Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kindle for my Grandmother

I bought my gran a Kindle fire - however, she doesn't have a credit/debit card so can't sign up for a Amazon account.

I registered the new Kindle with my account and have noticed all my personal purchases appearing on it. I don't want this. I want her to build her own library and not have my account details/needing my password to fully use it.

Is there any way of using a Kindle without registering? Or an alternative solution for those without credit cards?
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Easiest way is to get a pre-paid credit card. Lots of them around. But does she not have a bank account? Difficult to imagine someone not having a debit card!

If you're in the UK, there's a good comparison of pre-paid cards here.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-12-2013 at 10:30 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Sauyadav
Enthusiast
Sauyadav began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo h2o, iPad mini, Note 2
Buy kindle as a gift?!
Sauyadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

She does have a bank account but she tells me she doesn't have a card...

Can it be registered using bank details alone? (From a bank statement for example?)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauyadav View Post
Buy kindle as a gift?!
What's what the OP has done.
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Sauyadav
Enthusiast

You don't need credit card to register a kindle to your account. I have bought mine through a reseller and it added to my amazon account even though I have no credit card attached to it.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
She does have a bank account but she tells me she doesn't have a card...

Can it be registered using bank details alone? (From a bank statement for example?)
You could ask Amazon CS, but I suspect not, unfortunately.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Sauyadav
Enthusiast

Try deregistering it from your account and register it to her account.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauyadav View Post
Try deregistering it from your account and register it to her account.
You haven't read the original post properly. The OP's gran doesn't HAVE an Amazon account - that's the whole purpose of his question, to ask whether she can get an account without a credit card.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
Sauyadav
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You haven't read the original post properly. The OP's gran doesn't HAVE an Amazon account - that's the whole purpose of his question, to ask whether she can get an account without a credit card.
I didn't had an amazon account before I bought kindle, you can create one for free, is it really that much of a problem? I have posted previously that you can create an amazon account without credit card.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As far as I know, there's no requirement to have a credit card registered with an Amazon account.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I also have no creditcard, but I have a Kindle and Amazon account. I use giftcards to purchase ebooks.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
route66
Connoisseur

I've created an Amazon account for my grandmother now - and have registered the kindle to her HOWEVER, I am unable to purchase any apps/books etc (even those that are free of charge) because the account needs to be associated with a billing address.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
I've created an Amazon account for my grandmother now - and have registered the kindle to her HOWEVER, I am unable to purchase any apps/books etc (even those that are free of charge) because the account needs to be associated with a billing address.
Then enter a billing address! As far as I know, that still doesn't need a credit card.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
route66
Connoisseur

Okay, thanks everyone I managed to do it!

If you place an order through the Kindle itself it automatically redirects you to a page to fill out credit card details with an associated billing address. The way around it was to log in on my laptop and type the home address there.

I'm happy!