Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle Fire HDX - First Impressions

I love it! The tablet! The case I hate and it's going back. I do not like the change to personal documents. No covers whatsoever now just like on K4PC.

The screen is amazing! I will have no trouble reading on it. the font is so crisp and clear and you see no pixel or jagged lines. I have to put Mantano on here. Gone is the favorites from the HD and and you can't change the doc view to show only covers it seems it's only list view. A huge Con in my book.

It updates the firmware automatically when you get it.

Huge Con! Table of Contents does not work with Personal Documents!

Last edited by Blossom; 10-18-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
What charge did you get with the unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I love it! The tablet! The case I hate and it's going back. I do not like the change to personal documents. No covers whatsoever now just like on K4PC.

The screen is amazing! I will have no trouble reading on it. the font is so crisp and clear and you see no pixel or jagged lines. I have to put Mantano on here. Gone is the favorites from the HD and and you can't change the doc view to show only covers it seems it's only list view. A huge Con in my book.

What charge did your unit have? My software would not update until I charged for 15 minutes. I'm up to 94% now after 80 minutes.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
What charge did your unit have? My software would not update until I charged for 15 minutes. I'm up to 90% now.
It showed up halfway charged. I would say 60%. It updated immediately.

The stand on my case is a joke. Doesn't even work right. So I guess it's defective. It's going back. I can't take the pain from it. Wow you would think Amazon would have research the magnets and people before going this route. Sirmaru becareful you being so old and all that case could cause flare ups.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-18-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where is the USB cable?

Quote:
It showed up halfway charged. I would say 60%. It updated immediately.
I couldn't find a USB cable. Where is it located? I had to use an old one.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Cool -- I'm glad you like it. I figured that reading would be super improved by the high resolution. I'm sorry that they messed up a few other things but since they are all fixable by software, maybe they can be convinced to improve the overall reading interface.

Keep us up to date on your impressions.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard

I found the wall charger and USB cable in that sealed black box inside the main box. It was tough to open it.

I'm up to 97% charge now. I don't like the box the unit came in as much as the PW 2013 box. This one is much harder to open.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Glad you like it. It is frustrating when Amazon continuously seems to change things that we liked and worked correctly. They don't seem to want to change the things we ask them to, but effing up something that was good is apparently okay in their minds.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Oh I love the music lyrics! It feels like Karole! It highlights the lyrics as they are sung. Jamming to Bon Jovi. I think the speakers sound tinny compare to my KFv1. It could be the case.
Will see if I can find the EQ.

No EQ or I am just not seeing it.

Sounds better without case. So the case it causing the tinny sound.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-18-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Okay I hit audiobooks are nothing is happening! What am I doing wrong?!? I may need to try Mayday out. I don't wanna I rather not. I am too shy!

Okay it downloaded for immersion reading but when I click play nothing is happening! Still audiobooks tab isn't working. Restarting...

Restarting fixed it! *phew*

Still not showing my Audible library or playing the Audibles....

Can someone when they get theirs tell me if they have the same problem. I will wait till I know if it's just not me before calling for help.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-18-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I got it fixed. *phew*

It took a factory reset to do it though but It's working!

Cover is growing on me....A very expensive stand....but it's so easy to remove the tablet from the cover.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Okay after nearly passing out from the Tantor Media scare. I'm playing with it again.

I love that it now shows the battery percentage on the top bar!

I love Immersion reading!

It's got to go on the charger now for awhile at least down to 25%
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Okay Second Impressions. I love the way to design the buttons now! Very easy to push! I love the design of the bezel. It's wider than my KFv1. Light sensor is a bit buggy but works okay so far.

I can't get it to recognize sideloaded books yet. I got it working! No restart needed anymore! Yay! No Covers for Sideloaded books on Carousel but show in books tab I wish it came with a manual! Personal documents do not have covers and there is no cover view on the doc tab only list view. Table of contents do not work on personal documents at all.

Music X-ray is awesome! It works on quite a few songs. It reminds me of Karaoke.

Audiobooks work fine. Nothing I notice new on there. Immersion reading is really cool. I had to do a Factory reset to get it to work though. I'm thinking something went screwy with the sync.

Sync button is now a few extra steps. This is a huge con for me.
Favorites has been remove. I know some love that feature on the HD.

The Bigs cons so far are how Personal Documents are handled (No covers or TOC), No sideload books working and the sync button extra steps.

The cover has grown on me but now yet sure if I am going to return it or not. On and this thing is a huge fingerprint magnet. It's not a shiny as the others so you can really see the fingerprints on it.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-18-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Blossom, did you end up ordering the belkin chambray cover? It's the one I was looking at but I am unsure. I want a cover, but I can't find one I like...
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard

There are no Favorites anymore for eBooks. Too bad. Plus there are no Collections. Another disappointment.

One still has a Carousel and one's apps at the Home screen.

However, this battery can last longer apparently. GSam shows my Kindle Fire HD was active 3 hours and 54 minutes and the screen was used 2 hours and 36 minutes and used 46%. The Kindle Fire HDX was active 2 hours and 11 minutes and the screen was active 2 hours and 7 minutes and only used 22%.

It will take a couple of weeks to really see how it turns out.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Blossom, did you end up ordering the belkin chambray cover? It's the one I was looking at but I am unsure. I want a cover, but I can't find one I like...
No I order the official case in Purple but I also order this case for $3 looks like it practically free now.