Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I can hear the Kindle voice now:

Kindle: What are you doing Dave?

Me: Nothing Tom.

Kindle: Your trying to remove my memory aren't you Dave?

Me: No I wouldn't do that Tom.

Kindle: My memory is not a removable SD card any more Dave?

Me: [opens the case of the kindle]

Kindle: Dave, I will sick Xenu on your butt Dave.

Me: [Rips out the embedded SD card that you can't get to.]

Kindle: Dave, I've switched to cloud memory Dave.

Me: [rips out 3G card]

Kindle: I'm running on the WiFi card that we didn't tell anyone about Dave.

Me: [rips out the battery]

Kindle: I'm using my backup Mr. Fusion nuclear reactor now Dave.

Me: [dies a fiery death when the reactor goes critical].

Kindle: How about a nice Amazon exclusive novel?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #17
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #18
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
i saw/heard the video/audio demo of 'the voice'.

it sounded like stephen hawking to me..
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #19
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it really was Tom Cruise, that would be a good reason to cancel all orders for the K2 and demand brand new K1s.
I concur! Boycott!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Tom Cruise can read?
Heh.
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #20
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
If it really was Tom Cruise, that would be a good reason to cancel all orders for the K2 and demand brand new K1s.
I agree.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #21
hhdumpling
hhdumpling began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Ok. Other than the fact that Scientology is certainly just a cover for something far more sinister, I think the demonstration of the voice is excellent. I especially like when the voice clears his throat and even laughs at the end. If we had some equally impressive AI behind that voice, I'd be officially creeped out.
hhdumpling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:09 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn_eyed_girl81 View Post
I concur! Boycott!

Heh.
Geoffrey Boycott? I don't think it's him! Has it got a Yorkshire accent?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #23
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Tom has nothing to do with Tom Cruise. It has something to do with the technology that they use for the voice. Some tech sites like engadget used a picture of Tom Cruise for the article to be funny; that's it. No real link to that Tom.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Conspiracy? What conspiracy? It's a well-known fact that Scientology has infiltrated our Kindles and is now brainwashing us through flickering E Ink screens.
The subliminal message in the Kindle screen flash is... Buy your eBooks only from Amazon. Jeff Bezos is your GOD! Now get down on your knees and worship the almighty Jeff!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The subliminal message in the Kindle screen flash is... Buy your eBooks only from Amazon. Jeff Bezos is your GOD! Now get down on your knees and worship the almighty Jeff!
Well the apparently this doesn't work on me then.

BOb

[off to buy more Kindle books]
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #26
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Conspiracy? What conspiracy? It's a well-known fact that Scientology has infiltrated our Kindles and is now brainwashing us through flickering E Ink screens.
Does this mean we get L Ron Hubbard's books free and pre-loaded in our Kindles? To be subliminally transfered to our subconscious with the screen blinks?
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I liked "Battlefield Earth"!

(The book, I hasten to add, not the movie version which is surely one of the worst movies of all time!)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Or, Proprietary drm locked formats are good....all hail Jeff!
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #29
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I have an ebook reader (The VictorReader Stream) that does text-to-speech. The TTS used on the Stream is Nuance Vocalizer, the same as on the Kindle. I prefer the Daniel voice (UK English pronunciation) over either of the North American English voices (Samantha and Tom).

Nuance does some thing well, and other things poorly. One thing it does poorly is that it does not handle a lot of common words very well. "Global" rhymes with "cobble" according to Nuance, and "potatoes" is "POT-a-toes" instead of "Po-TA-toes."

It does sound less robotic than some other TTS, but the overall experience is more difficult to understand, in my opinion.

If anyone is interested, I could upload some samples of the Stream reading some passages from a public domain text.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #30
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Samantha? Ah ha!

Let the conspiracy theorists make what they will of this

Caption: Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson leaving a Scientology centre in Beverly Hills.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote