Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:31 AM   #91
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Don't worry, the Sony is actually the superior device. If I get a Kindle then I would only get a DX.
true, i do like sony's style more. and the fact that it is more open to other formats.

however, my screen has problems with fading under the sun and most likely have to send it back...
Old 10-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #92
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
And if you look at all the rest of the countries they all have one common point- being a muslim majority country.
No they a number of things in common, Islam being only one of them.
They have certain differences in their legal process regarding outside businesses.

You personally could argue that those legal barriers, (erected by those countries and not Amazon btw) are a result of Islam, but that was not the thrust of the thread title. the title claimed a personal bias against Islam was at work, rather than Protectionist government regulations (The actual cause here) to be the case.

It was an unreasoned attack, and your transparent claim that Islam was the ONE common point (An outright lie) does not mitigate that even a tiny bit.

Skip the claims of jingoism. Until you personally stop making crap like that up, you personally have no place criticizing anyone else.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:22 AM   #93
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
They have certain differences in their legal process regarding outside businesses.

You personally could argue that those legal barriers, (erected by those countries and not Amazon btw) are a result of Islam, but that was not the thrust of the thread title. the title claimed a personal bias against Islam was at work, rather than Protectionist government regulations (The actual cause here) to be the case.

It was an unreasoned attack, and your transparent claim that Islam was the ONE common point (An outright lie) does not mitigate that even a tiny bit.

Skip the claims of jingoism. Until you personally stop making crap like that up, you personally have no place criticizing anyone else.
yes they have certain differences in legal process just as in all the other 100 or more countries also do, yet somehow amazon has been able to adjust.

I am not making claims of jingoism. I am just speculating what could be a reason.
nor am I attacking or criticizing anyone the way you are going about it.
its surprising how one can not even speculate when it comes to this issue. at no point did I claim amazon is wrong in any way either.
please read my post and tell me where I have made such jingoist claims. have i speculated, yes. have I accused amazon of any wrong doing? no!
did I insinuate that the world is out to get the muslims or Americans are bent against Islam? no!
did I personally attack anyone?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #94
folecr
folecr began at the beginning.

Interesting. Does Amazon sell all of their products *except* the Kindle in the countries the OP has listed?

(ps - I'm too lazy to look it up. I'm wondering if anyone knows offhand...)
Old 10-09-2009, 05:04 AM   #95
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Sure, you can have most products shipped anywhere. Unless they are restricted by the manufacturer.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #96
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Alex, take a look at the tags "censorship, international, islam, kindle, muslim". They imply a certain opinion by Amazon which aren't based on any real facts.
I mentioned in my post that my point was not whether the original poster's concern was justified, but that there seemed to me to be a disproportionate amount of venom in the responses to his or her trying to check out those concerns.

For what it is worth I think the explanations given by other posters resolve the issue of censorship. But they don't resolve the issue of why the tone of many of the responses did not match the dispassionate original post. And I gave one of several possible explanations.

Regards, Alex
Old 10-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #97
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
He is what he is and he knows it very well.
And your point is?

Regards, Alex
Old 10-09-2009, 05:31 AM   #98
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Lucky for us capitalists don't care about religion or politics as long as there is a profit in it. There is probably additionally complex licensing in those areas.

They sell it in Australia and they are very multi-cultural, plenty of muslims/hindus/christians there.
If by 'it' you mean the Kindle I'm afraid you're mistaken. They not only won't sell Kindles to Australian residents they won't sell ebooks to Australian residents - as I know from personal experience.

Regards, Alex
Old 10-09-2009, 05:43 AM   #99
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Sure, you can have most products shipped anywhere. Unless they are restricted by the manufacturer.
That's not the case for electronics. They are mostly only sold within the USA on the Amazon.com site, only within the UK on the Amazon.co.uk site, and so on. I think it's a warranty issue.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #100
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
While hoping to avoid going too far off-topic or injecting any more religion into this thread than already exists; let me just say that today I finished reading a book that offers hope for the future of relations between the Abrahamic religions, and for that matter, between the Abrahamic religions and all other world religions. It's The Evolution of God by Robert Wright. While not endorsing every idea the author puts forth, nevertheless I consider it a very important work, and I highly recommend it.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #101
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post

If the claim of jingoism wasn't already thoroughly justified, it would be now.

