Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Android Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
denverh
Enthusiast
denverh began at the beginning.

Device: prs-650
Screen Refresh For Kobo Android?

Hello,

I've been using Android on my Kobo Glo for a while now, and I think it's great. The reader app I like best is FBReader. One deficiency is that there's no screen refresh, so ghosts accumulate with each page turn, and eventually reduce contrast to an annoying level. So I decided to see if I could fix up FBReader with some kind of refresh for this device. It seemed to me that it would be easiest to begin with a stand-alone command that would refresh the screen. I did some searching and found a number of examples that I thought could be made to work. One was quite simple, and although it was intended for a different model, it wasn't too hard to get it to work on the Glo running standard firmware (not Android).

The next step was to see if I could get it to work on the Android Glo. I set up an Android development environment, built my program as a stand-alone command, and tried it. It doesn't work. The program contains one ioctl(), and that fails with errno 25. I tried with some different code that I had found, and the same thing happens. However, it looks like ioctl() calls that read don't fail, just the ones that write.

Is there something special that needs to be done to get output ioctl()s to work on Android?

Regards,

Denver
denverh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Hi Denver !

I solved this problem. I'm planning to post new image on this forum, soon.

I patched coolreader3 to do full refreshes after chosen number of pages. It is really similar to FBreader.

All source codes are on my git-hub page: https://github.com/marek-g. I had to change kernel and add write permission for every user to fb0 device.

Best Regards,
Marek
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Here it is:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=244000
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
denverh
Enthusiast

Hi Marek,

It seemed like a permission problem that I was running into, but I couldn't figure out what needed to be changed. I'll give this a try as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Denver
Old 08-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
denverh
Enthusiast

Hi Marek,

This looks very good. I appreciate you work.

Thanks,

Denver