Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 11-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
try_again
try_again began at the beginning.

Device: V3
How would you improve the V3?

I've had my V3 for a while now and it's proven itself a great tool for reading, the proof is in the fact that I take it everywhere and spend large amounts of time enjoying reading on it. Nothing is perfect of course and so what ideas do people have for making it even better? Software is under control of course, so leaving hardware improvements to another discussion, what software changes would people like?

I'd like to see a few of the following
1) Options to choose fonts for plain text files (most formats will define the font and I know I could easily change the font on my computer and save as a DOC/PDF/etc. but it shouldn't be hard to add this ability

2) Saving bookmarks to memory when you set them, not just when you exit from reading view (seems to do this anyway, I've lost some bookmarks)

3) A clock in the status bar at the bottom of the screen (maybe not a good idea as the updating of the display is difficult?)

Hmm, quite hard to think of anything specific. There are little bugs that should be fixed too of course like not removing files from the recent viewed list after they are deleted (just get a note saying "file does not exist").
try_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I would say:

1. Switch the next/previous page buttons when in landscape mode!!!

2. Fonts yes. Let us have a system font folder where we can put our own fonts that we can use throughout the system.

3. PDF margin restriction. A lot of PDF files have a huge horizontal margin that restricts the current zoom mode. Either have the option to set the margin that is ignored by the zoom mode, or have the option for a custom zoom ratio. We might be able to use the 9 and 0 keys to move the PDF to the left or right to get it properly centered.

4. Mobipocket support. The majority of downloadable content and in the ebook shops comes in mobipocket format. I believe support is in the works, but better sooner then late.

5. Small GUI enhancement in FB2 reader. When going to settings like page orientation or font size, it would be nice to have the current setting high-lighted.

6. Better HTML/CHM handling. More complex HTML files are messed up with the layout.

7. Big DOC file support. Have a 12Mb word file that gets rejected with a file size error. The same document converted to RTF with the same file size opens fine, just layout messy.

About the suggested clock in the task bar: Don't think it's a good idea, as mentioned it requires a screen refresh of some sort and at least every redraw/processor activity leads to battery drain. My primary reason for getting a dedicated ebook is battery life, beside the fact it's cool
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
mvoosten
Zealot

To add to the list:
- Ability to choose font size for DOC and RTF files and reflow. DOC files are not PDF's and are not fixed like that.
- Better support in DOC files for drawings (sometimes they just don't show up when you have a flow chart for example)

- Add a T9 type interface (like we all know from SMS tekst message input) so we can use the 0-9 hardware buttons to search for text or files.

Last edited by mvoosten; 11-29-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
sankar10
sankar10 began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3
HANLIN V3

I am not sure whether this is the proper thread to discuss problems with V3. But, my doc files when opened show file length error i used a 10 mb file.FB2 seems to be the best bet, so far, but pdf docs when converted, with BD,do not retain their tables and that is painful .RTF files do not open at all. but most text only files in whichever format ,when converted to FB2 with BD ,make a pleasant reading. The wish list, might take a longtime being fulfilled , unless more people join in this effort. but all in all this is an affordable good device as far as hardware is concerned(barring placement of buttons), but leaves a lot to be desired on the software side, IMHO.
sankar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
jeczmien
Enthusiast
jeczmien began at the beginning.