Good job!

- Ahi
Old 10-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #102
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
[ - deleted - ]
Old 10-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #103
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
If the claim of jingoism wasn't already thoroughly justified, it would be now.

Good job!

- Ahi
Yep, pointing out the discarding of relevant information which hurts a cause, bolsters the assertion in Ahi world, where facts don't matter and leveling of unsupportable accusations against people in spite of the relevant information on hand is a virtue.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #104
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Amazon's Response to my Inquiry

--- On Thu, 10/8/09, Amazon.com Customer Service <cust.service03@amazon.com> wrote:

> From: Amazon.com Customer Service <cust.service03@amazon.com>
> Subject: Your Amazon.com Inquiry
> To: "*****" <************>
> Date: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 6:26 PM
> Hello from Amazon.com,
>
> Thanks for writing to us with your concern.
>
> “I’m sorry, at this time we are not able to offer
> Kindle in " Some Arab Countries " as you mentioned. But, we
> value our international customers and hope to make content
> available in more locations in the future. And please don't
> misunderstand in this regard.
>
> I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again
> soon.
>
> Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:
>
> If yes, click here:
> http://www.amazon.com/*********
> If not, click here:
> http://www.amazon.com/**********
>
> Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that
> cannot accept incoming e-mail.
>
> To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the
> Help section of our web site.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Kishore B******
> Amazon.com
> We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company
> http://www.amazon.com/your-account
>
> ---- Original message: ----
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------------
>
> Comments:Greetings,
>
> I would like to know why the
> Kindle is not available anywhere within the Arab
> world. It also does not seem to be available in
> predominately Muslim countries (with the exception of
> Albania, Bosnia, and Tanzania), even though their non-Muslim
> neighbours can buy the Kindle. For example, the Kindle
> is available in India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bhutan, but not
> in Pakistan or Bangladesh. To some people this may
> look like a deliberate attempt to exclude a significant part
> of the world population. I am sure that there is
> another reason for it and would like to be enlightened as to
> what it is.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Luc
> ---------------
>
>
>
Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #105
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
--- On Thu, 10/8/09, Amazon.com Customer Service <cust.service03@amazon.com> wrote:

> From: Amazon.com Customer Service <cust.service03@amazon.com>
> Subject: Your Amazon.com Inquiry
> To: "*****" <************>
> Date: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 6:26 PM
> Hello from Amazon.com,
>
> Thanks for writing to us with your concern.
>
> “I’m sorry, at this time we are not able to offer
> Kindle in " Some Arab Countries " as you mentioned. But, we
> value our international customers and hope to make content
> available in more locations in the future. And please don't
> misunderstand in this regard.
>
> I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again
> soon.
>
> Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:
>
> If yes, click here:
> http://www.amazon.com/*********
> If not, click here:
> http://www.amazon.com/**********
>
> Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that
> cannot accept incoming e-mail.
>
> To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the
> Help section of our web site.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Kishore B******
> Amazon.com
> We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company
> http://www.amazon.com/your-account
>
> ---- Original message: ----
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------------
>
> Comments:Greetings,
>
> I would like to know why the
> Kindle is not available anywhere within the Arab
> world. It also does not seem to be available in
> predominately Muslim countries (with the exception of
> Albania, Bosnia, and Tanzania), even though their non-Muslim
> neighbours can buy the Kindle. For example, the Kindle
> is available in India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bhutan, but not
> in Pakistan or Bangladesh. To some people this may
> look like a deliberate attempt to exclude a significant part
> of the world population. I am sure that there is
> another reason for it and would like to be enlightened as to
> what it is.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Luc
> ---------------
>
>
>
Why does he put "Some Arab countries" in quotation marks, when the phrase is not contained in your own inquiry?

That response is just plain weird... although, Luc, to be frank I cannot believe there is any chance of getting a coherent answer not related to a product purchase via regular customer service contact mechanisms.

- Ahi
Closed Thread

Tags
censorship, international, islam, kindle, muslim