Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
13" Reader

Is there any information about the announced 13" reader by Onyx?
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Not that I know of.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Goldorak
Goldorak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Sony PRS1, Oaxis F8
I heard it will be available at the end of this year, but it's not sure. I wrote to Zeng and Onyx, i'm still waiting for the answer. I hope they will make it possible, i read in a russian blog they will give up this project and prefer an 11 inch HD reader. Hope it's not true.
Goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's worth noting that onyx is not showing off a 13" device at shows. That tells us that it is not anywhere close to being ready to be seen in public, much less sold to consumers.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:43 AM   #5
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
The Sony 13'' Mobius and 13'' Pocketbook (eink fina) are both restricted to 150 ppi .
I prefer the idea to develop 11'' e-ink device with HD resolution instead - at least 212 ppi or the ultra HD e-ink with 264ppi.

Last edited by Dolansky; 05-05-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
Goldorak

I just phoned to Onyx about the 13.3 reader. They told me it will perhaps be available more next year than the end of 2014, but it depends on the market demand. I hope it will be real for all customers to have it next year, and not to let it down such device. Moreover, the M96 will be available at the end of may in China, or begining of june for sure. I can't wait for next year and i think i will buy the sony for 7200 yuans this week. What a pity there is only this compagny with such big screen device !
Old 05-06-2014, 02:20 AM   #7
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Personally, I think large ereaders with a glass backpane are a bad idea: they would be too fragile and heavy. I hope the reason for the delay is that Onyx is working on a model with a flexible screen like Mobius.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
Goldorak

Jmirko, they told me there will be both : one like Sony with mobius, another one with a glass screen.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Personally, I think large ereaders with a glass backpane are a bad idea: they would be too fragile and heavy. I hope the reason for the delay is that Onyx is working on a model with a flexible screen like Mobius.
They can only hope that Plastic Logic or someone else would start offering those 13.3 screens next year at much lower price.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/applications/

In the meantime Fina screens and new generation Gorilla glass should reduce the weight of tablets and e-readers considerably.

http://liliputing.com/2013/12/e-ink-...r-lighter.html

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...n-tougher.aspx

I would buy 10" or bigger tablet with paper-like low-power color LCD like these or Liquavista immediately if within 500-600 $ price range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXu9jmTI2A

Last edited by markom; 05-06-2014 at 12:52 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Turning point

Finally things are going to change with Samsung releasing 13.3in tablet.
Finally Chinese can get hands on Sony DPT-S1 to make cheaper copies.
Finally thousands of people who need to read documents in A4/letter-sized ereader/tablet are at the end of their wait.

Badly needed in music, law, construction, government, education... Where else?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
Is there any information about the announced 13" reader by Onyx?
You'll find bits & pieces of info about it posted by Zeng from Onyx in the M96 thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227304
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
tsmithe
tsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-books

Device: None yet
When I spoke to Onyx recently, they said they had no current plans for a 13" device. The representative said, "At the moment we do not plan to produce 13.3” version".
tsmithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
We didn't hear from zeng good while if they finished i86 and resumed development on 13.3 ( zeng's post was from 15th March)
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Good news, not from Onyx, but from Pocketbook:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...mobius-screen/

Sounds like the designers at Pocketbook agree with my comment #7 :-)
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Only E-Ink knows why their 13 inch displays are being used in Sony's DPT-S1 only. As you know this one is not being offered to public/consumer.
Sony funded the development of the Mobius screen tech. Early demos showed up here and there for several years before it finally launched.