Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
jodievt
jodievt began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq
Geo-Restrction #Fail

It seems that they are finding more ways to frustrate honest ereaders. *sigh*

I used on own a Nook - ordered from the US since I am in australia. Now, I have well over 100 ebooks with Nook. I do know how to make them MINE and all that, but this is baffling me...

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab (bought in Aus) And cannot download the Nook andriod due to, you guessed it, Geographical restrictions. I wouldn't think that THIS would be an issue, since well, the app is FREE (I also had NO problem downloading the PC version). But alas, they have decided to cut their market by preventing us from having thier app, hence preventing me from buying their ebooks.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way around this. PLEASE?

Cyber chocolate offered.
jodievt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodievt View Post
It seems that they are finding more ways to frustrate honest ereaders. *sigh*

I used on own a Nook - ordered from the US since I am in australia. Now, I have well over 100 ebooks with Nook. I do know how to make them MINE and all that, but this is baffling me...

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab (bought in Aus) And cannot download the Nook andriod due to, you guessed it, Geographical restrictions. I wouldn't think that THIS would be an issue, since well, the app is FREE (I also had NO problem downloading the PC version). But alas, they have decided to cut their market by preventing us from having thier app, hence preventing me from buying their ebooks.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way around this. PLEASE?

Cyber chocolate offered.
Easy. Download the MarketEnabler app and set it to T-Mobile or Verizon. Then all US apps will be available to you. When downloading actual books you may have to use a VPN or or HTTP server.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
jodievt
jodievt began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq
I don't think it works on a 3G network. I'm getting 'Houston we have a problem' whenever I try and change to a US network.

jodievt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Worked for me --- though I usually don't download anything since I pay the minimum charge and pay per kb. WiFi is available everywhere for me. Perhaps Google has upgraded their market so that they can tell your location through your provider? Try turning off location services.

But, as mentioned, to actually use the Nook application you may have to use a VPN, or some other service. Since a lot of apps will lock you out unless you have a US IP address. I know the Nook app does.

Another option would be is to share your internet connection wirelessly via your computer. You download all the books once and then you can use the app freely to read those.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-31-2011 at 05:53 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote