Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
didiyy
didiyy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Python error!

Could someone explain (very simply) why I have suddenly had the following 2 error messages on each successive day when trying to access Calibre.

The first was:

"Python function terminated unexpectedly
Bad magic numer in C:\Program Files (x86) Calibre2\Lib\site-packages\calibre\devices\telcast\driver.pyo (Error Code:1)"

This morning it was:

"Python function terminated unexpectedly
Bad magic numer in C:\Program Files (x86) Calibre2\xml\sax\saxutils.pyr (Error Code:1)

On both occasions I have uninstalled Calibre and reinstalled, but would like to understand why this problem has occurred and how I can resolve it.

Thank you
Didiyy
didiyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
it indicates files in your calibre installation are being corrupted. The most likely culprit is disk failure.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
didiyy

How do I resolve it, my computer is only 4 months old!

Thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by didiyy View Post
How do I resolve it, my computer is only 4 months old!

Thanks
The obvious and most important first step is to create a backup, if you don't have a current one. Do this first thing and as soon as possible, if your drive really is failing, you could lose your data. Then, either try to diagnose whether the drive really is failing and contact your retailer if it is or just talk to your retailer directly- they should have some sort of support for cases like these.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
didiyy

Thank you, I'll back up and see if I can get to the bottom of the problem.
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 04:10 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Are you running windows? If so, *after you make the backup*, you can use the disk error checker to get some information. Right-click on the drive, choose properties, tools, check drive for errors. Check the box 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. Windows should complain about the drive being in use, and ask you if you want to do the check at the next boot. Say yes, and reboot your machine.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
didiyy

Thank you, yes I have already done that and everything is fine again - Thank Heavens. It's always scarey when you have little technical knowledge and things go wrong. I love Calibre, it is so easy to use and I am discovering more things as I go.

Thank you for your help