Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Any way to make epub files look more like LRF?

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of converting my LRF books into epub format. I figure it's about time since even the Sony reader store has adopted the industry standard.

I started with a few and I although the look of the epub books is not bad, I am just accustomed to LRF and would prefer it. For example, the default small font of epub files is 1 or 2 sizes too small. Also, I don't really like the font it has after I convert them using Calibre (version 0.7 is amazing by the way, GUI is much cleaner and modern).

Is there a way I can modify the way they look? If yes, can you recommend a good font to use?

Thank you.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
In Calibre you can set the base font size. - Preferences-Conversion-Look and Feel

You can change the font using PRS+ and css sheets. See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64510

The best font is all personal preference. Personally, I like Google's Droid font.
http://damieng.com/blog/2007/11/14/d...oogle-ascender
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
It seems like the answer to everything is PRS+.

I'm not trying to flame here, but as one who does not want to modify their firmware -- and has multiple readers, so modifying one doesn't help the other -- the PRS+ solution is... not!

One question I still haven't had answered is what is the default LRF font, and how do you select it for ePUBs? Without using PRS+ of course.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
LRFs usually look better than EPUBs anyway so why not leave them in LRF. If you buy a new non-Sony reader convert them then.Unless you have multiple devices you want to read them on in which case it makes sense to have a standard platform
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
It seems like the answer to everything is PRS+.

I'm not trying to flame here, but as one who does not want to modify their firmware -- and has multiple readers, so modifying one doesn't help the other -- the PRS+ solution is... not!

One question I still haven't had answered is what is the default LRF font, and how do you select it for ePUBs? Without using PRS+ of course.

-Pie
I agree, I wouldn't want to modify my reader with questionable third-party firmware either. Besides, it is not for those who aren't geeky!

LRF files have embedded fonts, so there is no default font for them. Each publisher chooses the fonts they want. The Sony Readers do have three fonts installed for default use with ePubs, and they are crappy fonts.

The fonts that come with the Sony Reader are:

Swis721 BT, (filename tt0003m_.ttf), sans serif (normally used for headings)

Dutch801 Rm BT, (filename tt0011m_.ttf), serif (normally used for the main body text)

Courier10 BT, (filename tt0419m_.ttf), monotype

You can use calibre to adjust the font sizes and modify the CSS (cascading style sheets) for an ePb. The CSS gets complicated and requires that you look at the CSS in the ePub. Do a search in the forum for more info on modifying the CSS. You can also add fonts to the reader, but that is complicated too and requires CSS to use those aditional fonts.
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I agree, I wouldn't want to modify my reader with questionable third-party firmware either. Besides, it is not for those who aren't geeky!
Where to start?!?

PRS+ does not modify your firmware. It adds functions on top.

"Questionable"?? Really? There are many satisfied users out there.

Need to be a geek? Wrong again. I use it and I'm certainly no geek when it comes to computer knowledge. Is the following not geeky?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
]modify the CSS (cascading style sheets) for an ePb. The CSS gets complicated and requires that you look at the CSS in the ePub. Do a search in the forum for more info on modifying the CSS. You can also add fonts to the reader, but that is complicated too and requires CSS to use those aditional fonts.
Lastly, who said PRS+ is the answer to everything? I mentioned it as an easier method than yours to get external fonts.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Where to start?!?

PRS+ does not modify your firmware. It adds functions on top.

"Questionable"?? Really? There are many satisfied users out there.

Need to be a geek? Wrong again. I use it and I'm certainly no geek when it comes to computer knowledge. Is the following not geeky?

Lastly, who said PRS+ is the answer to everything? I mentioned it as an easier method than yours to get external fonts.
As I said, my post wasn't meant as a flame, so I apologize if it came across that way.

Whenever I ask a modification question about ePUB, the answer is universally "PRS+"! I have never had anyone tell me how to make a CSS file reference the LRF fonts (listed above) without first telling me about installing fonts via PRS+. So it was really a comment on my experience.

In terms of "questionable," I can say -- as a geek who has hacked many devices -- that add-ons and hacks are always questionable. PRS+ works well for the majority of people, but that does not eliminate the possibility of some glitch on some particular 505 that causes a crash. There's even a warning in the PRS+ download! But due to the number of good installs, it's proven to be a reasonably safe install.

However, I don't want to install and depend on PRS+ for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is owning a PRS-600, and planning on purchasing other Sony Readers when they hit the market. We need a future-proof solution, one that does not depend on PRS+, so that we can reasonably expect it to work on our future reader purchases.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 06-06-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Umm yeah what edbro said. +rep to you edbro.

I finally took the PRS+ plunge and I really like the extra functions I have with my 505 now. IMO there is nothing questionable about it.

Kartu and the other devs should be charging for this (if it is legal to do), but don't tell em, they might actually start doing it.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thafrogggg View Post
Umm yeah what edbro said. +rep to you edbro.

I finally took the PRS+ plunge and I really like the extra functions I have with my 505 now. IMO there is nothing questionable about it.

Kartu and the other devs should be charging for this (if it is legal to do), but don't tell em, they might actually start doing it.
And what happens when you replace your 505 with another Sony Reader that doesn't "support" PRS+?

I'm not questioning the awesomeness of PRS+, but wanting a solution that works for all Sony Readers, and future readers, is enough to keep me from using it.

-Pie
Old 06-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
edbro
Banned

Embed fonts in epubs:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61587

Just be aware of the tradeoffs.
- If you want your files to be universal to any device then you have to modify each and every file. But, once done, they will use the font on whatever device you view them on.
- If you use a universal style sheet on the device, you don't have to modify any epubs, all of them will use the font specified in the style.css. The drawback is, as you already mentioned, they will only use the modified font on that device.

For me, I use a universal style sheet. If I ever trade my Sony for another device, then I would have to go back and modify each epub if I didn't like the default font. Of course, if I went the other route, I would still have to go back and modify each and every epub. I literally have thousands.

Last edited by edbro; 06-06-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
I actually discovered PRS+ before I read the replies to this post.

I'm a sucker for community firmware for devices so I didn't hesitate to apply it. It's pretty cool, a lot of good features that should have been present on the official firmware.

Though I'm still trying to figure out how to use different fonts.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
edbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
Though I'm still trying to figure out how to use different fonts.
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/InstallGuide
Scroll down until you see "Epub file fonts".

PRS+ is pretty cool. You can actually have many different fonts and be able to switch back and forth between them.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Embed fonts in epubs:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61587

Just be aware of the tradeoffs.
- If you want your files to be universal to any device then you have to modify each and every file. But, once done, they will use the font on whatever device you view them on.
- If you use a universal style sheet on the device, you don't have to modify any epubs, all of them will use the font specified in the style.css. The drawback is, as you already mentioned, they will only use the modified font on that device.

For me, I use a universal style sheet. If I ever trade my Sony for another device, then I would have to go back and modify each epub if I didn't like the default font. Of course, if I went the other route, I would still have to go back and modify each and every epub. I literally have thousands.
But the default LRF font is already on the Reader! Do I still have to embed it, or is there a way to reference it without PRS+?

-Pie
Old 06-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #14
edbro
Banned

If you are happy with the reader's default font then you don't need to do anything. If you want to use a different font then you either need to embed it in the file or use a style sheet that refers to another font you copy over to the reader.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #15
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
And what happens when you replace your 505 with another Sony Reader that doesn't "support" PRS+?

I'm not questioning the awesomeness of PRS+, but wanting a solution that works for all Sony Readers, and future readers, is enough to keep me from using it.

-Pie
Then I wait for someone to develop something that improves upon said device (if it needs improvement like I feel the 505 does). If no one does anything for it, then I learn to live with any limitations.

The main reason I use PRS+ is that it allows me to more easily keep my entire ebook library (over 1,200 book) on my SD card and, paired with Calibre, it is organized in an easily searchable format.

Every ebook I have on my 505 can be transferred to just about any device out there. Especially since I use Calibre and am able to convert formats if needed.

That is a good question though. +Karma to you -Pie
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote