Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your choice.
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 7 9.59%
Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton 5 6.85%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 5 6.85%
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré 13 17.81%
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 10 13.70%
Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse 11 15.07%
Storm Front by Jim Butcher 7 9.59%
Hyperion by Dan Simmons 8 10.96%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #61
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I also looked for The Spy Who Came in from the Cold at the local used book store, and they had just about every other le Carré title, but that one.
Same here! Carré titles in general widely available, this particular one not so much!

Black Rain is only available at very few libraries here, but that doesn't really matter, because as long as it's available in one Swedish public library, it can be sent to all the others. I have not found any used copies to buy. (Since English isn't the original language anyway I'd prefer to read it in Swedish.)
Lolita - well, Ive never really thought about reading it, but I might just give it a go, and if it disgusts me, just drop it.
Game of Thrones - nah, probably not for me.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #62
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
So I did some checking....

There is apperantly 1 copy of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold in my county, 1 copy of the Annotated Lolita, and no copies of Black Rain. Yay

Edited to add: I also looked for The Spy Who Came in from the Cold at the local used book store, and they had just about every other le Carré title, but that one. I didn't bother looking for Lolita, and of course, there was no Black Rain. I allowed myself the caveat of "Depending on price and availability" when I challenged myself to read each and every MR Book Club selection, but I'd hate to miss out on the very first selection of the year.
These are all previous non winners. How good can they be?

My library fairs a bit better for the titles:
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold 14+ copies
Lolita 1 copy, 5 holds
Black Rain 0 copies

I'd purchase Black Rain, the others I probably wouldn't read. Lolita has been on my to read list previously, but it's fallen off. It was on my list because it is almost always in the top ten of every best novels of all time lists.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #63
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I see Game of Thrones has jockeyed into position. That one we have.

Hubby and I have decided to go to our favorite used book store tomorrow. It is just over an hour away from us, and he has the day off! (Yay! )
After my fussing and fuming over finding the top contenders, it turns out that he's interested in reading some of le Carré's work as well, including The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.

I agree about buying Black Rain, and hopefully Lolita is now out of contention...but who knows what will happen.

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-22-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #64
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's early. We're still 19 votes away from the average number of voters. I have no desire to re-read A Game of Thrones or discuss it for that matter.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #65
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I am rooting for The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. I can read black rain if it wins but surely not Game of Thrones.

din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #66
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do not want to read Lolita, and my husband thinks 3 weeks may not be enough time to fully "digest" Game of Thrones. He's read the series.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #67
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I hope The Spy Who Came in from the Cold does not win, but only because I so recently read it. It is a great Cold War spy novel. Again I am not rooting for Black Rain only because I reread it so recently. A wonderful novel that is though.

Only if A Game of Thrones or Storm Front win will one of my 2012 goals be blown even before the first day of 2012.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #68
oddly bodkins
Enthusiast
oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aztak Pocket Pro, Palm Zire 72, IPad 2
Well this was a difficult choice. I'll be happy reading almost any of these selections. I finally chose something I've been wanting to get for awhile now. I usually don't have much to say, but I'll enjoy watching the discussion whichever book wins.
oddly bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #69
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddly bodkins View Post
Well this was a difficult choice. I'll be happy reading almost any of these selections. I finally chose something I've been wanting to get for awhile now. I usually don't have much to say, but I'll enjoy watching the discussion whichever book wins.
Pleas join in, if you can. The more the merrier, especially in the discussion threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Only if A Game of Thrones or Storm Front win will one of my 2012 goals be blown even before the first day of 2012.
Any of the selections will help my 2012 challenge, but Storm Front will help the most because it covers two sections.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #70
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Hubby and I have decided to go to our favorite used book store tomorrow.[...] it turns out that he's interested in reading some of le Carré's work as well[/I].
Don't bother buying the second book, A Murder of Quality. It's mediocre, isn't a spy story, and doesn't include anything you need to know for later books. Trust me on this one. Like many authors, Le Carré suffered a Sophomore Slump but recovered with book #3 (Spy Who Came in from the Cold).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Game of Thrones - nah, probably not for me.
I'll say this for A Game of Thrones: it's unlike typical "fantasy," in that it's a story largely without magic & supernatural beings. Rather, it's a complicated tale of intrigue and politics among the noble houses of seven feudal, pre-industrial kingdoms. Ambition, greed, sex, power, plots, alliances, deceits, double-crosses, etc. A Game of Thrones is among the best fantasy I've ever read, and it's worth a try for people who "don't like fantasy." That said, please don't vote for it; I just re-read the series several months ago.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #71
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Don't bother buying the second book, A Murder of Quality. It's mediocre, isn't a spy story, and doesn't include anything you need to know for later books. Trust me on this one. Like many authors, Le Carré suffered a Sophomore Slump but recovered with book #3 (Spy Who Came in from the Cold).
Thanks for the warning. I didn't even realize it was a series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
I'll say this for A Game of Thrones: it's unlike typical "fantasy," in that it's a story largely without magic & supernatural beings. Rather, it's a complicated tale of intrigue and politics among the noble houses of seven feudal, pre-industrial kingdoms. Ambition, greed, sex, power, plots, alliances, deceits, double-crosses, etc. A Game of Thrones is among the best fantasy I've ever read, and it's worth a try for people who "don't like fantasy." That said, please don't vote for it; I just re-read the series several months ago.
The TV show actually turned me off to trying the series, but you make it sound great...
Old 12-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #72
narflet
narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 3
I've had a prelim search and there's no copies of Black Rain in either of the local authority libraries that I hold cards for, and there's only 1 (reasonably priced) copy on amazon marketplace. That'd be a tricky one to get hold of.

This is where I'm looking forward to the 2nd vote, think it'll be interesting.
narflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #73
Nyssa
Series Addict

I think my trip tomorrow will factor into my final vote.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:12 AM   #74
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I couldn’t wait, so I went ahead and bought The Spy Who Came in from the cold . Well, I started reading it while coming to office this morning. I wouldn't say anything more before the voting is closed .

din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #75
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Black Rain. If you've already voted, call your relatives and get them to sign up as members and vote for Black Rain.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-23-2011 at 10:06 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, january 2011, vote