Device: none/Hanlin V3/Nokia E50
Clock

About clock:
Apart screen refresh there is another problem: hardware. I think Hanlin doesn't have clock inside.
jeczmien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 01:59 AM   #6
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
yeah, I think the t9 interface would be great, I'd love to be able to search my books for quotes, and that seems like it should be one of the big advantages of ebooks in general. I haven't bought an ebook reader yet, but I think I'm going to get a hanlin next weekend. I'd also like to see some way to navigate to a word in a book, so it can be looked up in a dictionary... apparently there's currently no way to do this in the hanlin right?
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:15 AM   #7
mvoosten
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbv View Post
yeah, I think the t9 interface would be great, I'd love to be able to search my books for quotes, and that seems like it should be one of the big advantages of ebooks in general. I haven't bought an ebook reader yet, but I think I'm going to get a hanlin next weekend. I'd also like to see some way to navigate to a word in a book, so it can be looked up in a dictionary... apparently there's currently no way to do this in the hanlin right?
Correct, right now you can only:
- Use the index to navigate to a specific section of a book
- Use bookmarks
- Use the go to page xxx option
Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 AM   #8
mvoosten
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankar10 View Post
I am not sure whether this is the proper thread to discuss problems with V3. But, my doc files when opened show file length error i used a 10 mb file.FB2 seems to be the best bet, so far, but pdf docs when converted, with BD,do not retain their tables and that is painful .RTF files do not open at all. but most text only files in whichever format ,when converted to FB2 with BD ,make a pleasant reading. The wish list, might take a longtime being fulfilled , unless more people join in this effort. but all in all this is an affordable good device as far as hardware is concerned(barring placement of buttons), but leaves a lot to be desired on the software side, IMHO.

Hi,

Yeah.. this forum is not properly organized so far so we can have a dedicated bugs section on the Hanlin reader forum.. Anyway, what I did so far is on the firmware release thread mention the open bugs present in there.
For the 11-12-2007 firmware: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16062

To get the bug to the attention of the Jinke Hanlin developers I would suggest logging the issue at the developer forum:
http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...elop/index.asp

So far I can say that the issues I logged there are being picked up by Jinke quite fast.

For the issues you mention:
Yes, I get the file length error as well for 10Mb+ doc files.
I am able to open RTF files though with the 11-12-2007 firmware. However, the layout is not quite right to me.
I do agree that the reading experience is superiour with the FB2 format for me as well. However I am not thrilled with the results that BD is giving me. Instead I'm using the DOC2FB2 converter and that gives me excellent results so far. Might give that a try: http://home.arcor.de/fb.tools/
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
dameuna
dameuna began at the beginning.

Add support for a USB keyboard. Include a simple utility for entering text into a .txt file. This would let people carry one of those mini-keyboards around with their ebook for entering notes. This enhancement should require only software changes.
dameuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dameuna View Post
Add support for a USB keyboard. Include a simple utility for entering text into a .txt file. This would let people carry one of those mini-keyboards around with their ebook for entering notes. This enhancement should require only software changes.
the USB is a slave device on this machine. A slave device cannot talk to another slave device (keyboard). You need a master device which means hardware changes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dameuna View Post
Really? Are you certain that the v3 has USB host hardware? I was under the impression that it could only act as a USB client, not as a host.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
jeczmien
Enthusiast

sort order

Simple improve: change the default sort order. Now it is by modification time - very frustrating when you have a lot of books in directory.

I think they should add user settings (the best way) or change it to more natural by title sort order.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #13
mvoosten
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeczmien View Post
Simple improve: change the default sort order. Now it is by modification time - very frustrating when you have a lot of books in directory.

I think they should add user settings (the best way) or change it to more natural by title sort order.
Hi Jeszmien,

Not sure what you mean by the sort order.. we already do have the option to sort by title, date or extention don't we?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
jeczmien
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
Hi Jeszmien,

Not sure what you mean by the sort order.. we already do have the option to sort by title, date or extention don't we?
Yes, we do
But... default order is by modification date, so every time you change directory you need to press OK, and select another sort order.
Everyone (I think) expects that natural order by filename (title of book) is default, but not in Hanlin - here you have sort by modification time.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:23 AM   #15
mvoosten
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeczmien View Post
Yes, we do
But... default order is by modification date, so every time you change directory you need to press OK, and select another sort order.
Everyone (I think) expects that natural order by filename (title of book) is default, but not in Hanlin - here you have sort by modification time.
Ok, I understand.. Sounds like good request.