Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Request for BIN file that Disables Updating

As dsmid suggests, "Automatic update can be easily disabled but it requires installed usbnetwork. I suppose creating hack that would disable it by installing a special *_install.bin file wouldn't take much time. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
A hack update that just renames the two Amazon keys should prevent it from installing but you'll still get the download and attempted install though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Good idea, I actually had in mind editing /usr/bin/process_update and commenting out line 43
Code:
${_UPDATE_WAIT} &
Intentional updates would be still possible but not the automatic ones.

Due to the fact that Amazon may be auto-updating the Kindle to 3.1 when connected to 3G, I would extremely appreciate this, which would stop the Kindle from updating.

Thanks

Last edited by SunLight; 02-15-2011 at 10:27 AM.
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
What about this one ?
I did test installing/uninstalling it but not the functionality itself because it's quite tricky to reproduce
But it should work or I suck at shell scripting (not impossible). The idea is not mine anyway so I am not the only one believing it works.
Attached Files
File Type: zip disable-autoupdates_0.1.zip (10.0 KB, 1518 views)
File Type: gz disable-autoupdates_0.1_src.tar.gz (6.4 KB, 728 views)
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
SunLight
Connoisseur

Quote:
What about this one ?
I did test installing/uninstalling it but not the functionality itself because it's quite tricky to reproduce
But it should work or I suck at shell scripting (not impossible). The idea is not mine anyway so I am not the only one believing it works.
So, this disables auto updating, but does it disable manual updating either for a hack or official firmware?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
This doesn't apply to dsmid's hack as he does something else but if anybody does try the rename keys idea then you need to actually move the files out of /etc/uks. Renaming won't help if its a 3.0.x Kindle. Its only 3.1 that specifically uses those two files by name.

Sorry for the misinformation. I've been looking at 3.1 too long!
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
So, this disables auto updating, but does it disable manual updating either for a hack or official firmware?
Manual updating is still possible after installing this hack.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
SunLight
Connoisseur

Quote:
Manual updating is still possible after installing this hack.
Fantastic - was afraid of turning on 3G after this firmware was reported of auto-updating on people's Kindles.

One more question, how do you for sure that editing out "${_UPDATE_WAIT} &" removes this auto-updating capability - and this all what this BIN file does correct - removes that line?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
dsmid
Linux devotee

There are actually two calls of ${_UPDATE_WAIT} ( = /usr/sbin/updatewait ) in that script.
The first call is in a branch that is executed when process_update is called with -i option (and the same option is passed to updatewait). -i means 'immediately' in this case and I believe this is how process_update is called from the framework when you select 'Update your Kindle' menu item.
The second call doesn't contain any options and in such case updatewait just sits there and waits for an idle state ( = screensaver). Then it does its dirty work - applies update without user intervention.
And exactly this second call gets commented out (not deleted) after installing this hack. Of course, a backup copy is made beforehand.
Uninstalling disable-updates hack just restores the original file from the backup.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
bob_tm
Enthusiast
bob_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Onyx M92
Quote:
What about this one ?
I'm a total newbie and tried to install this on my K3 WiFi running 3.0.2, but received an "update failed" message upon reboot when executing "update" after having put the corresponding .bin file in the root of the Kindle-drive. I have not "jailbroken" my Kindle yet, I just wanted to reserve the possibility in case 3.1 is not broken. Does your utility require the Kindle to be jailbroken in order to install?

Thanks

Bob_tm

Edit: Installed the jailbreak and then disable_autoupdates. All went well. Thanks!

Last edited by bob_tm; 02-17-2011 at 10:27 AM.
bob_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_tm View Post
Does your utility require the Kindle to be jailbroken in order to install?
Yes. It has to be jailbroken first.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
If I can ask for a summary.

My K3 is at 3.02. My wifi has been off for a few days.

