Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #12196
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Currently reading Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #12197
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This book is a standalone sequel to the "Mistborn" trilogy, and is set some 300 years after the events that ended that trilogy. Technological progress has been rapid, and the world now has steam trains, guns, and primitive motor vehicles.

Lord Waxillium Ladrian returns to the city of Elendel as the heir of his House, following the death of his uncle, having spent 20 years enforcing the law out in the "Roughs" - the uncivilized land outside the city. He tries to act as a city nobleman is expected to act, and to settle down and find a wife, but is soon drawn into a web of danger and adventure.

This is a superb book, completely different in feel to the "Mistborn" trilogy. I didn't come to it with very high hopes, having heard some rather negative comments about it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. A fun read. Don't read it unless you've read the Mistborn trilogy first, though, or it's not going to make much sense.
Thanks for the review. I have it on my TBR, but previous reviews had me pushing it down the list.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #12198
lemurfist
lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.lemurfist has never been to obedience school.

Device: nook
I just finished
Five Children and It by E. Nesbitt
A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett
How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell
A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick
with rounds of Algernon Blackwood and H. P. Lovecraft short stories/novellas between.
lemurfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #12199
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Started Still Life. The debut mystery novel by Canadian Louise Penny. Initial impressions not promising. It may be too "cozy" for me. So far there are too many characters for me to keep track. Will try a few more pages.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #12200
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
So I'm just about finished "Crooked House" and I have to say it's pretty good. The reason I bought it was because I read on Wikipedia that it was one of the novels that she liked the most (That she wrote) the other being Ordeal by Innocence which I'll probably read next.

Spoiler:
I don't think the arrest that was made is right of Laurence and Brenda was correct, I think it could possibly be Sophia But I'm not sure

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-30-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Grammar :rolleyes:
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #12201
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Spoiler for Crooked House
Spoiler:
I did suspect it was Josophine earlier in the book because she seemed so happy that a murder had been committed (And she was bit morbid. Pondering with why the dogs didn't eat Jezebels palms? ) but dismissed that thought after the doorstop fell on her head.

The book was very well executed and was quite enjoyable I'd give it 8/10 *.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-30-2012 at 09:23 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #12202
bert501
Connoisseur
bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Just Finished:

- 11/22/63 by Stephen King - thoroughly enjoyed this one, especially the last hundred pages or so. I couldn't put it down until it was finished, and it ended way different from how I expected.
me, too! I was blown away at how it ended-laughed, cried etc. All the way through there were so many examples of the most brilliantly crafted bits of narrative-I bookmarked & highlighted all over this thing!

Must add, though (don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't read it) but...there was a place near the end that I thought, "well, crap, here is Stephen King starting to go off on one of his weird tangents that is going to ruin the ending of this book." Then, BAM, he wrapped that up, got back to business and finished telling the story he started.

I think this is probably my favorite Stephen King book-it was so good I even read the Afterword just because I couldn't stand to see it end
bert501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #12203
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Oh, I forgot to say, I think I'm going to finally start reading the new Sherlock Holmes novel The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. I'm kinda waiting for a bunch of library books to come in but I've been #1 on like three different books' lists for a couple weeks now and I'm not sure when they're going to finally come in. Not sure if I want to start a new book yet.
Grrrr I knew it! I started reading The House of Silk today and two library books just popped into my inbox. Well looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

Last edited by tecweston; 01-30-2012 at 11:51 PM.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #12204
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
jack higgins - rough justice

an excellent sean dillon advevnture too
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #12205
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Just a note on Percepliquis:

I finished the book a few days ago, and I just realized that I'm really sad that the series is over. I really, really enjoyed it, and I'm sort of at a loss for what to read next. I'd like to take this time to warmly recommend the series (The Riyria Revelations).

I do have another book on the go, it's alright (a fun read) but I really want something that I will enjoy as much as the Riyria Revelations. I don't know if I will find that anytime soon. I hope to see something new from Michael Sullivan soon!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #12206
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I'm on book three in The Sword of Shannara trilogy.

The first book was a complete rip-off from LOTR, book 2 didn't do much better, more or less the same story plot but new lead characters. Book 3 is somewhat better but I still feel it's the same plot and little has changed since book 1. So all in all this trilogy won't end up on the favorites list.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #12207
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Finished reading Year 2, now on to Year 3, Prisoner of Azkaban. So far I'm enjoying this re-reading a lot.
I completed my reading of Year 3 and have begun re-reading Year 4, Goblet of Fire. This is the one where they start getting to be a lot longer books.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-31-2012 at 11:05 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #12208
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
jack higgins - a darker place

a good story but sean dillon takes a little in book
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #12209
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
I'm on book three in The Sword of Shannara trilogy.

The first book was a complete rip-off from LOTR, book 2 didn't do much better, more or less the same story plot but new lead characters. Book 3 is somewhat better but I still feel it's the same plot and little has changed since book 1. So all in all this trilogy won't end up on the favorites list.
Yep, the plot is a little tired. Heritage is better, but my favourite Brooks was The Word and the Void trilogy, followed by perhaps the High Druid of Shannara trilogy.

Started Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy. Thanks to TGS for a recommendation a while ago.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #12210
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished Elizabeth Moon's Oath of Fealty, the first in a trilogy set in the world of Paksenarrion after Paks becomes a Palladin. This is a re-read, to get ready for the final book in the trilogy, due out near the end of February.

Despite Ms. Moon's background in the US Marines, and her ability to write action scenes well, this book is less about action than about characters and development. As, frankly, are most of her books -- it's what I like about her as an author.

As for the re-read? I enjoyed it, and will look to read the second in the trilogy in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, a Georgette Heyer and then maybe a Dumas?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote