Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
A comparison of Sony book cover with light/Zipper case/M-Edge

I had a M-Edge case for my 505 that I have been using with my 600. I love the case, but it always has bothered me to have that extra space on the side for a light that I don't have yet. So then I went on a hunt for the perfect book light to use with my case and reader. I have been eyeing the Sony cover with light, but I haven't been able to see one in person....until yesterday!

I went to my local Sony store and they finally had the cover with light, as well as the zipper case by Case Logic. So I decided to get both and see how I liked them. So here is my comparison.

M-Edge:: This case is really well made. I like to slots for cards in the front cover because sometimes I just stick my driver's license, credit card, and some cash and leave my wallet at home. I like that it closes securely so when I put it in my purse, I don't really worry about it. The case folds back on itself, but it is hard to get it completely flat when it is folded back. I like to fold the case back and secure it with the strap. This makes a nice comfortable way to hold the reader.

This case is made for the 505, not the 600. It almost fits perfectly, though. The only problem is the bottom strap can hit the volume up button and cause the battery to drain a bit faster. I was still able to get about 8 days of battery life with about 2 hours/day of use.

I also got it when the cases were $14.99 so it was a steal. Now the prices are at $24.99, so it is still a really good deal. M-Edge has told me that they are working on an e-Luminator2 for this case, but there is no release date yet. I have heard that the Kindle 1 light can work and sticks out between a quarter to a half of an inch at the bottom when the case is closed. I know this would drive me crazy, so that is why I opted not to go that route. I found some lights that I like, but nothing that I was totally satisfied with.

Sony Cover with Light:I was really impressed with this light. It lights up the page pretty evenly. The light folds down completely flat and looks good whether you are using or not. There are two settings for the brightness, but the lowest level has been fine for me. The case is the same size as the M-Edge, but it is probably a bit thinner when the reader is inserted. This is because the cover is pretty flimsy. It is not nearly as well built as the M-Edge cover. The cover does nicely fold back on itself so it is completely flat. And the light assembly actually makes a nice place to hold the reader when reading.

If it was possible to put the light into the M-Edge, this would be perfect. The cover is also pricey at $59.99. Is it worth it? I don't think so. Am I going to keep it? Probably, just because I like the light a lot.

Zipper Case by Case Logic: This case is a great case for what it is, I think. It reminds me of the latitude jacket that M-Edge sells for the Kindle, but not in the cool colors. When you open it up, one side is lined in foam around the four sides and bottom. The reader fits snuggly in there and is held securely by four elastic straps. The cover folds back completely and is easy to hold. This would really be a great way to protect your reader if you wanted to throw it in a backpack or something. It is not completely crush proof, but it is sturdy enough for most purposes. If you were going to use a light, it would have to be a light that could slide on the spine of a book, because I can't really see another place to put the light. This case is larger than the M-Edge and Sony cover with light, but that is because of the extra padding it has.

Bottom line is that I can see myself keeping the two covers from Sony. The book cover with light is pricey, but I do really like it. I am going to try to make a cover for it to make it a little nicer. Maybe a fabric cover that has a snap or something so that it acts like a trifold cover. I think I will also keep the zipper case for traveling. The M-Edge case is really well built, but the extra bulk has always bothered me because it is just wasted space. Hope this helps anybody who has been debating getting one of these cases.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
On a related (sort of) topic, I was in Staples in Toronto today and they had these lights for sale:

http://www.merangue.com/Page.asp?Pag...ContentID=2530

I picked one up thinking it was only $10 and at the cash they said it was on clearance for $5. Light is long which makes for a nice widespread even light. It is, however, not the smallest of booklights. On the plus side you can use it as a bookstand to get the perfect reading angle to avoid reflection from overhead lights even when the light isn't on...

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 03:20 AM   #3
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
I was really impressed with this light. It lights up the page pretty evenly. The light folds down completely flat and looks good whether you are using or not. There are two settings for the brightness, but the lowest level has been fine for me. The case is the same size as the M-Edge, but it is probably a bit thinner when the reader is inserted. This is because the cover is pretty flimsy. It is not nearly as well built as the M-Edge cover. The cover does nicely fold back on itself so it is completely flat. And the light assembly actually makes a nice place to hold the reader when reading.
I've read from several folks on here that they really like the light. Now I'm wondering why my light was so dim. Could it be that Sony sent me old batteries? Hmmm... I may have to repurchase the light and see. I really like the convenience but the light was just so sad and pathetic on the one I had. Hmmm... knowing me, I'll likely give it another go next week and see if I'm crazy.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote