Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #136
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
A few more:

Kim Stanley Robinson's Red/Green/Blue Mars Series --- truly epic, and very well written.
I don't know, I have read the first 2, and couldn't find the courage to start the 3rd. I find them too tedious, I couldn't take more of Coyote and his ramblings while driving the rover - those passages take forever.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #137
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Dune by Frank Herbert
The Stars My Destination (aka Tyger! Tyger!) by Alfred Bester
The Einstein Intersection and Dahlgren by Samuel R. Delany
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Leguin
The Man in the High Castle and UBIK by Philip K. Dick
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #138
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I know several people have posted Bester's The Stars My Destination, but I thought I would mention that Bester's other masterpiece, The Demolished Man, might in some respects be even more important. Certainly it influenced Babylon 5.

I love how it showed how a society might deal with the reality of mind reading law enforcement.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #139
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I know several people have posted Bester's The Stars My Destination, but I thought I would mention that Bester's other masterpiece, The Demolished Man, might in some respects be even more important. Certainly it influenced Babylon 5.

--
Bill
I love the Demolished Man, too. And I probably should have put it on my list, too. But I have to say, in terms of the sheer power of its Story, Themes, and Characters, i have to go with The Stars My Destination as being Bester's greatest work...which even after all these years doesn't seem dated at all to me. And Gully Foyle...is just simply one of the greatest characters in modern fiction. "I kill you filthy!" Love it.

And The Demolished Man was definitely an influence on Babylon-5. But I think it's biggest influence was probably E. E. Smith's Lensman Series mixed in with The Lord of the Rings, because of the whole "First Ones" playing games against each other using the younger races as pawns in their grand scheme.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #140
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
"The Left Hand of Darkness"
"The Dispossessed"
both by Ursula Le Guin

They have each been mentioned before but I just wanted to add another vote for each.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #141
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by aecardenas View Post

And The Demolished Man was definitely an influence on Babylon-5. But I think it's biggest influence was probably E. E. Smith's Lensman Series mixed in with The Lord of the Rings, because of the whole "First Ones" playing games against each other using the younger races as pawns in their grand scheme.
Oh, I never denied that there are other influences. Babylon-5 clearly was written by a man who knew Science Fiction fairly well.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #142
efindel
efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.efindel goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'll throw in some love for Stephen Gould's Jumper, the best novel is the subgenre of "what if someone actually had a superpower?" subgenre I've ever read. (For those who have seen the movie, but not read the book, the only real relationship between them is the premise of "what if someone could teleport?" and a few character names.)

It looks like everything else I'd like to mention has already been mentioned several times. :-)
efindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #143
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
1. THE ROBOT SERIES, ISAAC ASIMOV
2. THE FOUNDATION TRILOGY, ISAAC ASIMOV
3. THE TIME MACHINE, H.G. WELLS
4. THE LOST WORLD, SIR ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE

*Sorry for including series.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #144
alishajordan
Eclectic Collector
alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alishajordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, PC, & Kindle Cloud
I'll add a few new ones

I'll throw a few out there that haven't been mentioned:

This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman
Nightfall by Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg
Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear
Darwin's Children (sequel) by Greg Bear

(Links got to Wikipedia articles for the books).

My boyfriend wants me to add Neuromancer by William Gibson, Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, and Earth by David Brin, but I can't vouch for them directly.
alishajordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #145
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Best novel(s)

The Forever War
Canticle For Liebowitz
Fahrenheit 451
Slaughterhouse-Five
+
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (OK, so its not that great but it still makes me laugh )

Best Series

Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos
Asimov's Foundation
Herbert's Dune (the first cycle)
+
Wolfe's Book of the New Sun (though its probably more fantasy)
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #146
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (OK, so its not that great but it still makes me laugh )

It's "not that great"?

Blasphemy! Shun! Shu-u-u-u-un!
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #147
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
It's "not that great"?

Blasphemy! Shun! Shu-u-u-u-un!

(Puts on serious face) I meant as a work of literature, of course.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:45 AM   #148
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Dune - Frank Herbert
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #149
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Dune - Frank Herbert
Ditto
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #150
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Dune - Frank Herbert
I was really looking forward to getting this book, but the price tag and editing issues for kindle have kept me from reading it. Somehow I missed in my sci-fi reading spree in college.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi novel