Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Graphic Novels

I just finished Pedrosa Cyril's Three Shadows graphic novel that was offered for free during Tor's "Watch The Skies" promotion. While not the best story, it was definitely a wild ride, and worked very well on the Sony 505.

I am wondering if anyone else has found some good graphic novels (Manga... whatever) that works well on a eInk device.

I define "works well" as not needing a microscope to read the words, and "good" as... well... good.

Look forward to any recommendations.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To add another recommendation, Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now (found in PDF for free here) is not an unreasonable read in landscape orientation at the medium flow setting. The text (TOC and interview) are actual text, and reflow... with the usual PDF reflow format problems, but not bad. And the artwork is OK read with the top panels on one page and the lower panels on the next.

It is obvious the book was not formatted with an eInk device in mind, but works in a pinch.
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Pretty much any manga work on the iLiad screen-- the black and white line art with screentones lends itself very well to the e ink display. Many people seem to enjoy them on the 6" screen, as well. Sadly, not very many are available as legal ebook versions. Wowio had a few original manga available, though. You might check with them.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

And Mistress nekokami, when is your manga book going public?

I am enticed by the slices you have shared.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I just finished Pedrosa Cyril's Three Shadows graphic novel that was offered for free during Tor's "Watch The Skies" promotion. While not the best story, it was definitely a wild ride, and worked very well on the Sony 505.

I am wondering if anyone else has found some good graphic novels (Manga... whatever) that works well on a eInk device.

I define "works well" as not needing a microscope to read the words, and "good" as... well... good.

Look forward to any recommendations.
The Thee Shadows doesn't look bad on the Kindle. I converted it with MobiPocket Creator. The text is on a separate page from the images but the images (so far) have been very readable.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 01:26 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The Thee Shadows doesn't look bad on the Kindle. I converted it with MobiPocket Creator. The text is on a separate page from the images but the images (so far) have been very readable.
I need to try that! Having the text on an additional page sounds good. I did enjoy it on the Sony, but did have to hold the device fairly close to catch all the dialogue.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:28 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
And Mistress nekokami, when is your manga book going public?

I am enticed by the slices you have shared.
Thanks so much for your enthusiasm. I'm seriously hoping to get several more pages done this week while I'm nominally on vacation (the rest of my family seems to see this as "on call," however, which is slowing things down somewhat). I needed to learn to use Cararra (a different 3d app) to get the main image for the next page. Another slowdown. I think I've got that now, though.

Meanwhile, I've been plotting out the details for the rest of the series (chapter summaries, scripts, a few rough images or page layouts, etc.). It won't finish in one tankoubon worth of chapters, but shouldn't extend indefinitely, either.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Keep us updated! What I have seen so far looks great!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Thanks so much for your enthusiasm.
FYI, I heard a report on NPR a couple of days ago about Librarians attending ComiCon (sp?), specifically to look for manga. It's hard for them to keep copies of any of it on the shelves. Since it's the one thing they know kids will read, they want to increase their libraries' inventory.

If I can find the story online, I'll post a link.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:36 AM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Well. Just for you, here is a preview of someone you'll see "soon" who is opposing the characters you've met so far:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ninja4.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	14819  
Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 AM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Sexy Ninja!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Yep. Of course, she'll look a bit different in the manga version... more like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ninja4_pwmix.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	14820  
Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 AM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Sexy is sexy, and Ninja is ninja. Two great tastes that go great together.

Donnageddon like!
Old 07-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Well, there are more ninja, but not all like the first one. (That would be boring, I think.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ninja_group.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	14839  
Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Well, there are more ninja, but not all like the first one. (That would be boring, I think.)
Uh-oh. You've pressed Donnageddon's "Ninja" button. You do realise he'll be bouncing around for hours now?

Come on, Donnageddon, back in your chair now. Here, take some of these pills, and I promise that when you wake up the ninjas will still be here...

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!