Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylaM View Post
j: I try to be a basically HONEST person. I know they're few and far between now days, but if I'm not supposed to have it, I don't.
Uh, ok.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
I did delete it. I guess the better question was, will I receive one of those e-mail notice things about copyrighted material?
No. They send those to people who are uploading/distributing material, not just downloading it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #18
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
No. They send those to people who are uploading/distributing material, not just downloading it.
Depends on how you parse it. People are being sued for file-sharing Hurt Locker as I type. The articles I've read don't distinguish between just downloading something and sharing it. But, if your preference is not being sued, I wouldn't download copyrighted stuff.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #19
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
j: I try to be a basically HONEST person. I know they're few and far between now days, but if I'm not supposed to have it, I don't.
Y'know, as a basically honest person (like nearly everybody on MobileRead, which is tens of thousands of us), I really resent that.

An interesting question: Let's say you live in the US (a life+70 country) and go to visit a life+50 country. On the way home, you buy a life+60 book (legal in the country you're buying it in, but not in the US) in the airport bookstore to have something to read while you wait. You (and your book) get on the plane to come home. In the US airport ... what do you do with your book?

The Internet makes all sorts of things complicated.

But in any event, nobody cares if Joe Schmoe downloads an in-copyright book or two so long as he doesn't pass them around; nobody will, in fact, know about said books. Even if Joe picks up the latest and greatest, rather than something decades old and forgotten about by everyone, including the decades-later successors in interest to its publisher, nobody is going to know unless they raid the servers and sloooowly sort out what person, from what country, and when, downloaded which book. The letters in question went out to people who were handing out large numbers of recent songs, not people who deleted a handful of ancient books, and given how well the RIAA's efforts weren't received, that's unlikely to change.

I'm sure, somewhere in my collection of books legal in my country, I've gotten one or two that are actually only legal somewhere else. No little letters, and I don't expect any. Sorry to say, but the publishing industry doesn't think you're important at all.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Depends on how you parse it. People are being sued for file-sharing Hurt Locker as I type. The articles I've read don't distinguish between just downloading something and sharing it. But, if your preference is not being sued, I wouldn't download copyrighted stuff.
Well, if you are using a file sharing site, like a torrent, to obtain copyrighted materials, you very likely are also uploading the same files you download unless you take special steps to disable the uploads.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #21
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Just delete the book if it makes you uncomfortable to have it. It is extremely doubtful that your internet provider or anybody else knows or cares that you downloaded a couple hundred kilobytes of copyrighted text.

As for the social commentary about the dishonesty of mostly everybody in the world but you, I'm not touching that.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #22
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Depends on how you parse it. People are being sued for file-sharing Hurt Locker as I type.
For sharing, yes. Not just for downloading. The original question in this thread was about downloading.

Quote:
The articles I've read don't distinguish between just downloading something and sharing it.
That's because most of the journalists who write those articles don't know the difference.

Quote:
But, if your preference is not being sued, I wouldn't download copyrighted stuff.
If you just download and don't share, then nobody is going to have any knowledge that you're even doing it other than yourself and the person you're downloading it from. The copyright owners will never know.

Every lawsuit I've ever seen with regards to this stuff is always because somebody was sharing, not downloading.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #23
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well, if you are using a file sharing site, like a torrent, to obtain copyrighted materials, you very likely are also uploading the same files you download unless you take special steps to disable the uploads.

--
Bill
That's true, of course. But, I haven't yet found an explanation of exactly what the people are being sued for, if it's sharing or just downloading.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #24
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I believe the original question was about downloading material from here, which means file-sharing/uploading wasn't involved.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #25
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
That's true, of course. But, I haven't yet found an explanation of exactly what the people are being sued for, if it's sharing or just downloading.
I don't think anybody has ever been sued for downloading.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #26
GinoXB
Connoisseur
GinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura about

Device: Aluratek Libre
GaylaM it's understandable that you downloaded something from a server located in another country where copyright laws might be different. I highly doubt that you'll lose your internet connection or anything will happen to you. If you don't feel comfortable having it on our computer you can safely delete it. Mainly the copyright laws that differ from country to country so even if it's assumed that it is still protected here in the U.S. and out of print it's not a serious problem unless you're distributing it through the internet to thousands of other people. I think many people hear horror stories about big brother watching everything we do or the stories about people being sued for illegally downloading stuff and going to jail. I seriously doubt this applies to your situation. If it's public domain in Canada and not in the U.S. I'm pretty sure it's not in print and you're aren't denying a publisher their due royalties.
GinoXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #27
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I believe the original question was about downloading material from here, which means file-sharing/uploading wasn't involved.
That was my point.

I am definitely in the camp that believes that even downloading copies of copyrighted materials is questionable from a legal perspective, but I agree that someone who downloads from a website is unlikely to be noticed by the publisher.

--
Bill
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #28
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I am definitely in the camp that believes that even downloading copies of copyrighted materials is questionable from a legal perspective
Almost everything you download from the internet is copyrighted. If that were illegal, you'd potentially be breaking the law just about every time you clicked on a link.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #29
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Almost everything you download from the internet is copyrighted. If that were illegal, you'd potentially be breaking the law just about every time you clicked on a link.
The fact that it's on the internet doesn't change the basic legality of the situation.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #30
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Sigh... you know, or should know what I mean. There is both a legal and ethical difference between downloading a web page, youtube video or even downloading a novel that was placed online by its creator and one that was placed there by someone who has done so illegally.

--
Bill