Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Ebook subscription service

A new ebook subscription service is to be launched in Denmark later this year according to this story in The Copenhagen Post.

But will it work?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I've been wanting this for years. It makes perfect sense to me, provided that the catalogue is comprehensive. I use subscription music and video services already; books are no different.

We're simply talking about paying for library use.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The problem with a service such as this is that while many people listen to thousands of songs every year, and watch hours of TV every day (hence find a music/vieo subscription service of genuine use) the number of people who read more than a handful of books in a year is very small. I suspect that a book subscription service will not prove to be commercially viable. I may be wrong. I hope I am wrong. Time will tell.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The problem with a service such as this is that while many people listen to thousands of songs every year, and watch hours of TV every day (hence find a music/vieo subscription service of genuine use) the number of people who read more than a handful of books in a year is very small. I suspect that a book subscription service will not prove to be commercially viable. I may be wrong. I hope I am wrong. Time will tell.
I think the successful services will come from those who already have the catalogue and the delivery mechanism and who can combine it with some other value proposition. Amazon already do this with Kindle books borrowing for Prime owners, and I could see Google and Apple doing something similar.

Graham
Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Amazon already do this with Kindle books borrowing for Prime owners, and I could see Google and Apple doing something similar.

Graham
Amazon do indeed have the Kindle lending library, but it's primarily only available for independent authors, and hence of little interest to me. The big publishers are - entirely understandably - reluctant to sign up for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon do indeed have the Kindle lending library, but it's primarily only available for independent authors, and hence of little interest to me. The big publishers are - entirely understandably - reluctant to sign up for it.
Ah; not being a Kindle owner, I hadn't realised that.

Graham
Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There have been successful pBook subscription deals for years. The question is if it will transfer OK to eBooks. Pricing will be the key.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
100 Krone is about $17.41 a month. Some may find that reasonable.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Scale may be an issue - both in favour and against the liklihood of this working. There are about 5.5 million people who speak and read Danish in the world - and most of them are in Denmark. Print books in Danish are therefore never going to have a huge circulation. For publishers anything that saves cost is going to be a good thing - warehousing and distribution of physical goods in DK is expensive because of high labour costs, high energy costs and high taxes. Given these high costs and low circulation it maybe that ebook subscriptions make more sense than they would in different markets.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote