Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Smile FREE pdf The Breadwinners - an epic family saga set in South Africa

Now doing a limited promotion of a FREE PDF version on my website. Hope you'll drop by. SORRY - FREE PROMOTION HAS ENDED.

www.just4kix.jimdo.com

Hi,
This is the Amazon review of The Breadwinners. It is presently selling at $0.99

This review is from: The Breadwinners (Kindle Edition)
Love, passion, family rivalries and ruthless business dealings combine to make `The Breadwinners', by South African Indie writer, Jan Hurst-Nicholson, a totally absorbing family saga.

The novel explores the lives of three South African families, each involved in the bakery industry. It spans three generations and is set against a backdrop of 20th century world events.

Similar novels of the family saga genre often feature families whose wealth has been generated through banking, multi-national corporations or genealogy. Hurst-Nicholson, who was previously employed in research and technology in the South African baking industry, has stuck to the adage: write about what you are familiar with, and her experience has added a refreshing authenticity to her description of the setting. This is further supported by the use of colloquial terms, the meaning of which is generally clear from the context or by using the Kindle dictionary.

Characterization is one of this novel's strong points and each of the many characters is fully fleshed out. There are some excellent examples of imagery, concise descriptive detail and a strong emphasis on characterization through verbs not adjectives, or 'show not tell'.

If a fault or blemish had to be identified, it might be the somewhat abrupt ending of the novel. While it was appropriate, I was left hoping for more and I sincerely hope the author is considering a sequel.

If you enjoy the work of Barbara Taylor Bradford, Belva Plain and Catherine Gaskin then you will enjoy `The Breadwinners' as well.

An enjoyable and engrossing read. Five stars.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Breadwinne...tt_at_ep_dpi_1

Last edited by Just4kix; 03-30-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: update
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking

The Breadwinners has just been tweeted as a bestseller by hotsellingbooks.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Breadwinne...6726243&sr=1-1
Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Is it available at Smashwords? A lot of us do not own Kindles and cannot use Kindle files. Others simply refuse to buy from Amazon. And yet others both do not own a Kindle and refuse to buy from Amazon. IOW, there are a lot of people who might be interested but aren't Amazon/Kindle folk.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
Just4kix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Is it available at Smashwords? A lot of us do not own Kindles and cannot use Kindle files. Others simply refuse to buy from Amazon. And yet others both do not own a Kindle and refuse to buy from Amazon. IOW, there are a lot of people who might be interested but aren't Amazon/Kindle folk.
Hi Richard,
I would love to be able to make it available in other forms, but Smashwords require you to have a PayPal account for payments, and South Africa does not allow you to receive money via PayPal because of tax tracking. They have just permitted one bank to allow payment in dollars, but it is not the bank I use and it would cost a fortune to change banks. I would have to sell an enormous number of books to make it worthwhile.
I investigated selling via Barnes & Noble, but they require you to have an account with them and a US credit card and if you live outside of the US I don't know how you could organise that.
Sorry.
If you read this link you will see why other authors are wary of Smashwords.
http://writeitforward.wordpress.com/...k-distributor/

Last edited by Just4kix; 10-15-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Just4kix
Zealot

Sorry, free promotion has closed.

Last edited by Just4kix; 03-30-2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: free promotion has closed
Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4kix View Post
FREE pdf The Breadwinners - an epic family saga set in South Africa

Now doing a limited promotion of a FREE PDF version on my website. Hope you'll drop by.

www.just4kix.jimdo.com
How about offering it in ePub at your website?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Just4kix
Zealot

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately I can't publish through ePub as I don't live in the US, and I can't publish through Smashwords as I can't receive PayPal payments.

If I offer a free ebook through Amazon they charge me an extra $2 for the Whispernet charge.

The only way I can offer a free book is a PDF on my website.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Just4kix
Zealot

If you're looking to settle down with a good long read over the holidays, you might like to try The Breadwinners.

For a FREE pdf (limited time) visit my website www.just4kix.jimdo.com
Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

Thank you Jan, I look forward to tackling these - thanks for your generosity !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Thanks for the reads, is is very nice of you!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #11
Just4kix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Thank you Jan, I look forward to tackling these - thanks for your generosity !
You're welcome. Hope you enjoy the read.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #12
Just4kix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Thanks for the reads, is is very nice of you!
You're welcome. Hope it makes a good stocking filler
Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #13
Just4kix
Zealot

Thrilled to announce that The Breadwinners has made it to the quarter finals of the 2012 ABNA contest.

These are the reviews that got me through.

ABNA Expert Reviewer

What is the strongest aspect of this excerpt?

I thoroughly enjoyed this excerpt. Charles is a conflicted man, a flawed hero, and the author nimbly renders the inner conflict regarding his seduction of Hilde and his pride in the resultant paternity, as well as his lovelorn abjection. Character development is pitch-perfect. The narrative tension is growing steadily. The pace and rhythm is lyrical, and the local color/environment is vivid. This author knows how to write an entertaining and substantial narrative.

What aspect needs the most work?

The excerpt is convincing, compelling me to continue to read. There are one or two turns of phrase that are not fresh, and could be considered cliche, such as "piercing blue eyes," and "a warm glow through his body." However, these are not glaring errors within the context of the entire excerpt.

What is your overall opinion of this excerpt?

From what I have read, this is ready to be published. I was hooked from the first page by the writing and by the character of Charles. The author pays attention to detail and local color, creating an environment of dimensional characters and conflicts. The prose is muscular and the mood and tone are spot-on. Moreover, I was intrigued by secondary characters, for example the obese Benjamin, who fears the potential violence of his father. There is nuanced foreshadowing here. The author is also portraying the prejudices of South Africa with subtlety. I would certainly want to read the rest of this story.

ABNA Expert Reviewer

What is the strongest aspect of this excerpt?

The writing style is solid and only enhances the story. The characters are being developed fully with some of their strengths and flaws already apparent. The plot is moving along nicely. There is the slightest foreshadowing but the reader doesn't know fully what to expect in the battle between the bakeries.

What aspect needs the most work?

Be careful to avoid stock characters--especially in the supporting women roles.

What is your overall opinion of this excerpt?

A well written beginning with interesting and very human characters already in the midst of a potentially explosive conflict. The exotic setting only adds to the story and doesn't detract. I am intrigued and would most definitely continue reading the novel.

Tags
family saga, fiction, historical fiction, south africa, wwii