Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #376
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
He already said a couple of posts up he used kubrick.

I think a boot disk would not be a bad option
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #377
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
He already said a couple of posts up he used kubrick.

I think a boot disk would not be a bad option
Which is why the "Duh..." in my post - he already has a version of Linux that runs on his computer - not "just xp".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #378
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

right.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #379
alban
Enthusiast
alban began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
OK but how does that help me?! All I know to do is to follow the Kubrick instructions - and not how to execute any other command. Are you saying there's no point in trying K3Flasher as it's already tried in Kubrick in Linux? Maybe there's some more diagnostic data available tho'?
I'll do a bootable Ubuntu iso CD and try to figure out how to use K3Flasher - got nothing to lose now....
alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #380
twobob

sure. That would certainly be an manageable and relatively easy to understand option (What I was driving at).

The command line output would be what I would looking for when k3flasher is run manually. Also, a you say - yes - effectively you have already done this one "under the hood" of Kubrick. Choices dwindling however and actual "problem knowledge" limited thus any advance on "Just Don't Work" would be a plus.

Without the device here in my hands... guiding you to tools that may assist you to help yourself is the best I can hope for.
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #381
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Alban, @TwoBob -
Both are in the UK - why not PM the details of the UK de-bricking service to each other?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #382
andysuth
andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.andysuth is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysuth View Post
Hi,

My kindle doesn't turn on, the screen "works" when attached to my wife's kindle.

Kindle battery has been changed, has been plugged into wall socket for 30+ hours, but the kindle will not show a green light when slider is turned on. Whilst plugged into the wall or PC the orange light turns on, and if I slide and hold the slider for 15 seconds the orange light will turn off.

I've tried the Kubrick LiveCD, it acknowledges the Kindle's presence, tells me its flashing, tells me it's flashing the main memory (1-3 hours) and then jumps from 0% to complete in about 20 seconds.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

-Andy.
Would the command line give a different response in my case?

-AS
andysuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #383
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysuth View Post
Would the command line give a different response in my case?

-AS
It would give different information.

ixtab has posted how to use the command line interface of the Linux distribution which is running KUBRICK.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #384
kay33
kay33 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kay33 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kay33 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kay33 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kay33 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kay33 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kay33 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kay33 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kay33 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kay33 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kay33 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard w+3g
I beg for help!

Hi!

My device is Kindle 3, and im using Kubrick Live CD.

When i'm running Kubrick, and i'm on the last step (flashing), it showing me up "sucessful flashing" after maybe 1-2 secounds (it was written that it will take few hours). Ofcourse after this "fast flashing", kindle is still bricked.

What should I do?

Info about my situation:
- Kindle worked perfectly, after freeze on website. After that, I restarted it, by holding power button - when it runs, it goes freezed after 10-20 seconds. I have repeated this cycle over 10-20 times.
- Last time I did that, kindle didn't react for power switch, and freezed forever
- Now, only reaction is orange light under power switch, when I plugging usb to it
- I was trying pulling off battery, and insert it after 2 hours - didn't work.
- Kindle was new, so the battery is good, I think.
- after './k3flasher mx35to2_mmc.bin info', k3flasher shows me up:
Code:
I: found suitable device
 E: wrong transfer length, wanted to receive 8 bytes but received 4 bytes.
 I: above error can be ignored, it's due to the device being in ROM kernel mode
 I: RAM kernel should be running now. Trying to re-open device: .
 I: got it.
 E: wrong transfer length, wanted to receive 8 bytes but received 4 bytes.
 E: aborting. It is suggested you power-cycle the device.
- after connecting to the wall charger - orange light for few hours, and then, it goes out.
-windows shows my kindle as "se blank ringo"

very sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

David.

@edit
exactly like in here (if my english is too bad to read):
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicHammer View Post
ixtab, you rock. I just read the entire thread but my issue hasn't come up yet. I have a K3 that is unresponsive. The screen is stuck on an advertisement and has been for weeks. I have let the thing charge for a week and no response. I've removed the battery and it's at 3.7V which should be perfect. When I plug into the computer, sometimes it doesn't show up in device manager at all, other times it comes up as "SE blank RINGO". No amount of holding the powerswitch seems to make a difference.

I downloaded Kubrick 2.1 and put it on a USB stick. I boot into Kubrick just fine on multiple computers. I follow the instructions and the USB downloader mode check passes. At the Flashing Kernel prompt after a second or two, the status goes to "Device Ready". Does this mean the Kernel was flashed or that the Kernel is ready to be flashed? After leaving it at the screen for a few minutes, the Flashing Kernel status stays at "device ready" so I just hit next.

At the Flashing Main partition, the status says "Flashing Main partition 0%" and then immediately says "Flashing done". Obviously it isn't done because it is supposed to take hours. Any idea about what my problem is?
but I think my battery is good, because my kindle is 1 month old, and it always takes couple of days to discharge (a lot of using wireless).

Last edited by kay33; 05-21-2013 at 12:21 PM.
kay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #385
kindlespark
kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I have the latest K4 running firmware 4.1.1, and after a few weeks staring at a load of pencils and stuff wanted to put my own screensavers on it.

However I'm a complete novice so I was really pleased to find that some noble soul has made an easy wizard so that buffoons like me can jailbreak their devices pretty painlessly.

So I downloaded the Kubrick for 4 and 5, made a DVD with the iso, verified it has files and so on and is not just data, and tried to start up my Mac Book Pro (64-bit ,Intel) from it.

It wouldn't show as an option on start up with the DVD in, but on system preferences the DVD showed up as a DVD icon with a windows symbol, entitled Foreign OS on Kubrick (I named the dvd Kubrick when burning). I set this as startup disk, and , on starting up it gives a black screen with:
ISOLINUX 3.82

could not find kernel image: linux
boot:

Boot has flashing cursor, but I don't know how to go further. No splash screen ever appears

Any ideas what this means - is the DVD corrupt , for example (it verified fine though)?

I have bootcamp running Windows XP, but can't figure out how to start up from this DVD within bootcamp (but shouldn't need to , as it does say earlier it should work on Macs).

I've read the whole thread but nothing seemed relevant.

Thanks for any help and thanks for writing this!
kindlespark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #386
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlespark View Post
I set this as startup disk, and , on starting up it gives a black screen with:

ISOLINUX 3.82

could not find kernel image: linux
boot:
That seems fairly self-explanatory.

The boot loader does not "understand" your hardware.

ISOLINUX (the boot loader) may (or may not) have additional functions built-in that may help at this point.

See if it responds to the various function keys, F1 .. Fwhatever-you-have

If you would donate your Mac to ixtab, I think he would be able to fix it for you.

PS: You don't need Kubrick to jailbreak your Kindle.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #387
kindlespark
kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

UM complete novice here...nothing to me is "self-explanatory".

Also while I understand Kubrick is not necessary to jailbreak a Kindle, I thought it may be the easiest way to jailbreak a Kindle (for a complete novice).

I didn't really understand your explanation TBH....my optical drive isn't working properly, is that what you mean?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #388
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlespark View Post
UM complete novice here...nothing to me is "self-explanatory".

Also while I understand Kubrick is not necessary to jailbreak a Kindle, I thought it may be the easiest way to jailbreak a Kindle (for a complete novice).

I didn't really understand your explanation TBH....my optical drive isn't working properly, is that what you mean?
I mean that Kubrick is not recognizing the hardware.

If you can copy a file to the root of the user storage area of the Kindle, you can jailbreak it.
We have threads on that subject.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #389
kindlespark

ER..OK.

Just for reference, in case anyone else has this problem, it was probably a corrupt file or DVD.

I changed two things though so I can't tell exactly.

1. downloaded the Kubrick iso with 3, 4 and 5 Kindle options rather than the 3 and 4 that I did first time

2. I burnt a new DVD.

Loaded DVD into Mac, in Systems preferences, Start Up disk , chose the DVD as start up disk (disk icon called 'Foreign OS' on Kubrick).

Restarted, and got flash screen , asked me to press F5, Wizard loaded and I went through complete procedure in under 10 minutes.

No problems so far, though there is a message that has never appeared before: Battery symbol scored through, with text 'your kindle is not currently charging'. I'm assuming that's fine as LED is green so it's fully charged.

Now hopefully I can connect to the K4 as a RNDIS/ethernet gadget (the facility that was removed in firmware 4.1.1) and put some screensavers in!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #390
krajiska
krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.krajiska knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: kindle 4nt
Hello everyone in the forum. Excuse me immediately on my bad English, I'm typing this through Google translator. I have a problem with the kindle 4nt that will not start. I have read this entire post all 26 pages. I downloaded Kubrick live cd from the first page and tried to fix it with kindle. In fact everything went well until it comes to the moment when you need to enter the fastboot mode and it says waiting for device. There is about half an hour and nothing happens. I filled the whole day on kindle wall charger. Do I have to wait somewhere else or I am wrong. Thank you all for your advice

Last edited by krajiska; 05-22-2013 at 04:11 PM.
krajiska is offline   Reply With Quote