Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think of the current MobileRead Logo
I love it, it must never be changed, my personal world would fall off its axis! 1 1.08%
It's fine the way it is. 8 8.60%
I'd kinda like to see something else. 72 77.42%
I hate it as I hate roaches, as I loathe the scum growing inside disused toilets, as .... 7 7.53%
*I* would like to design a new one! I'll attach it below when I get something! 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Post What do you think of the current MobileRead logo?

Hey, gang,

The editors have been discussing the current MR Logo, and wanted to get an idea what folks thought about it. Amongst ourselves, about all we've decided is that it looks like a thumb (rather reminds me of the recent Hitchhiker's Guide movie, actually).

Here it is:

So anyway, please answer the poll, and let us know what you think.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
How does the logo look on the Iliad?

I think it needs a little work. Maybe a little more detail and make it should look less like a thumb.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Guess what I voted for?

Now that the functionalities of the site have been fine tuned to an excellent performance, the time for that promised redesign has come.

Your comparison with something from HG is good. It also looks like something reminiscent of the sixties with the idolization of space travel and planet Saturn.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 08-22-2007 at 01:32 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have to guess, you went for the toilet thing, of course.

What's that Bible verse about the mouth speaking from the overflow of the heart?

Bob pointed out the thumb resemblance, no credit to me.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
I've never really understood the logo. It doesn't help define what the site is all about as it could be used for any telephone-related site. This is a very distinctive site and needs a logo that proclaims what it is about.

After saying that, I must say that designing a good logo is a very, very hard thing to do.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

My understanding is that it dates back to when MR was focused more on mobile devices, in a time when that mostly meant phones. The focus has shifted, or more accurately grown in other directions since then, which is what seems to have gotten Alex thinking about the possibility of changing it. I don't think the thumb thing is his real motivation, anyway.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd like to see a logo which reflects the current focus of the site on reading and eBooks; the mobile phone logo doesn't really indicate that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
It does look like a telephony enterprise/phone installing crew logo... or a drunk dismembered cockroach

To most logo designers, if you can't play with a visible concept related to the business, you just play with lettering appearances.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
Wizard-mag
Enthusiast
Wizard-mag began at the beginning.

I voted for the middle option, because I agree that the logo doesn't really reflect quite special orientation of this unique website.

However I also subscribe to paulkbiba's point that designing a new one will be quite hard, especially in this case. Maybe some open contest for new logo would help it.
Wizard-mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Quite simply:

it should look like an eReader (SONY or iLiad or both).

I would never read a book on my cellular phone!
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #11
Gadzooks Mike
Gadzooks Mike began at the beginning.

Looks like a dizzy cellphone.
Gadzooks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
Quite simply:

I'd agree with that. Also, it needs some TEXT on it, that clearly marks it out as being the page of a book.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
Quite simply:

I agree a stylised ebbok reader incorporating the elipses that the current logo already has would work I think. (and not too hard to design either)
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
dreamingreader
dreamingreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader--in repair
Unfortunately I'm one of those horrible people that advocates a change but I am simply not creative enough to come up with an alternative Maybe an illustrated Sony/iLiad/Cybook being carried in a hand? Text should also be on the screen. Oh, shame in my lack of creativity!

Last edited by dreamingreader; 08-22-2007 at 04:48 PM.
dreamingreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well folks, let's get going. Go one an design a new logo. Let's see what you can do. let's get that graphic talant moving in the right direction. A new logo would be very nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote