Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
DavidJD
DavidJD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
PDF to Mobi conversion problem

I've been using Calibre for a while to convert files to Mobi format for my Kindle 2, and have had pretty good luck so far with PDF files. But just now I used Calibre 0.6.13 to convert a text-based PDF file, and the output was mostly a Document Outline containing a long list of BMP files (but not the text).

I assume the PDF is text based because I can select text in a PDF reader and copy and paste it to a text editor; it is a rather large file, though, and the table of contents is the same list of BMP files.

What am I missing here? Is the PDF reader (Foxit Reader) doing OCR on the fly? Does Calibre not do that?
DavidJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
hard to say without being able to see the file in question. Can you extract a couple of pages and post them? calibre definitely doesn't do OCR and I doubt Foxit does either.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
DavidJD

including extract

I used PDF Split and Merge to extract three pages (file attached). In Foxit I can see the three pages, but as converted by Calibre to Mobi, I can see only the first page (16) and then a list of BMP files.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf zinn_extract.pdf (130.1 KB, 707 views)
Old 10-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's an image based PDF
Old 10-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It could have a text layer under the image, though, and that's why it allows text selecting
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
DavidJD

So would it be possible for Calibre to grab the text layer only?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not at the moment. When my rewrite of the PDF conversion engine is done perhaps.

Tags
mobi, pdf conversion