Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
shiffy
shiffy doesn't littershiffy doesn't litter

Device: DR800SG
Put my vote down for a definite yes -- I'd love to be able to load drm'd books that I already have into the Kobo app. I think it would also be very beneficial to Kobo as I'd be much more likely to buy from Kobo if I used it for the materials I already had too (I'd be happy keeping everything in one place organized, rather than some in several different readers).

On a separate Kobo topic -- any estimate when newspapers will be added and will the NY Times be available?

Thanks.
shiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #17
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiffy View Post
Put my vote down for a definite yes -- I'd love to be able to load drm'd books that I already have into the Kobo app. I think it would also be very beneficial to Kobo as I'd be much more likely to buy from Kobo if I used it for the materials I already had too (I'd be happy keeping everything in one place organized, rather than some in several different readers).

On a separate Kobo topic -- any estimate when newspapers will be added and will the NY Times be available?

Thanks.
Thanks for the note shiffy.

We haven't announced when NY Times will be available but it will be in the next few months. Once I have a better date, we'll be sure to scream it loudly
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm hoping you'll also add in embedded font support.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #19
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
We're is considering adding support for loading DRM'd ePubs to our iPad app. Not 100% decided yet and we're still working out the details. Once I know more, I'll sure we'll let everyone know.

We are trying to gauge interest in this feature, so please leave a message here or PM me if you think that would be an important feature for you.
Would be very interested in that as a feature of kobo. The other enhancement I would love is the ability to load books into the kobo app in a similar drag and drop as the good reader program uses.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #20
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Sianon -- Which flavor of DRM are you thinking of being able to support? Would it be the ereader variety where you unlock with your credit care number? Would you be able to support Kindle DRM'd books if you knew your Kindle's PID? Any chance of being able to rwad iBook-bought books with Fairplay DRM?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #21
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Neither Apple nor Amazon license out their DRM technology, I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. Adobe does license out their Adept DRM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #22
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Neither Apple nor Amazon license out their DRM technology, I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. Adobe does license out their Adept DRM.
We are just talking Adobe as an option - iBooks and Kindle aren't interested in 'playing nice with others'. Not Kobo or anyone.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
We are just talking Adobe as an option - iBooks and Kindle aren't interested in 'playing nice with others'. Not Kobo or anyone.
What I want for the iPad is a Kobo app that uses ADE and gives us full embedded font support as well as Adept support for purchased and library ePub as well as being able toload our own DRM free ePub. And as long as you are at it, hyphenation support would be very nice. You can just you the Tex method.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #24
jeffnesh
jeffnesh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
JCKobo: Absolutely! Both my wife and I would use Kobo *exclusively* on our ipads (I currently do on my iPhone) if we could authenticate overdrive (Adobe DRM) library books!

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffnesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #25
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I would be very interested in kobo supporting adobe drm. I would even pay money for such a reader. Then, if I were using the kobo reader I'd be much more likely to buy books from kobo.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #26
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
You'll have to strip off the DRM to read Sony books on the iPad. There is no Sony reader app like there is for the Kindle and soon Barnes and Noble.
Given that sony epubs are simply adobe drm epubs just like a great many other ebookstores, it is hardly a shock that they haven't come out an app, blame the childish antics of apple and adobe for the lack of support for one of the most widely used drm options.

Last edited by Crowl; 05-08-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #27
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Given that sony epubs are simply adobe drm epubs just like a great many other ebookstores, it is hardly a shock that they haven't come out an app, blame the childish antics of apple and adobe for the lack of support for one of the most widely used drm options.
As discussed in other threads, Apple already has a perfectly usable, developed in-house, secure DRM scheme they wouldn't have to pay licensing fees for. Why should they want to use ADEPT?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #28
tmurray
tmurray began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 700BC
I would love to see KOBO support importing drm epub books.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #29
susanjh
susanjh began at the beginning.

Device: ipad wi-fi and sony reader
I am very interested
susanjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #30
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
The new Kobo app doesn't support DRM'ed ePubs, although it does allow sideloading non DRM'ed ePubs. And since there's no dictionary/note support, it's no competition to iBooks.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, epub, ipad, kobo, sony