Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Netflix?

Has anyone tried streaming movies on a Netflix account while overseas? Dunno whether it's possible or practical.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Has anyone tried streaming movies on a Netflix account while overseas? Dunno whether it's possible or practical.
Yes. Via VPN in Germany, no problem.
Did cancel my account though. Didn't actually use it, have been more interested in making it work.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
VPN can sometimes be pretty sluggish in performance depending on how many people share the same "gateway". I tried hulu with VPN some time ago on my laptop and got it to work (more or less). If you want to give it a try, check out hotspotshield which is free. If this doesn't work for you (performance wise), you may want to give the paid services a try. I don't know about their performance, though.
Another one you can try is using a proxy (allthough I don't know how to set that up on the ipad). But hulu did recognize that I was using one (which is why I tried hotspotshield). But this may still work for Netflix.
And, last but not least, hulu states on it's webpage that you can submit an e-mail where you can tell them that you're an US citizen overseas (or so). May also work with Netflix.

Hope this gets you further :-)
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thanks, mgmueller and Mike. I'll try, since my husband already has an account and I'll be overseas for months.

Do you know how to access your personal movie collection while traveling? I have movies on DVD and wonder how hard it would be to set up access from overseas. I guess I'd start by applying Handbrake to all of them, but dunno what comes next.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Thanks, mgmueller and Mike. I'll try, since my husband already has an account and I'll be overseas for months.

Do you know how to access your personal movie collection while traveling? I have movies on DVD and wonder how hard it would be to set up access from overseas. I guess I'd start by applying Handbrake to all of them, but dunno what comes next.

Best bet would be to use handbrake, compress them down to about 1 GB and store them on a laptop under movies in itunes. Then occasionally trade them out on your ipad.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:

I found some of the streaming apps surprisingly sufficient. Not only via WiFi, but even with 3G. That's no solution while on the road. But for the hotel it works fine...
So, whatever you can play on your PC/Mac, you can stream to your iPad/iPhone. WIth the right (fast enough) architecture, that's even with live conversion on the fly.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use a 500GB USB-powered external hard disk with an ultra-portable laptop for video while I'm "on the road". That can store many hundreds of hours of video at reasonable resolution. I generally rip my videos at 640x480 using the H.264 CODEC, which is a good compromise between quality and size.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote