Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
sabadog
sabadog began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Difficulty connecting Kobo using Calibre

I know there are literally dozens of posts about my problem, but unfortunately I find the solutions difficult to follow (nearly 80 and of course not particularly adept with the computer). This is the message I get when I connect my Kobo to Calibre:

Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 64
in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line
in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py". line
307, in books
File "site=packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py" ,
line 212 in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py",
line 628, in sync-booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py",
line 512, in update-device-database-collections
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

I am in touch with Kobo, but so far the suggestions from the helpers haven't solved the problem.

Please could someone set out for me a step by step solution to this problem? I have done a factory reset but this didn't help with Calibre though it meant that ADE would recognise the Kobo; however although it seemed that ADE was transferring books in fact they don't seem to be there.

Incidentally, I am using the non-wireless Kobo on Windows XP service pack 3

Thank you
sabadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The first question will be "What version of software are you using?" You can find that by pressing the menu button, then selecting "Settings". The software version is near the middle of the page. It may be 1.0.x or 1.4.x or 1.8.x. Since the layout of the database changed from 1.4 to 1.8, we need to know which version you have.
The second question will be "Which version of Calibre are you using?" because Calibre had to change to work with the new Kobo versions.
Once those questions are answered, we'll probably have more questions... but we've (the group) had pretty good success solving these things.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
sabadog

Thank you for your swift reply, Pholy.

Calibre is version 7.42 (I see there is an update available, but thought I should leave that for the time being).

My Kobo is 1.83

In my original post I should have said that everything was fine until I tried to sync with the Borders app, which failed to update and managed to corrupt some of the books on my Kobo. It was after this that the problems began with Calibre
Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, there's the question I forgot to ask... Is your Borders App updated, as well? My Kobo Desktop app is version 1.8, and I used it to update my Kobo. If you have an old app, I suspect that would foul up your database. Also, I did not replace my database with the 1.8 database (supplied in a sticky here), and I am having the now documented problems with repeated text. I haven't connected to Calibre (I just drag 'n drop my books to sideload), so I don't know if I would get the same errors you have. I will have to replace my database before I do much more reading with my Kobo.
So there are couple of possibilities to check - your Borders version, and replace the database and reload all your books - synced and sideloaded.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
sabadog

I was so angry with the Borders app (it had been awkward before) that I uninstalled it and don't intend using it again (unless, of course, everyone tells me I have to).
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
since you are using a kobo-1 I would follow the sticky at the top of the page on replaceing teh database for your kobo adn then connect to calibre adn everything should be fine.

One of the nice things about the kobo is that the database files are easy to replace so if anything ever does go wrong you can easily put it back to 'factory new' and start over.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94789

this is the link to the thread you want. Just follow Taming's excellent tutorial (making sure you download the 1.8 firmware file) and make sure to include the kepub file in your process.

Last edited by baronrus; 01-30-2011 at 11:25 AM.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 AM   #7
sabadog

Thank you for your post, baronrus. I have copied and pasted the relevant parts of the thread and tomorrow when I have free time (and when I have plucked up courage!) I will try to follow the instructions. Crossed fingers all round, please!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Let us know what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabadog View Post
Thank you for your post, baronrus. I have copied and pasted the relevant parts of the thread and tomorrow when I have free time (and when I have plucked up courage!) I will try to follow the instructions. Crossed fingers all round, please!
Let us know how it works
Old 02-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
sabadog

I began following the instructions, but when I tried to delete the Images file in Kobo, I was told this couldn't be deleted. I then tried (probably unwisely) to remove the file with Unlocker. Again, although Unlocker said it was deleted, in fact it wasn't and then a message came up to say one of the .epubs was corrupt and unreadable (it also said it was parsed - goodness knows what that meant). I was told to run the Chkdsk utility.

I will run this, if you approve, but would this be just for the Kobo or for the whole computer?

Thank you for your continuing help.

Last edited by sabadog; 02-01-2011 at 02:18 AM. Reason: inaccurate grammar
Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
baronrus
Addict

Clearly you had a bad file you can run chkdsk on your kobo. I'm not familiar with unlocker but when I have replaced the database I didn't have any trouble deleting files.

I would. Run inkling the kobo. Restart the kobo and the computer. Remount kobo , run chkdsk, delete all the files, then replace them as per the instructions. By taming.

Keep us posted on how it works
Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
sabadog

I'm sorry, I am completely discombobulated - what is the inkling and what do you mean by taming?

Also I remembered this morning that to run chkdsk it is necessary to turn off the computer and then turn it on again before it runs. How would I manage with the Kobo plugged in - I have been very careful only to remove it after getting the Safely Remove Hardware window.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
baronrus
Addict

Quote:
I'm sorry, I am completely discombobulated - what is the inkling and what do you mean by taming?

Also I remembered this morning that to run chkdsk it is necessary to turn off the computer and then turn it on again before it runs. How would I manage with the Kobo plugged in - I have been very careful only to remove it after getting the Safely Remove Hardware window.
Taming is the author of the original post on how to replace the database
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

There should be no need to shut down for chkdsk to run. Normally you would only be doing that for the C drive of your PC in that it always has files that are open.

Chkdsk should only need to be run on the Kobo drive; not on any other drives.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
pholy
Booklegger

I'm still puzzled by this
Quote:
I would. Run inkling the kobo
I'm guessing the full-stop after would is a typo. Is inkling a utility of some sort, or a typo for some utility? Have I missed something useful?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
baronrus
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I'm still puzzled by this

I'm guessing the full-stop after would is a typo. Is inkling a utility of some sort, or a typo for some utility? Have I missed something useful?
Sorry my bad

Run inkling... should have been run chkdsk on the kobo. I was typing on my iphone and heaven only knows what I typed do end up with inkling. Sorry I should proof more carefully.

checkdsk the kobo only then delet the files on the kobo and replace with the files from the post on how to replace the kobo data base files.