Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #2281
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
I'll never catch up to you . I'm just past the middle of Grave Peril now...and realized a horrible mistake I've made.

Twice Lea's name has been mentioned and both times it was spelled Leanandsidhe...with a "d"
I wasn't sure of the spelling, so I copied it directly out of the text of "Grave Peril!"
Then I got thinking and opened up "Summer Knight".

It's spelled BOTH ways!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lea.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	109421  
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #2282
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Leanansidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I wasn't sure of the spelling, so I copied it directly out of the text of "Grave Peril!"

Yeah, in my paper copy of Grave Peril as well!

Oh, by the way check this out (Quoted from wiki.answers.com):

Quote:
How do you pronounce Leanan Sidhe?

Answer:
When spelled Leanan Sídhe, it is pronounced "Lah-nan Shee-uh." This is the older form, pre-Caighdeán spelling and pronunciation. The leanan sídhe was a member of the aes sídhe who would grant inspiration, though the inspiration came at a cost of an early death, frequently after insanity.

It is not uncommon to find claims that sídhe is pronounced "shee," but that is how you pronounce the Caighdeán spelling of sí. When the IPA (ˈʃiːə) is examined, it is clear that there is a distinct "uh" sound at the end of sídhe. Contrast that with the IPA for sí, (ˈʃiː), and it is obvious even from a cursory glance that there is a difference in pronunciation.

Language trivia: Leannan is the Gaelic word for lover or sweetheart.
...I've been mispronouncing it all along!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #2283
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post

So I wasn't completely wrong! How the heck did that happen? At least I feel a bit better now
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #2284
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Same here
Old 08-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #2285
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Yeah, in my paper copy of Grave Peril as well!

Oh, by the way check this out (Quoted from wiki.answers.com):

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
Same here
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #2286
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool ...about casting another fan film

Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #2287
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Space City Con 2013

Aug 9, 2013

Sit with Jim Butcher and learn about the best ways to blow things up as he pulls from his experience with the Dresden Files and Codex Alera.
From the Panel room at Space City Con 2013. A very good panel from Jim. Well worth the watch from any Dresden Files Fan.

Aug 12, 2013

Rejoin Jim Butcher and discuss how to make people care about the things you blew up and the people in your stories.
Again another very informative panel from Jim.

Last edited by alansplace; 08-16-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: add info...
Old 08-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #2288
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Some Dresden Files Snippits (from White Night)

Quote:
“Do you ever stop joking around?”

“I mutter off-color limericks in my sleep.”

“Just promise me that you’ll watch your back,” Murphy said.

“There once was a girl from Nantucket,” I said. “Her mouth was as big as a bucket.”

Murphy flipped both her hands palms up in a gesture of frustrated surrender. “Dammit, Dresden.”

I lifted an eyebrow. “You seem worried about me.”

--------------------------------------------------------------

“I’m not an idiot. The Wardens keep track of everything. Everyone knows that.”

I sighed. “Yeah, but I forgot to take my George Orwell-shaped multivitamins along with my breakfast bowl of Big Brother Os this morning. I was hoping you could just talk to me for a little while, the way you would with a human being.”

--------------------------------------------------------------

She stopped at an open doorway. “Here we are,” she said, smiling. “If there is anything I can do for you, just pick up the phone on Ms. Demeter’s desk and I’ll answer right away.”

Twenty minutes later, footsteps approached.

A large man came through the door.

“Hendricks,” I greeted Marcone’s primary enforcer with convivial cheer. ”‘Sup?”

Beady eyes settled on me for a second. Hendricks made a growling sound in his throat, checked the rest of the room, and said, over his shoulder, “Clear.”

Marcone came in.

He wore a gunmetal grey Armani suit with Italian leather shoes, and his shirt was open one button at the throat. He was an inch or two above average height, and had looked like an extremely fit forty-year-old ever since I had known him. His haircut was perfect, his grooming immaculate, and his eyes were the color of worn dollar bills. He nodded pleasantly and walked around the large mahogany desk to sit down.

“Wow,” I said. “Ms. Demeter, you look almost exactly like this criminal scumbag I met once.”
Old 08-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #2289
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Small Favor

Quote:
Holy Cow!! Proven Guilty!! What an awesome re-read! Now on to White Night!
I finished my re-read of White Night this morning. It was really a great, great re-read! Next is Small Favor, I'll probably start it sometime tomorrow morning.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #2290
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dresden Files Snippit (from White Night)

Quote:
I lifted my staff and slammed it down on the floor, forcing an effort of will through it to focus the energy of the blow into a far smaller area than the end of the staff. It struck the stone floor, shattering a chunk the size of a big dinner platter with a detonation almost indistinguishable from thunder. Another effort of will sent a rolling wave of silent fire, no more than five or six inches high, down the tunnel floor, in a red carpet of my very own.

I strode down it, Ramirez beside me, the fire rolling back away from our feet as we went, boots striking the stone together. We entered the cavern and found it packed with pale and startled beings, the entire place a wash of beautiful faces and gorgeous wardrobes—except for twenty feet around the entrance, where everyone had hurried away from the blazing herald of our presence.

I ignored everything, scanning the room until I found Grey Cloak, aka Vittorio Malvora, standing next to Madrigal Raith not thirty feet away. The murdering bastards were staring at us, mouths open in shock.

“Vittorio Malvora!” I called, my voice ringing with wrath in the echoing cavern. “Madrigal Raith! I am Harry Dresden, Warden of the White Council of Wizards. Under the Unseelie Accords, I accuse you of murder in a time of peace, and challenge you, here and now, before these witnesses, to trial by combat.” I slammed my staff down again in another shock of thunder, and Hellfire flooded the runes of the staff. “To the death.”

Utter silence fell on the Deeps.

Damn, there ain’t nothing like a good entrance.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #2291
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Harry definitely has style.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #2292
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Hello...anybody here...!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #2293
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother

Quote:

I'm here, I'm here!!!

I'm still reading Summer Knight. About half way through now. As usual I'm enjoying my re-read.

Spoiler:
I'm just at the part where Harry is with Lea in Chicago-over-Chicago watching Summer and Winter prepare for war. Jim gives great descriptions, I find it very easy to "see" what Harry sees.

Even though I've read this a few times and know what happens next I still get excited and nervous for him. Damn Faeries, we're all messed up .
Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #2294
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Released: Magic Rises: A Kate Daniels Novel

Quote:

Magic Rises: A Kate Daniels Novel
Ilona Andrews
Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran, the Beast Lord, struggle to control their beasts, and many of the Pack's shapeshifting children fail to survive to adulthood. The European shapeshifters have a secret medicine that can help and have asked the Beast Lord to arbitrate a dispute—and they’ll pay him in medicine. With the young people’s survival and the Pack’s future at stake, Kate and Curran know they must accept the offer—but they have little doubt that they’re heading straight into a trap…

Last edited by alansplace; 08-20-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: add link...
Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #2295
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Heeeeeeeellllllllllp!

(Also by the way, how does one embed the image in the text instead of attaching it??)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	109663  
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy