent that I could not tell. Which was not a surprise to me as, in the main, they have batteries no, or only little bigger than the T1.

In the end all I am saying is that it is an uneconomic decision to buy anything less than a 16Gb card on current pricing, and for not a lot more one can get a 32GB card which provides some future proofing for use in future devices . It is not as if what may be surplus capacity to you is going to rot away and so be wasted and lost. They are not like milk, bread, etc.

But, if you and others want to buy a 2GB card well you are entitled to, your decision, not mine. As long as you are happy. But it is bad advice to infer to others that such a purchase is best for them.

So I'll leave the nay sayers with that and move on.