Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #31
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's true, but you can get a reasonable idea from how fast the bar advances during your reading session. I'd be in favour of showing a page number, but not at the expense of losing screen "real estate" to do so, unless it was optional. The current status bar is a very efficient way of showing your reading position in only a few vertical pixels.
It is approximately 10 pixels and you can write the page number with 10 pixels.

I have also had HTML files that started with 50% indication or so when I was on the first page.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #32
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
On a related note, just the other day I read Ender's Game for the first time. My bf asked me how I liked it, and my response was something like "it was good, but I knew there weren't many pages left so I figured out how it was going to end and it wrecked the surprise."

Obviously it's not usually possible to figure out the plot based on the length of book left, but I sure wish I had been reading on a Cybook at the time :P
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #33
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Good job on the review. I have to admit that I cringed when you were dropping the Cybook flat on the desk at the start of the second video. I would fear breaking the glass on the back of the screen.

The screen is more grey then the website and box cover makes you think so I had the same first impression when I unpacked mine. I either increase the font size or turn on the embolden feature when I'm reading in poor lighting. I've compared reading a paper book to the Cybook in the same poor lighting conditions and personally found I could read more comfortably on the Cybook. In my troll cave (basement) I normally read with a floor standing reading lamp though.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:23 AM   #34
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
...I either increase the font size or turn on the embolden feature when I'm reading in poor lighting...
... or choose thicker font - it works wonders

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #35
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
...don't know if it's true with the cyBook, but with the iLiad the better the ambient lighting the more white the screen appears to be. That aside, I do agree with the comments made that the relative contrast between the screen and the test is at least as good as on a dead tree book page.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #36
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
...don't know if it's true with the cyBook, but with the iLiad the better the ambient lighting the more white the screen appears to be...
-Jeff
Same with Cybook. Screen is excellent in good light but in insufficient light screen is light gray and letters are dark gray.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #37
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Same with Cybook. Screen is excellent in good light but in insufficient light screen is light gray and letters are dark gray.

DrS
Yeahbut... 'Insufficient' light is quite a low level. Sure, the screen appears somewhat 'grayer' under a 1-LED booklite, but the text is more of a DARK, dark gray than a dark gray. And even switching to a 3-LED lite makes the text appear black.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #38
ottocrat
Bookish
ottocrat doesn't litterottocrat doesn't litter

Device: Psion 5, Palm Tungsten T2, Nokia N73, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Good job on the review. I have to admit that I cringed when you were dropping the Cybook flat on the desk at the start of the second video. I would fear breaking the glass on the back of the screen.
Ooh, I didn't even think of that! The leather case is very good at making you feel relaxed about manhandling the Cybook - I really hope it's not as fragile as all that!

By the way, all this talk of fonts... one thing I have not been able to do yet is install additional fonts. I've tried putting literally dozens of ttf fonts into the fonts folder, both internal memory and SD card, then rebooting, but none of them are recognised. Is the Cybook just ultra-fussy about recognising fonts?

Last edited by ottocrat; 03-16-2008 at 05:03 AM.
ottocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:15 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The folder needs to be called "Fonts" with a capital "F" - it is case sensitive - and be in the internal memory. The user guide wrongly calls the folder "fonts" - that won't work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:18 AM   #40
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocrat View Post
By the way, all this talk of fonts... one thing I have not been able to do yet is install additional fonts. I've tried putting literally dozens of ttf fonts into the fonts folder, both internal memory and SD card, then rebooting, but none of them are recognised. Is the Cybook just ultra-fussy about recognising fonts?
No, it's not. But often you need to remove the font cache to get them recognised. It's '.font.cache-1' in the system directory.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #41
ottocrat
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
No, it's not. But often you need to remove the font cache to get them recognised. It's '.font.cache-1' in the system directory.
Is it a hidden file? I can't see it.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a hidden file if you're using any form of Unix, because it starts in a ".". Not hidden under Windows.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #43
ottocrat
Bookish

Ah... OK, as I can't get my Cybook to mount under Windows I'll have a go using TinkerTool in OSX.

Excellent - that worked! Thanks for the help!

Last edited by ottocrat; 03-16-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #44
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocrat View Post
Ooh, I didn't even think of that! The leather case is very good at making you feel relaxed about manhandling the Cybook - I really hope it's not as fragile as all that!
It's probably not that fragile and I think the cover does a good job of protecting it. It's just that after reading the posts on this site about broken glass substrates on the various e-ink readers... I've been trying to treat mine like it is that fragile.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #45
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Excellent videos! If I were unable to have a Kindle, I would go for the Cybook over the Sony Reader. Your videos were a great example of how it works.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote