Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
pamam
pamam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
pdf files don't display pictures or are blurred

My Kindle DX has a lot of pdf files but none of these display the pictures of screen shots very well or at all. It will display tables and code and flow chart style drawing such as OSI Stacks etc.
Is there a newer version of the viewer in DX? My version is 2.5.8 overall version.
thanks,

Mel
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/help.gif
pamam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:14 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Firmware 2.5.8 is the most recent for the DX(G).

Are you the original owner?
Did you buy it new?
Did you buy it used or 're-furbished'?

Do the Amazon screen saver images display sharp and clear?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2014, 01:08 AM   #3
pamam

pdf files don't display pictures or are blurred

I'm the original owner and I bought it just recently, I think it might have been a model that some reseller had in stock. If you are asking this because I said there are a lot pdf files on there then that is because I loaded them on the DX myself. However the problem was there with the very first pdf file I copied to the drive via my laptop.

The Amazon screen saver images are just great.

Occasionally I get a pdf that works fine and does display the images correctly at first but further into the file they start to degrade.

It also sometimes out of the blue will go back to the home screen when I squeeze the case a little to hard at one spot. It could be a loose connection I think. But that is not critical at this time; the image problem is far worse.

By the way these pdf files are form the website it-ebooks.com. They work fine on my laptop but not on my Kindle DX.

Mel

Last edited by pamam; 07-18-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Can you provide a picture of the screen to better explain what you mean by "blurred"? Of course, the screen is "only" 1200x824px, so the resolution certainly doesn't allow for a lot of fine detail. But I'm not sure yet what you are dealing with here.

As for knc1's question: I think what he was up to is that there are some eink screens that have plain wrong waveform data, which leads to strange effects especially visible with images. However, that applies to all images, so you would see that in the screensavers too if you had that problem. You seemingly haven't, though.

Edit/PS: As it's about screenshots: If those screenshots are only part of the width of the page (so they get displayed at - much? - less than 824px width) and are screenshots of much higher resolution screens, I guess you might simply be seeing aliasing and resampling effects. On the other side, tables and charts are likely not raster-image based and it's easier to do a good job rendering them.

Last edited by hawhill; 07-18-2014 at 03:23 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:31 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That was the direction of my thoughts: "Had the screen been replaced?".

Since recently purchased, it has to be a "re-furbished" unit (The DX(G) models have not been built for years).

But as Hawhill points out, the screen savers rendition would also be affected.

A screenshot of a blurred example (with a link to the pdf file if it is public) should help at this point.
Advert
Old 07-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
Aanya
Enthusiast
Aanya began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Well, could you please check with any tech guy or contact to kindle customer care.
I think there may be any setting or hardware damage that's way some times it's looks fine and some times blur. Did you check that same files with any of your friends device?
Aanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanya View Post
Well, could you please check with any tech guy or ...
- - - -
What are we?
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
pamam

don't display pictures or are blurred

Attached are the figures in the pdf files where I'm having problems. I did not get a good shot of the normal pictures that are like flow charts and not images per se.

Thanks for all the response.

P.S. I'll try to find the amazon customer service for this problem as well, as suggested, thought last time I could not find one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0509.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	125843   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0510.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	125844  
Old 07-28-2014, 04:01 AM   #9
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, that looks bad indeed. It even looks a bit like hardware failure, but that just has to be a coincidence if other images - like the screensaver ones - do display fine. However, there might be a slight chance that the eink waveforms are broken (for certain update methods only). But given the circumstances, my bet is still on software issues or data issues. Do you see similar issues with other images, like book covers, PDF files from completely different sources? You say it affects "screenshots" - however, this is not a technical category of images in a PDF. There, you would have "pixel based" images and vector graphics. For the former, PDF knows about a multitude of different encodings.

I'd really get in touch with Amazon CS. There is - as far as I know - only a general CS for Kindle issues, not specialized ones for different categories of problems.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
- - - - -
I'd really get in touch with Amazon CS. There is - as far as I know - only a general CS for Kindle issues, not specialized ones for different categories of problems.
And Amazon CS is using very old keyboards, they only have canned answers PF1 .. PF8

• PF1 - Sorry, your Kindle does not support that.
  • PF2 - Always glad to receive customer suggestions. We will advise the development team.
  • PF3 - Buy a newer model
  • PF4 - So sue us
  • PF5 - It is blacklisted
  • PF6 - Call someone who cares
  • PF7 - It is PEBCAK
  • PF8 - Let me transfer you, "click"
Old 07-29-2014, 03:26 AM   #11
hawhill
Wizard

Oh, the Kindle CS I dealt with also had that "aw, too bad, we'll send you an exchange unit" button :-) Maybe things changed in the last 2 years, though. They can't play nice forever, I guess.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
pamam

DX(G) pdf files don't display pictures or are blurred

Thanks, guys. I was afraid it was going to end up this way. I waited too long for the price to be reasonable and got caught in the fray.
Anyway, the moving is changing as well. Now after reading a whole book with the pictures/images showing up great all of a sudden they are turning out to be blurred as well now. Remind me never to buy anything Amazon makes in the future since their service and product is so sh***y.

Thanks for all your help.

Mel
Old 08-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

The e-ink screens where not **suppose** to age, but ....
It does seem that the older the screen gets, they turn Umber in color.

Since the DX has not been built for years, you probably have a very old screen.
(The price of a new screen is almost the cost of a used DX(G) -
You can bet that the refurbisher did not install a new screen.)

Tags
convert, pdf, pictures, software, version