Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
netrobot
Edge User

Android Market -- got it working, mind recovered

First, thanks for the info here and links to elsewhere. After a few responses and help from a cyber-sleuth friend my emulator, using Astro File Manager is producing installable .apk files.

The piece I seemed to be missing was including/installing some extra parts -- at least that's what I did differently before the process worked.
http://www.blogsdna.com/10400/androi...d-mac-os-x.htm

The process is still tedious, but I don't mind "SweatHogging" it to thwart Google and/or Entourage who collectively dumped us in this sewie-hole in the first place.

If somebody here had a website where these "liberated" apps could be accessed, we could keep this nonsense to a minimum! Any ideas? I'm happy to expose them in an http: folder and provide links to those I've fought to get ahold of.

Last edited by netrobot; 05-18-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I've used the emulator with 1.6 many times successfully. I back up with app monster and use dropbox to transfer. In dropbox I hit menu upload any file then I use Astro to find the file I need and upload. There are so many other places to get apps now it's hardly needed though. What apps did you want?

Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
netrobot
Edge User

I wonder if it was the system.img file I used? I used the free-standing one -- NOT from HTC. Maybe the other one mentioned in the link works?
I had my friend download a couple of apps on his tablet, use Astro to back them up and email them to me. They all worked, so worst case, i can go to his house and spend an hour or so getting the apps I want.
As for apps.
AppBrain Market (doesn't run on eDGe anyway)
Unified Remote (still not found)
FlyerCam (cannot find)
Remote Web Desktop (Amazon)
imdb (Amazon)
Titanium Backup (Amazon doesn't have it - found on http://matrixrewriter.com/android/)
etc.

I'll keep banging on the emulator. Now it's a QUEST. (and it's only a flesh wound)

Last edited by netrobot; 05-18-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
netrobot
Edge User

Ok, I pulled the HTC system.img @ 79mb. That one looks like a phone with a keypad and 5-way. Unfortunately, it can't find a network connection.
My friend installed, backed up and emailed me the AppBrain Market .apk file, so that's working now.
And I found another blog on an emulator, having failed with both system.img files linked by OncTech. Here's the one I'm looking into now: http://www.blogsdna.com/10400/androi...d-mac-os-x.htm

So... AppBrain Market is apparently a front-end for Android Market. Even though I got the .apk and installed it, any app. I try to get from it produces a screen with four options - About Related Share & Market. If I hit "Market" I get a black screen with:
No matches

Search tips:
* Check spelling.
* Try less specific keywords.
* Try different keywords or use synonyms.

The website says AppBrain Market is NOT installed on my tablet when it is, and there is no way to put my username & password into AppBrain Market -- the app.

If anyone gets AppBrain Market working...

Last edited by netrobot; 05-18-2011 at 04:25 PM.