If my k3 is jailbroken and I've got the screensaver hack and I add this hack, I can turn wifi back on and autoupdate will be disabled. Amazon will not be able to SHOVE 3.1 down my K3's throat.

I would then either be able to update to 3.1 manually by downloading the bin file and running it like other Amazon firmware updates if I wanted. (obviously with the consequence of not (at the moment) being able to remove hacks).

Or I could UNinstall this hack (and other hacks if I wanted) and allow nature to take its course with potential auto-update to 3.1.

This hack does not involve any of that usb-network thingie stuff.

Thanks for satisfying my needs (g)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
dsmid
Linux devotee

Your summary is correct.

Another alternative is to install this hack.
It will inhibit both manual and auto updates after reboot. Then it will let you select if you want to be able to install Amazon stuff or hacks - even after update to 3.1.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
If my k3 is jailbroken and I've got the screensaver hack and I add this hack, I can turn wifi back on and autoupdate will be disabled. Amazon will not be able to SHOVE 3.1 down my K3's throat.
Installing dsmid's Updates Provider hack and configuring it for hacks only will disable the ability for the Kindle to use any Amazon updates. This includes manual updates you do yourself via USB and automatic ones which are delivered over Whispernet. The Kindle will keep getting updates such as 3.1 pushed to it though and Amazon may notice something weird happening when they see your Kindle constantly downloading the update.

As pointed out by ths, it is possible to get into a 3.1 Kindle if you've got some of NiJuLe's hacks installed but it will require some more work. Its currently untested and does carry some risks as we've no guarantee that Amazon won't do something strange in an OTA update which will fail if a hack is found. Something to keep an eye on anyway.

If you have a 3.1 Kindle without any hacks then you're currently stuck and will have to wait for future developments.

The current state of the Kindle 3 and the options for hacks is as follows:

The safe option with most flexibility for hacks currently is to avoid the 3.1 update by turning off wireless.

The slightly more risky but should still be safe option since you do need to install a hack is to stay on 3.0.2 or 3.0.3 by using dsmid's hack to disable Amazon updates which allows wireless to be turned on.

The untested option is to install one of NiJuLe's hacks that has this emergency option, update to 3.1 and then add a currently unwritten script to break back into the Kindle.

The best option which doesn't exist at the moment is to find a new jailbreak method and a new way of installing/uninstalling hacks on an untouched 3.1 Kindle.

The "only if you know what you're doing" option is to install the USB network hack and update to 3.1 then jailbreak it via the command line. This option is confirmed to work but not advised unless you really do know precisely what you're doing.

Last edited by Tiersten; 02-18-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #13
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Installing dsmid's Updates Provider hack and configuring it for hacks only will disable the ability for the Kindle to use any Amazon updates.
Not quit true. Yes, after installing (and rebooting) the updates provider is set to 'hack' which means your Kindle will refuse to install any updates from Amazon. But simply by switching the updates provider to 'amazon' (and rebooting), you will be able to install updates from Amazon again.

Quote:
This includes manual updates you do yourself via USB and automatic ones which are delivered over Whispernet. The Kindle will keep getting updates such as 3.1 pushed to it though and Amazon may notice something weird happening when they see your Kindle constantly downloading the update.
I don't think Amazon pays THAT much attention to single Kindle box. I think it will take some time before Amazon tries to push the update again, there are lot of Kindles and it takes some time to get them all updated. And as I stated above, you still CAN install (or let install) firmware 3.1 with Updates Provider hack installed.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-19-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Not quit true. Yes, after installing (and rebooting) the updates provider is set to 'hack' which means your Kindle will refuse to install any updates from Amazon. But simply by switching the updates provider to 'amazon' (and rebooting), you will be able to install updates from Amazon again.
Sorry. I meant that its disabled until you change the flag or take your hack out
Old 02-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
SunLight
Connoisseur

dsmid, should I uninstall this before I preform the update to 3.1 and then afterwards install the new Kindle 3.1 Jailbreak?