Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Interrupting Sync Loading Content

My Touch (fw 2.6.?) has been loading content for over an hour, when usually it only takes a few minutes. I have two questions now:
1) How can I interrupt it and get back to the Home screen. I'm pretty sure a reset with paper clip will do it, but any other way?
2) Will I mangle the data base so badly I have to do a Factory Reset and reload the content again?

So, third question: Is there a quick, safe way out of my predicament?

Thanks - Phil
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
With firmware 2.8.1 after you press the sync button/tile it changes to say "Syncing... Cancel", and so if you press it again it should cancel the sync. (I just can't remember if this option was in fw 2.6.1 though.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Is the "whirly" at the top left still moving or has it stopped? If it has stopped, this means that Nickel has died on the unit, and the sync has failed in any case.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The little "whirly" at the top left is still moving, and the sync arrows at the bottom right are going round and round...

GeoofR - Maybe they added the cancel button because of the problem I'm having?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've never seen any issues caused by cancelling the sync. If by WiFi just go into settings and turn WiFi off.

Last edited by PeterT; 09-22-2013 at 01:00 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I would try to power off first, before resorting to a pin-hole reset. But it should be safe in either case, the sqlite database is supposed to be able to handle an incomplete transaction without corruption, you just lose whatever transactions were uncomitted at the time, which should be done again on the next sync anyway.

Edit: Try PeterT's suggestion to turn off wifi first, before powering off.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #7
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Mine had once synced for six hours (or claimed to be syncing) until I turned wi fi off. After I turned wi fi on again, pressed sync and it was done normally. I did wonder why because there was no new firmware and I don't have lot of books on it.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
pholy
Booklegger

Turning off the WiFi worked. Then I turned it back on and hit Sync with a bit of trepidation; this time loading content took a few seconds, then it continued on to the other stuff and completed normally.
For me, tapping in the corner to bring up the Settings menu has been a little erratic; perhaps that was why I didn't think of trying it.
Thanks, guys.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Odd, I too have noticed the same thing with endless or super long syncs on both my Mini (2.6.2) and mark 3 Touch (5.2.X). Occasionally it will lock up as described above with no motion on the symbols, however most of the time it just keeps syncing endlessly. I started doing this a month or two ago (long after the last firmware updates) so I am not sure what causes it (a certain book, or perhaps some glitch from Calibre.

At first I though it might have been just a combination of a weak wifi signal and perhaps some local interference, however I have had the same issue if located right next to it. When it happens I just power down the reader and restart a few seconds later, it seems to solve the problem for the first few synchs.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
How many shelves do you have? There was a problem if you had a lot of shelves that syncing would hang like this. Or maybe it took so long I never waited it out. This has been fixed, but I'm not sure which firmware it is in.

If you want to try, you can add the line "SyncShelves=false" in the "ApplicationPreferences" section of the "Kobo eReader.conf" file. This prevents shelves from syncing, so would eliminate one possibility for the hang.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How many shelves do you have?
Ah, I think you found my problem or a least part of it.
Turns out I had 16 pages of shelves, all duplicates (or triplicate/quads) of the same shelves. I could not delete them from either of my readers so I had to find and use a database editor to dislodge them with the help of calibre and the extended Kobo Driver; I figured if I hosed the database so be it, a reset will fix that and the usage data isn't critical to me anyways. A bit of experimentation, many synchs, a few factory resets and now they are gone.

The really odd thing was that after I deleted every book (all epubs) from my device, some of the shelves still indicated books present. In all cases the books (not present on the device, never downloaded either, nor previewed) were all kepubs with the buy it now option. Weird stuff.

According to Calibre I have 18 bookshelves based on subject; do you think that is too many?
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
Ah, I think you found my problem or a least part of it.
Turns out I had 16 pages of shelves, all duplicates (or triplicate/quads) of the same shelves. I could not delete them from either of my readers so I had to find and use a database editor to dislodge them with the help of calibre and the extended Kobo Driver; I figured if I hosed the database so be it, a reset will fix that and the usage data isn't critical to me anyways. A bit of experimentation, many synchs, a few factory resets and now they are gone.
Good to hear my guess was right And good to hear you worked out how to clean them up. I wrote a post a few weeks ago with instructions on how to clean up the duplicates with calibre or by directly editing the database. Plus a sync or two. I just looked at my shelves and it seems I need to find the post
Quote:
The really odd thing was that after I deleted every book (all epubs) from my device, some of the shelves still indicated books present. In all cases the books (not present on the device, never downloaded either, nor previewed) were all kepubs with the buy it now option. Weird stuff.
That has been reported before. I think there has been a couple of different causes. One way was a bug in the driver in calibre that added recommendations to the shelves. I fixed that a while ago.
Quote:
According to Calibre I have 18 bookshelves based on subject; do you think that is too many?
Personally, I normally have about three pages of shelves. That seems to work well. Recently, I have had a lot more to do some testing and haven't noticed any issues. But, this is with later firmware and beta firmware, so maybe things have been fixed.

If you don't want to sync shelves to Kobo, you can add a line to the "Kobo eReader.conf" on the device. In the "ApplicationPreferences" section, add "SyncShelves=false".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #13
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
When it happened to me, I tried unsuccessfully to turn off WIFI and then resorted to turn the Aura HD off. It did something weird then, but it stops the sync and starts again. Just to be safe, I turned it off and on again.
No corrupted database, nothing lost.

Since I had no shelves then, I thought it was because of busy servers (it was around a firmware release).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch, sync with kobo