Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 04:13 AM   #31
aludal
Enthusiast
aludal doesn't litteraludal doesn't litter

Device: none (not Nano!)
It was hacked into "a free Web connection" 15 months ago or so, on a direct invitation of the Amazon's Kindle top man. Sure, he sorta took his words back very soon, but the jailbreak is out, sorry. On the other hand, the WiFi hack is untraceable, and no amount of "cease and desist" threats could stop its spread.
However, I kinda lost much interest in hacking Kindles 1, 2, or DX. Unless their next model would be somewhat along the lines I described in my post #25, that is.
aludal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #32
aludal
Enthusiast
aludal doesn't litteraludal doesn't litter

Device: none (not Nano!)
Amazon is digging themselves a bigger and deeper hole with Kindle "borrowed" books:

Editors from Columbia's Science and Technology Law Review explained to us a year ago the pitfalls of not owning your Kindle books, a fact that Amazon revealed to be more horrifying than we thought. Guess what? It's worse.

Slate's Farhad Manjoo points out more reasons (bothered from Harvard law professor Jonathan Zittrain) why we should be absolutely terrified of "tethered" devices like the Kindle, especially if we're headed toward a truly paperless and discless future, where books, movies and music are all downloaded. Imagine if there were no paper copies of 1984, and Amazon—or whatever company wins the ereader war—deleted it. Or any other book or film that's been banned at one point. It's much easier, after all, to delete them off of a million devices than to actually pull one thousand paper copies out of people's houses. A possibility that's more, uh, possible with breakthroughs like self-destructing data. (One more reason we'll always need something like BitTorent, more than ever in the future, not less.)

If hypotheticals aren't your thing, take the 2004 TiVo vs. Echostar patent infringement case. When TiVo won, the judge ruled that Dish didn't just have to stop selling infringing DVR boxes, they had to actually remotely kill the boxes they'd already sold. Boxes they had installed in people's houses.

Granted, Jonathan Zittrain is the same crazy guy who says that the iPhone is killing the internet, but you know, this time he actually seems kinda right! I hope he's still just crazy though. [Slate]

All the unhacked Kindle owners should probably take a note: if one day you have your Orwell amz books deleted you may be sure you live in a Orwellian world where your TV watches you and your Kindle reads you.

In other words, the WiFi jailbreak should not be discussed as just feasible, it and bittorent hack might be the only ways to truly own your ebooks -- apart from memorizing them 451 Fahrenheit style, of course.
aludal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert