Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Idiot Mentor has Locked...Again

My Mentor has locked up for the second time. When I started it yesterday afternoon, it got as far as the screen that displays the eight grayscale bars across the screen, then sat there and just laughed at me. The last time that happened, I placed on the charger overnight and and the problem cleared up so I placed it on the charger yesterday afternoon and let it charge overnight. It was still locked. I tried pressing the reset button on the back several times and, each time, the screen would go blank then return to the gray bars, laughing maniacally the entire time. I then tried removing the battery for a couple of minutes (losing the stupid little screw, of course) then replacing it (it had 4+ volts on it, btw). That got the misbegotten thing to turn off. I restarted it, it went directly to the gray bars and that horrible laughter started again. It's setting on the charger now and I'm at a loss for what to do. Any ideas (short of something satisfyingly destructive)? BTW, the battery meter was a full the last time I used it.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
sagars24
sagars24 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: borges impres-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
My Mentor has locked up for the second time. When I started it yesterday afternoon, it got as far as the screen that displays the eight grayscale bars across the screen, then sat there and just laughed at me. The last time that happened, I placed on the charger overnight and and the problem cleared up so I placed it on the charger yesterday afternoon and let it charge overnight. It was still locked. I tried pressing the reset button on the back several times and, each time, the screen would go blank then return to the gray bars, laughing maniacally the entire time. I then tried removing the battery for a couple of minutes (losing the stupid little screw, of course) then replacing it (it had 4+ volts on it, btw). That got the misbegotten thing to turn off. I restarted it, it went directly to the gray bars and that horrible laughter started again. It's setting on the charger now and I'm at a loss for what to do. Any ideas (short of something satisfyingly destructive)? BTW, the battery meter was a full the last time I used it.
My solution involves loosing all your data on the mentor but I think it will solve the problem. Just do a firmware upgage. U can install the same one you have or try a different version. I would highly recommend trying to Cooler Reader FW. Please let me know if you need help with the process.
sagars24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagars24 View Post
My solution involves loosing all your data on the mentor but I think it will solve the problem. Just do a firmware upgage. U can install the same one you have or try a different version. I would highly recommend trying to Cooler Reader FW. Please let me know if you need help with the process.
Problem is I don't want to loose that data.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Dang thing is still locked. I was reading one of the books on there so it's doubly annoying.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
If you plug it into your computer do the drives mount in Windows? If so you could copy all your data off then reflash. Not a mentor owner, but I'd highly recommend flashing with the proper firmware for the device.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
If you plug it into your computer do the drives mount in Windows? If so you could copy all your data off then reflash. Not a mentor owner, but I'd highly recommend flashing with the proper firmware for the device.
Ok, I know what you mean but the first read through put an inappropriate image in my mind. (need sleep)

All seriousness aside, I had that thought (not the inappropriate one) but haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Lightglow
Lightglow began at the beginning.

Device: astak mentor and pocket pro
I had that happen with my astak mentor freezing up on the greyscale. try press the menu button on the side then the + button and then the - button on the other side.
If that doesn't work then do a firmware upgrade.
Lightglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightglow View Post
I had that happen with my astak mentor freezing up on the greyscale. try press the menu button on the side then the + button and then the - button on the other side.
If that doesn't work then do a firmware upgrade.
Didn't work. I'm still hoping I can get the damned thing to work long enough for me to download the books on it (or, at least, the one I was reading) before I try to flash it.

I also tried to get my computer to read the device but it just sat there and laughed at me.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Send me an PM and let me have you talk with Walter

Quote:
Didn't work. I'm still hoping I can get the damned thing to work long enough for me to download the books on it (or, at least, the one I was reading) before I try to flash it.

I also tried to get my computer to read the device but it just sat there and laughed at me.
Dear Lady:

When you have that surgery you will need that Mentor working. The one guy here who really knows the Mentor and the people at that factory is Walter! Considering your upcoming surgery... let us have you talk to him.

Send me a PM and I will give you his email and mine also!!

Let us find out exactly what to do!!

Bob
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Ok, I emailed Robert and heard squat! Shortly after that came the announcement that Robert "retired" and Jenifer was taking over. I still have a dead Mentor. I would try to flash it with Cool Reader firmware, as several here, have suggested but haven't because, first, I don't want to lose the books that came with the Mentor (especially the one that I was reading) and, second, I've yet to see directions for flashing firmware I can understand. Now what? Play frisbee with the thing?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

So much for dropping hints. Jenifer, I'm expecting you to pick up the dropped ball.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
Quote:
Ok, I emailed Robert and heard squat! Shortly after that came the announcement that Robert "retired" and Jenifer was taking over. I still have a dead Mentor. I would try to flash it with Cool Reader firmware, as several here, have suggested but haven't because, first, I don't want to lose the books that came with the Mentor (especially the one that I was reading) and, second, I've yet to see directions for flashing firmware I can understand. Now what? Play frisbee with the thing?
I'm sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner, I just got back from the weekend.

My first suggestion would be to send a message to support@astak.com. I am literally a cubicle away from the team, so I can ask them to be on the lookout for your email. Also, please CC your message to my email at jenifera@ezread.com. That way I can pester them even more.

Being without your reader must be frustrating, so I hope we can find a solution soon!
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
If you can, return it and buy a diff. device.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote