Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

Device: Newest KF 10, iPad, iPad Mini
Alternate app for opening AZW3 books?

My entire book library for my new HDX is in AZW3. I normally like to read in a small font, and the smallest it let's me reduce the font to is a touch too big for my taste. Is there an alternate app--Amazon app store or otherwise--that will open and read AZW3 files so I can adjust to my taste, at least until the HDX gets rooted?
Major General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major General View Post
My entire book library for my new HDX is in AZW3. I normally like to read in a small font, and the smallest it let's me reduce the font to is a touch too big for my taste. Is there an alternate app--Amazon app store or otherwise--that will open and read AZW3 files so I can adjust to my taste, at least until the HDX gets rooted?
Nope AZW3 is strictly a amazon only format. You would have to convert them to epub and use a epub reader app to get what you want. You could change the base font size in Calibre by tweaking the style sheet of the AZW3 file. Not sure if it will work or not.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

Device: Newest KF 10, iPad, iPad Mini
Guess then I'll have to live with it until someone comes up with a way to root this beast...
Major General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Actually converting them to MOBI will do what you want.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

You don't need to root the HDX to read ePubs, or to adjust base font size in the Kindle app. Just learn to use calibre to liberate and convert your AZW3 files to ePub, or use it to change the base font size in mobis/kf8s. That doesn't require any rooting, nor does installing Mantano Reader, or any other reader app, on the HDX. You might have to use another Android device to get the app file, but it will install after you side load it to the HDX. Mantano is my favorite independent Android reader app, but there is also FBReader, CoolReader, and others available that are pretty good.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You don't need to root the HDX to read ePubs, or to adjust base font size in the Kindle app. Just learn to use calibre to liberate and convert your AZW3 files to ePub, or use it to change the base font size in mobis/kf8s. That doesn't require any rooting, nor does installing Mantano Reader, or any other reader app, on the HDX. You might have to use another Android device to get the app file, but it will install after you side load it to the HDX. Mantano is my favorite independent Android reader app, but there is also FBReader, CoolReader, and others available that are pretty good.
It depends how small he wants the HDX can get pretty small but he would need to know the point size he wants and he will have to adjust it in the style sheet on each style. The HDX will not recognize the way Calibre does it which add it to the Calibre style which is only works on styles not specified.

Moon+ Reader Pro is the one I just switched too. It's awesome The interface could be better but the Reader itself beats Mantano hands down and it's got Time Left to Read just like Kindle!!! You can customize so much in Moon+ You can get the perfect font size with it that one thing Mantano always has trouble with too big of a jump between sizes while Moon+ goes by Point so if you want 20pt 0r 21pt size font you can have that easy. You can adjust paragraph spacing and line height and so much more. I bought the Pro as I can't read on my HDX till I tried this app that blue border is just too annoying to use the Kindle Reader.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-16-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Actually converting them to MOBI will do what you want.
No it won't he wants a smaller text that the smallest font size on the Aa menu so mobi won't work unless it uses font tags which is even more complicated to change. AZW3 is the way to go but he will have to tweak each book's style sheet to the way he wants no quick method for this.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I
Moon+ Reader Pro is the one I just switched too. It's awesome The interface could be better but the Reader itself beats Mantano hands down and it's got Time Left to Read just like Kindle!!! You can customize so much in Moon+ You can get the perfect font size with it
That's interesting, as I just switched to Moon+ the other day, too! I was annoyed with Mantano's rendering of italics, and had been reading on Coolreader. But when I found that I could set the time left to read with Moon+, I immediately started using it, and now I love it!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That's interesting, as I just switched to Moon+ the other day, too! I was annoyed with Mantano's rendering of italics, and had been reading on Coolreader. But when I found that I could set the time left to read with Moon+, I immediately started using it, and now I love it!
Me too! Time to Read is what sold me! He needs to add collections and tweak the interface as Mantano is going in a direction with the Cloud that is annoying so now's the time.

Mine only problem is I can't seem to get Moon+ to have 4 touch zones which would rock! Top and Bottom don't work if you use Left and Right it's all the same. I'm pretty sure on the free one I got that was pro back when it app of the day I could do this so something has change in the later version but I am extremely happy with it otherwise.

I need to figure out the Dropbox part still.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know, I am so addicted to the time to read. I have it with Moon+ on both my tablets, my Paperwhite, and both my Kobos. I don't want to go back to not having that feature!

I don't even do dropbox anymore, now that I am using Calibre Companion.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I know, I am so addicted to the time to read. I have it with Moon+ on both my tablets, my Paperwhite, and both my Kobos. I don't want to go back to not having that feature!

I don't even do dropbox anymore, now that I am using Calibre Companion.
I use Dropbox because I don't leave my PC running when I am not using it.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I use Dropbox because I don't leave my PC running when I am not using it.
My PCs run all the time, but I don't leave Calibre running. However, since my primary reading tablet has an sd card slot, I just load anything I want on it, no worries about running out of space or slowing down due to too many files. I have 4790 files in my CC library on my Nook HD. (I won't say books, because I have hundreds and hundreds of short stories). In Calibre, when I have a file edited how I want it, I check it in the yes/no column. So I then can load anything with a check. CC has saved me a lot of steps, and a lot of time.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Speaking of Moon Reader ... is there any way to tell it to "just display the book the way the original CSS specifies"? I'm having a heck of time figuring out how to do that. If I turn on "Preview with publisher formatting," all @page top and bottom margins seem to be ignored and it does this weird up/down scrolly thingy when turning pages. What it shows me is anything but the publisher formatting. I want to start with the way the ebook's creator intended to ebook to look and then tweak ever-so-slightly from there. Can I do that? I've never felt so completely helpless with a program in my life!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2013 at 06:56 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Speaking of Moon Reader ... is there any way to tell it to "just display the book the way the original CSS specifies"? I'm having a heck of time figuring out how to do that. If I turn on "Publisher preview," all @page top and bottom margins seem to be ignored and it does this weird up/down scrolly thingy when turning pages.
You can disable the scrolling in Misc options. Also in misc you'll find the CSS disable options play with those to get what you want. You see the little gear icon by the option click on that and it will give you more options to play with. It's not perfect and there is a margin bug I have encounter a few times with it. To fix I had to reset the visual options.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've disabled ALL the "Disable CSS styles" and it still doesn't display like it should. Block-quoted text that's supposed to have wider margins than the normal text, doesn't (and it's the same font size as the normal text when it's supposed to be smaller). Right-aligned text is left-aligned. It's like it's trying hard to NOT display things "correctly."

I'll play with it for a while, but ... damn! Does it not even try to use the existing CSS?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote