Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Latest Fire HDX upgrade brings audible simiulation to the WORD.

After the latest Kindle Fire HDX 2013 firmware upgrade, one can tap any word on a page of an eBook and a menu appears showing a right pointing arrow. Tap the arrow and the HDX starts reading to you from that very word. Voices are selectable elsewhere on the HDX.

Close the Kindle cover and the reading continues. Open the cover and the location page is shown and the reading stops.

Thus, the new firmware makes Audio Books OBSOLETE. There is no need to buy them as extra add-ons anymore.

I was reading an eBook, started the audio, closed the cover and spent an hour doing other things while the eBook was being read to me as I carried the closed HDX around placing it on tables as I worked.

Then I opened the cover at my desk and was able to continue reading from where the audio left off.

For folks with lots of daily tasks this new feature allows them to get more reading done while taking care of more important matters.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-22-2013 at 09:06 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Doesn't work on my HD. Why is that?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only for the HDX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Doesn't work on my HD. Why is that?
It only works for the HDX, not the HD.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I know. And I want to know why Amazon only gives the latest version of its OS to the current generation of its devices?
Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard

No idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I know. And I want to know why Amazon only gives the latest version of its OS to the current generation of its devices?
I have no idea. You'd have to ask them. The HD had features that the regular Fire did not have either.

The Kindle Keyboard had none of the features of the first Paperwhite and the second Paperwhite has features not on the first Paperwhite.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thus, the new firmware makes Audio Books OBSOLETE. There is no need to buy them as extra add-ons anymore.
From one who doesn't mind TTS, I don't think this feature will make audio books obsolete. No generated voice can add the nuances, inflection and emotion an actual person can introduce when reading text, not to mention mispronunciation of words like "read", "record" in certain contexts. The mispronunciation is distracting in TTS (and still I use it a lot in the car!).
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard

Male American Voice is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
From one who doesn't mind TTS, I don't think this feature will make audio books obsolete. No generated voice can add the nuances, inflection and emotion an actual person can introduce when reading text, not to mention mispronunciation of words like "read", "record" in certain contexts. The mispronunciation is distracting in TTS (and still I use it a lot in the car!).
The male, American voice is great, pausing at the end of sentences and paragraphs and good variations in pitch. It is just as good as an Audible book for me unless the Audible book had music and sound effects intertwined with the reading. I have that kind of sound in my Now Bible NIV and of course TTS cannot match that. However, I never use the Now Bible anymore since they only have the Bible on it and my HDX 2013 has so may other features. My AcroBible on the HDX can be in its own TTS with sound pitch variations as well.

However, when reading normally, I usually go back a paragraph or even a page in many areas to fully understand something important. The voice reading ploughs straight ahead. They really need a "Back" button to get a re-reading of some passages. Maybe the HDX 2014 will have that feature.

Of course, I could open the cover to stop the reading, page back and then start it again. Actually, I just thought of that and may use that feature the next time I use the voice.

It is too bad that Amazon does not retrofit the sound eBook reading to the HD 2012 but the hardware of that device may not support it.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-24-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
connie2000
Connoisseur
connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire HD 6", PW2, sony 950, Fire Phone, kindle fire HDX 9, Huawei Mate
Quote:
It works on my HD 2nd Gen.
connie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
If simple TTS functionality causes you to believe that then I don't think you've listened to quality audio books.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Thus, the new firmware makes Audio Books OBSOLETE.
Ridiculous.

Maybe you're not a big audiobook user and it's made them obsolete for you (which is fine), but such a blanket statement doesn't hold water.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I have no idea. You'd have to ask them. The HD had features that the regular Fire did not have either.
Barring hardware limitations, it's ridiculous to limit new features to new devices. Contrary to what Bezos has said, me thinks Amazon wants you to be on the "upgrade treadmill".

Last year during Amazon's roll out of the Fire HD, Bezos said "for example, we don't need you to be on the upgrade treadmill". If Amazon truly believed that, then why wasn't the HD upgraded from Fire OS 2 (And 4.0.3) to Fire OS 3 (And 4.2.2)?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I agree even if they don't provide all of the features of the current model they should still provide the updated software.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
It is a huge upgrade over previous versions of TTS but there is no way it is remotely close to a professional, quality audio book with a good reader performing.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote