Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #46
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
OMG. Do you suppose the servers crashed because all of Oprah's lemmings overloaded the servers?! No, they wouldn't have had time to receive their Kindles yet.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
OMG. Do you suppose the servers crashed because all of Oprah's lemmings overloaded the servers?! No, they wouldn't have had time to receive their Kindles yet.
Actually, I can download Kindle ebooks just fine. So the mobipocket DRM servers must be different from the Kindle DRM servers.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #48
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I think the Kindle servers have a higher priority for Amazon right now. What concerns me is that according to FW, they are getting vacation emails from all their contacts. That's not a good thing even though it is the weekend.

With any luck things will be back to normal soon.

Most of what's in my FW wishlist is mobi.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #49
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I think the Kindle servers have a higher priority for Amazon right now. What concerns me is that according to FW, they are getting vacation emails from all their contacts. That's not a good thing even though it is the weekend.
Usually you have to pay for support during weekends. So maybe they have not done that? Otherwise they would email their weekend support...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #50
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
Quote:
(the auto-replies say they are on vacation).
Almost makes me wonder if they take weekends off, and nobody will know about the problem until they go back to work tomorrow.
It's been nearly 24 hours now. I know these things happen, but sites usually get something up quickly, even if it's just a single page giving some information.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #51
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Truthfully, I find the situation so incredulous, I wonder if something else isn't going on. I mean: What if I walked over to Barnes and Noble right now and couldn't get in because their door-unlocker server was down and all stores were inaccessible. This would never happen of course.

Is it possible that Mobi is shutting down?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
No!

Why do people go all conspiracy theory when things things happen. The bottom line is, stuff happens. Hardware fails, internet connections get accidentally cut, power goes out, etc.

Perhaps this will wake up the people running mobipocket servers and show them they need some redundancy like a co-located server in another data center in another state. The worst part is all the book stores like fictionwise, BoB and others that can loose sales at times like this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #53
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
Truthfully, I find the situation so incredulous, I wonder if something else isn't going on. I mean: What if I walked over to Barnes and Noble right now and couldn't get in because their door-unlocker server was down and all stores were inaccessible. This would never happen of course.

It's a side-effect of DRM - and we all know how ridiculous that is. As to the possibility that Mobi is shutting down; I'd say that while it's not impossible it's so unlikely that we can remove it from consideration.

Right now it's probably somewhere in that wonderful continuum between letting the responsible people KNOW that there's a problem and diagnosing then fixing said problem. Once they get to the good end of the continuum things will be back to working.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:02 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsussman View Post
Harry

How do you get that mailing list info. I am a member of their buywise club. get all kinds of email about specials new books etc... but I did not get this message and there is no specific info on their website that I can find

Elihu
Yahoo Group called "Fictionwise".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:32 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MobiPocket site is up again

The MobiPocket web site is back up, and I've just successfully downloaded a Mobi book from my bookshelf on FictionWise, so it looks as though the problem (whatever it was) has been sorted out.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:41 AM   #56
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
Minor technical issues according to their forums.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:51 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Good to know that it wasn't a serious problem, then. After all, it only cost every Mobi retailer an entire weekend of sales .
Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #58
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good to know that it wasn't a serious problem, then. After all, it only cost every Mobi retailer an entire weekend of sales .
Oh, don't worry. I'm sure it didn't really cost them much in the way of sales since they still took the order and money at the time even when unable to deliver the product. The only thing it really cost them was a couple days worth of consumer confidence in their product (mobi DRM) though most people will probably misdirect their ire towards the bookseller instead. Actually, I'd like to see a few more outages. Perhaps that would get more books published in something besides just mobi.

(I honestly don't mind mobi but have a horrible dislike for the publishing of any single format exclusively and most books using a single DRM seem to use mobi. If you are going to DRM, use several so people have a blasted choice!)
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #59
Monteagle
Monteagle began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700w
Smile Down Time DID cost at least one retailer

BooksOnBoard did NOT take Mobipocket PX orders and money after some time Saturday. Can't speak to the other retailers with certainty because I only followed this story on BooksOnBoard after a certain point this weekend.

BooksOnBoard shut down the ability for customers to buy Mobipocket PX ebooks from its site Saturday afternoon, probably only a short time after the server problem became apparent. The only Mobipocket format you could buy were the Mobipocket OD titles which you could, in fact, download because they come from a different server not controlled by Amazon's group.

BooksOnBoard just reinstated the ability to purchase Mobipocket PX (the affected source) some time this morning. So, Stxopher, at least one retailer puts customer satisfaction ahead of a quick buck. I would bet other retailers did the same as BooksOnBoard, however. I just didn't shop them this weekend because I started looking for OD titles which I could only find at BooksOnBoard.

Their support just wrote that they also now have a dedicated Mobipocket ebook store as well. Apparently, they've had it for a while. Good to know.
Monteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #60
stxopher
Nameless Being

Sorry for my misleading phrasing. I was railing against the mobi side of things and not the retailer side. Thus my comment about people blaming the sellers for the problem and not the source which would be the mobi servers.

And you are correct. Most of the actual sellers I know of put a stop as soon as they found out there was a problem. But then, as you pointed out, they actually are concerned about customer satisfaction. Why else would they have been so responsive to a problem, a problem not of their making, that affected their clientele? Responses posted to places like this that included letting people know what was happening from their end are one of the things that keeps cutomers.

Which is why I continually buy from retailers like that. I feel better knowing that they will be doing the best they can dealing with the issues I can't. (I still don't know what happened this weekend with the servers. Probably turn out to be that someone flipped the power switch on the way out the door for the weekend thinking it was a light switch.)