Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Lead Expression
Lead Expression began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Cybook freezes on library

Dear all,
I have a Cybook Gen3 from about 2 years, I used it not so much actually. A couple of months ago, it started freezing on startup precisely when the library is loaded. I tried everything:
1) W/ and w/o sd card
2) Reinstall firmware (2.1)
3) Format the SD card
4) Format the cybook

The result is (almost) always the same: the cybook freezes when the library is loaded, the green led is on and I can do anything. Sometimes the led is off but I can't send a command at all. It started working today after the firmware update but on the following reboot the same happened.

What do you suggest to do? Is it dead?
Lead Expression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
How about the battery? Maybe it is dying.
And do you remember copying any books to your reader before this happened? Sometimes a corrupt book may lead to freezing the library.

Welcome to MobileRead, Lead Expression!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
Lead Expression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
How about the battery? Maybe it is dying.
I don't think so because the green led remains on all the time until the reader is completely discharged (more than 1 hour). The library is loaded and the battery level is estimated to be 100-90%.

Quote:
And do you remember copying any books to your reader before this happened?
Sometimes a corrupt book may lead to freezing the library.
Well, actually I bought a very big ebook (about 4Mb) and it took a long time to load (about 10s) but in the end it was loaded and I was able to read. The crash happened after about 1 month of no use.
In any case, I've formatted both the SD card and the Cybook, so at the moment there are no data at all. The last test I want to try is to format again and install again the firmware (at the moment I tried to boot the reader after the format without reinstall the firmware). I don't think the data could have corrupted the firmware so that it don't works also after the format... But at the moment I don't have other possibilities, except for the customer support (but the warranty is expired... ).

Any idea? Just to try to understand where is the problem and to try to estimate if it can be effective to repair or not...

Quote:
Welcome to MobileRead, Lead Expression!
Thank you very much, glad to be there
Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Kino
Enthusiast
Kino began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
I have had my Cybook Gen3 for about the same length of time and I'm noticing that it. too, freezes occasionally even though the battery indicator is at 70%.

I have not added any books which may cause a problem.

The problem does go away after re-charging the battery (even though at 70% it should be ok!) so I suspect that it is actually a battery problem.

I believe replacement batteries can be bought and fitted if you know how to use a soldering iron...

So I would suggest leaving it on charge for a few hours then note at what battery indicator level the problem starts to occur.
Kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Lead Expression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino View Post
So I would suggest leaving it on charge for a few hours then note at what battery indicator level the problem starts to occur.
Yours freezes with the green led on too?
Actually I made all the operations after a 1 hour rechargement and it occurs always after that. BTW, I try to recharge for one night hoping you're right. Maybe the 1-month pause is the responsible.

Thank you for your help
Advert