Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
M3m3nt0
M3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Download PDFs directly on Kindle 3rd

Hi everybody!

I'm new and Italian, so please forgive me for my english

I'm really happy because today I received my own Kindle 3rd generation...it's awesome!

the only (for now) feature missing is the possibility to download PDFs files directly into the Kindle using the Experimental Browser...
any work-around, tip, trick, idea...??

p.s: Great forum, guys!
M3m3nt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, M3m3nt0

You should be able to just 'drag and drop' the file to your documents folder on your k3.....

Chapter 3.7 on you kindle users guide, (page 88) explains more in detail.....

here is the link.

http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindl...de_English.pdf
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
M3m3nt0
M3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheeseM3m3nt0 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, M3m3nt0

You should be able to just 'drag and drop' the file to your documents folder on your k3.....

Chapter 3.7 on you kindle users guide, (page 88) explains more in detail.....

here is the link.

http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindl...de_English.pdf
...maybe i misunderstood your answer, but what I meant was that I would be able to browse the internet with the Kindle's browser (connected through WiFi) and download directly the PDF file...
Old 10-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3m3nt0 View Post
Hi everybody!

I'm new and Italian, so please forgive me for my english

I'm really happy because today I received my own Kindle 3rd generation...it's awesome!

the only (for now) feature missing is the possibility to download PDFs files directly into the Kindle using the Experimental Browser...
any work-around, tip, trick, idea...??
I wanted to do the same but its not possible.

What you can do is open the PDF URL using the Google Docs viewer or use an online file conversion site.

I'm hoping that there will be a way soon to use bookmarklets with the Kindle 3 web browser which may help to automate opening a PDF's URL in Google Docs' viewer at least.
Polvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
...maybe i misunderstood your answer, but what I meant was that I would be able to browse the internet with the Kindle's browser (connected through WiFi) and download directly the PDF file...
sorry. My error.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
PDF files tend to be very large, and I'm sure Amazon doesn't want the additional 3G bill if they allowed you download them.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
The fairest option would be to let us download PDF when not connected via 3G (ie at no cost to Amazon).

Do non-3G connections also go via Amazon's proxy? If so perhaps this would make a nice hack.
Polvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polvo View Post
The fairest option would be to let us download PDF when not connected via 3G (ie at no cost to Amazon).

Do non-3G connections also go via Amazon's proxy? If so perhaps this would make a nice hack.
It has nothing to do with a proxy: the browser will only download mobi/prc/azw files.

I've suggested (kindle-feedback@amazon.com) that they allow PDF download when using the browser over wifi, since they would not pay anything for that.

While the browser does not allow you to download PDFs directly, you can email them as attachements. So for example if you have a google account, and have PDFs stored in Google Docs, you can go to docs.google.com and email them to your Kindle using its own browser. But of course, it takes a little foresight to put them in Google Docs...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
M3m3nt0

oh...
as I suspected...

There is the possibility (for Amazon) to limit the download of PDFs only to 3G connections...?
It will be very useful donwload mp3 (Audiobooks) or PDF (like CreativeCommons licensed books) when you are connected through your WiFi (I mean 802.11b/g)...

maybe they could add this feature with a future firmware release...?
or the only possibility is to "find an hack"...?

(I'm not so good in programming, so I ask you if it's an impossible hack to do...)
Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
oh...
as I suspected...

There is the possibility (for Amazon) to limit the download of PDFs only to 3G connections...?
It will be very useful donwload mp3 (Audiobooks) or PDF (like CreativeCommons licensed books) when you are connected through your WiFi (I mean 802.11b/g)...

maybe they could add this feature with a future firmware release...?
or the only possibility is to "find an hack"...?

(I'm not so good in programming, so I ask you if it's an impossible hack to do...)
Yes, I hope they will enable PDF download with the browser over wifi via a future update. I'm sure it is technically possible for Amazon to make this change, but I'm not holding my breath. As to whether this could be hacked, I can only guess (and poorly, at that).

As an example of where Kindle is more restrictive about 3G than with wifi, I would point to Audible content, which can only be downloaded via wifi (but in that case, the browser is not involved).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
M3m3nt0

sorry for the double-post...

Maybe this hack will work fine also for Kindle 3...
http://blogkindle.com/2009/07/downlo...e-dx-directly/

Anyone could try it and report?
(I just have my Kindle since yesterday... )
Old 10-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
No, it won't.

The restriction has been moved from a config file to the browser rendering engine binary itself.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
M3m3nt0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
No, it won't.

The restriction has been moved from a config file to the browser rendering engine binary itself.
sad news....
Old 06-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
Nickx
Nickx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi+3G, Kindle PW Wifi
This is a workaround I figured out today from reading a thread asking the same thing for the k5...(didn't really explain as well) here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211046

I am now able to download PDF files from google searches and goes straight to /mnt/us/documents . woots

you need to be jailbroken. have terminal access or usbnetwork.

I did this with myts and mntroot.
This will not step through everything, you should be able to fill in, or else you should be doing this probably.
this is not meant to be followed as a step by step guide, its hinting at what to do, and the methods may be subjective based on users prefered methods.

1. open a terminal, or ssh, and make a backup of /usr/bin/browserd
2. create a second copy to open in a hex editor.
3. search the file for "mobipocket"(this is the one i edited)

4. you should see a MIME/HTTP type header "application/x-mobipocket-ebook"

what I did was kept "application/x-m" there and replaced the rest of the string, "obipocket-ebook" with 00 hex, which in most hex editors should be represented by a "."

5. save.
6. remove the old browserd, replace it with the new one.
7. reboot.

heres what i did in myts

#: cp /usr/bin/browserd/ /mnt/us/browserd.bak
#: cp /usr/bin/browserd/ /mnt/us/

did the previously mentioned steps(1-7), editting the /mnt/us/browserd that was created and went back to myts, assuming the mount was lost

#: mntroot rw
#: rm /usr/bin/browserd/
#: cp /mnt/us/browserd /usr/bin/

reboot.

if you messed up you have the .bak .

Last edited by Nickx; 06-21-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Nickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One thing you can do is use a program like PDF to Epub to convert the pdf to kindle format (it converts pdf's to html, epubs & kindle files) and then use Send To Kindle to send the converted file to your kindle reader.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote