Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #751
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Hello, I have been listening more and more to audiobooks and thought I would post what I had just finished. I didn't expect to like this one as much as I did. It was recommended to me otherwise I don't think I would have given it a glance. Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger. Light, amusing, fun. It is a comedy of manners in a steampunk universe with a most unusual finishing school for young ladies. I highly recommend it. Looking forward to the next in the series. The reader did a great job too.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #752
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Gone Girl - I had resisted reading this book, despite all the news and reviews about it because I tend to read fantasy and other novels that take me away from the real world. This book sounded like it would be too "real" for me.

Well, my book club decided to read this one for February, so I used an Audible credit to purchase the audio version. I'm so glad I did. This book is not fantasy or horror (I supposed that could be argued. Heh.) or even historical fiction but it is meta-fictony (probably not a word), dark, psychological, and twisted and keeps you guessing throughout the entire book. Yes, I was listening to this on Valentine's day.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #753
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, The Curse of the Pharaohs, by Elizabeth Peters, narrated by Barbara Rosenblat. This is the second book in the Amelia Peabody series. An excellent series and an excellent reader.

Warning: There are two different readers for all the Amelia Peabody books, Ms. Rosenblat, and Susan O'Malley. I'm sure Ms. O'Malley is a good reader for some books, but the idea of an American accent for Amelia Peabody, a Victorian-era English woman, is just too ludicrous and painful. Make sure you choose the Rosenblat versions.
Got started on The Curse of the Pharaohs, but then got sidetracked. Instead, I'm reading the latest Mickey Haller book by Michael Connelly The Gods of Guilt. Read by Peter Giles, whose voice is absolutely perfect for this series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #754
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Gone Girl - I had resisted reading this book, despite all the news and reviews about it because I tend to read fantasy and other novels that take me away from the real world. This book sounded like it would be too "real" for me.

Well, my book club decided to read this one for February, so I used an Audible credit to purchase the audio version. I'm so glad I did. This book is not fantasy or horror (I supposed that could be argued. Heh.) or even historical fiction but it is meta-fictony (probably not a word), dark, psychological, and twisted and keeps you guessing throughout the entire book. Yes, I was listening to this on Valentine's day.
I listened to it in audio form too, and thought it excellent.

Still listening to the second Repairman Jack book, Legacies, by Paul F. Wilson. Good so far.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #755
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I enjoyed these:

The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton, MacLeod Andrews (Narrator) - 5 stars

Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly - 4 stars, good twist

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand, Edward Herrmann (Narrator) - 3.5 stars for me, but I didn't like all the brutal details and stats about war. If you're into that kind of thing, you may like it better. Pretty incredible story, but it got a bit tedious at times.

(Almost finished with) Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, Will Patton (Narrator) - this probably would have scared the bejesus out of me if I'd read it as a teen in the 80s, since it's set in my home state of Florida. Shows its age a little bit, but doesn't detract from the story too much.

Bailed on:

The Storyteller by Jodi Piccoult - just couldn't get into it, didn't care for the characters.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #756
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I'm not quick at getting through audiobooks, so it might take a while to finish, but this week I started Unnatural Acts, by Kevin J. Anderson (second in the Dan Shamble, zombie PI series, narrated by Phil Gigante). The first had a few laugh out loud bits and was a decent read. The second, so far, seems a bit more scattered plot-wise, but it's enjoyable enough some seven chapters in.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #757
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
I enjoyed these:

Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly - 4 stars, good twist
I enjoyed this one as well, thought the plot was engrossing and the narrator was really good.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #758
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just finished my car book (Gentle Giants of Ganymede by James Hogan) and my work book (King David's Spaceship by Jerry Pournelle). Both favorite books in paperback form and both good audiobooks. My problem is that I keep adding books faster than I can listen to them!
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #759
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Patricia Highsmith's the Price of Salt.

It's really good.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #760
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
Patricia Highsmith's the Price of Salt.

It's really good.
I hadn't seen that one! There's a very good BBC Radio Play of Strangers on a Train if you are interested.

Price of Salt was my first Highsmith book. Where did you pick it up?
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:50 PM   #761
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm listening to "March Upcountry" (David Weber and John Ringo) for probably the fourth time. Started it while I was stuck in traffic last weekend and I'm hooked into it again, so that'll probably mean I'll work my way through the series - again. LOL.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #762
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I'm listening to "March Upcountry" (David Weber and John Ringo) for probably the fourth time. Started it while I was stuck in traffic last weekend and I'm hooked into it again, so that'll probably mean I'll work my way through the series - again. LOL.
Believe me, I understand. BTDT! The worst part is, they seem to be stuck on what to do with book #5. Some sort of conflict of a fairly basic nature and it doesn't seem to be getting resolved. there were several chapters posted up on thefifthimperium.com But then it just stopped.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:13 AM   #763
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
It's been a while since I read "We Few" so my memory of what happened in it is a bit hazy, and I didn't read the chapters that were on the fifthimperium, but I would think that it's got to involve the Saints.

Though, I've never really seen the Saints as a major threat. I sort of expect them to run out of fuel during an attack because they're trying to conserve energy too much.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #764
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
The Art of Fielding

It took me a couple of chapters to get into it but I'm over 1/3 of the way through now and I'm very invested. I do find the premise of a small lower division college baseball player being a potential 1st round pick improbable but I like all the major characters.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #765
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
It's been a while since I read "We Few" so my memory of what happened in it is a bit hazy, and I didn't read the chapters that were on the fifthimperium, but I would think that it's got to involve the Saints.

Though, I've never really seen the Saints as a major threat. I sort of expect them to run out of fuel during an attack because they're trying to conserve energy too much.
Apparently it has to do with the execution of the conspirators. The good news is that apparently the authors now realize there was a missed email and they're back to talking, so we should get something eventually.

Meanwhile, back on topic -- I'm still reading Michael Connelly's The Gods of Guilt, read by Peter Giles. This is a good book, and I am enjoying it. But it's not compelling me as much as I'd expected. Peter Giles is an excellent reader, and I've always liked Mickey Haller as a character, but I'm getting a bit bored with him. Plus I'm not happy with killing off the secondary characters that I've liked.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations