Notices

Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
Screen doesn't start/has white lines

Hello ppl,

It seems that my something has grown horribly wrong with my baby cybook , yesterday night it was working fine , today when I woke up it won't budge ,I have attached how it's been since mrng today .

I thought it was the battery issue since i've got lines and cybook stuck before but this one refuses to budge,I have fully charged the battery , when I connect to pc , it loads up as a 512 mb usb disk , I don't use any sdcard.

I've tried reseting it . I've deleted all the books inside.

All i can remember doing wrong was I deleted the photos from the photos folder 2 days back .

Should i format ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00122.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	14366  
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That is, I'm afraid, a classic picture of a broken screen substrate. There's a very thin layer of glass under the outer plastic screen. It's broken. Have you dropped your Gen3, or put a lot of pressure on the screen perhaps, or twisted it? That's what tends to break the substrate.

I'm afraid it's not a warranty repair. Bookeen will charge you €120 to replace the screen.

Sorry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
If you have used it as intended then it is a warranty repair and Bookeen should fix it. So saying that it is not a warranty repair is misleading.

The Bookeen might say that you have dropped it and refuse to fix it but that is just Bookeen not doing what they should do.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If you have used it as intended then it is a warranty repair and Bookeen should fix it. So saying that it is not a warranty repair is misleading.

The Bookeen might say that you have dropped it and refuse to fix it but that is just Bookeen not doing what they should do.

Bookeen will fix it regardless. Just don't expect them to agree that it's a warranty repair. Sorry, them's the breaks because there's no other source for repair and parts and the device has to be sent *back* before Bookeen will "make its determination as to warrantability". That's how they sucked $157 out of me.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
*nods*

And the screen, sadly, isn't covered by the warranty even if the Cybook hasn't been dropped, etc.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, it isn't "misleading". What would be "misleading" would be telling the original poster that Bookeen will fix it for free when you know as well as I do that they won't! They will charge €120 for a new screen.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
And the screen, sadly, isn't covered by the warranty even if the Cybook hasn't been dropped, etc.
Yes, it is if you live in EU. There are EU regulations that specifies what the seller has to do.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it isn't "misleading". What would be "misleading" would be telling the original poster that Bookeen will fix it for free when you know as well as I do that they won't! They will charge €120 for a new screen.
It is misleading because it does not show that Bookeen is not respecting the EU regulation. But if they can disrespect the GPL the of course can disrespect other rules.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Bookeen know a lot more about the Gen3 than either you or I do, Tommy. If they say that this breakage cannot happen in "normal" use, then we have no data to prove them wrong (unless you know something that I don't). If you look at the other forums, you'll see that screen breakages on the Sony and the Kindle appear to happen just as often - there doesn't appear to be anything "special" about the Gen3 in this regard.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bookeen know a lot more about the Gen3 than either you or I do, Tommy. If they say that this breakage cannot happen in "normal" use, then we have no data to prove them wrong (unless you know something that I don't). If you look at the other forums, you'll see that screen breakages on the Sony and the Kindle appear to happen just as often - there doesn't appear to be anything "special" about the Gen3 in this regard.
Companies need to earn money. I have never yet talked with a company that gives correct information about what they have to do with respect to service. usually they start to lie to you when they want you to by insurance.

Notice that I said that if you have used the Cybook normally and it breaks they have to fix it. I did not say anything else.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Alan
Connoisseur
Alan began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
It is misleading because it does not show that Bookeen is not respecting the EU regulation.
When it comes to EU regulations, then the seller has to prove, that his sold item was not defective from the beginning if something breaks during the first six months after the customer bought it. From the seventh month to the 24th it up to the buyer to prove something was defective from the beginning. I'm no expert, but it is not so unlikely that some part(s) of the screen is (are) not as well manufactured and/or designed as it (they) should be.

To prove something was not $WHATEVER, is virtually impossible. Sure, this is only important if somebody would drag Bookeen before the courts. I doubt anybody will do this over €120.

Alan
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:52 AM   #12
pakiyabhai
Zealot

well guys I appreciate all the replies, I am emailing bookeen right now with the situation at hand with the same photo ,let's see what they say , I will tell them this situation and see what they say
Old 07-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When it comes to EU regulations, then the seller has to prove, that his sold item was not defective from the beginning if something breaks during the first six months after the customer bought it. From the seventh month to the 24th it up to the buyer to prove something was defective from the beginning. I'm no expert, but it is not so unlikely that some part(s) of the screen is (are) not as well manufactured and/or designed as it (they) should be.
Yes, the evidence rules are so. But demanding evidence from customers and hope they do not go to court is not respecting the rules. The 6 months I think was introduced because sellers tried to use customers lack of knowledge. I have noticed sellers trying to do this.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
pakiyabhai
Zealot

no replies from them, harry support@bookeen.com right ? is there any other email for this ?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakiyabhai View Post
no replies from them, harry support@bookeen.com right ? is there any other email for this ?
They can take up to five days (or more in some cases) to respond. The best approach is to email them with priority set to High at least twice per day for three days or so. Make sure you mention in the subject line the words "RMA" and "repair request"

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote