Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 02:19 AM   #1
Zorka
Enthusiast
Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Mini(5), Kobo Touch, Kobo H2O, Poke2, Pocketbook Color, Remarkabl
Where to find serial number

Some time ago (2-3 years) I bought some Mini's (3) from aliexpress. They are working great on the latest firmware (4.3xxxx)
Recently I started playing around with the kobo utilities plugin in Calibre and noticed that they all have the same serial number . Also displayed in the settings on the device.
So my question is, is there a way to determine the "real" serial number for the device and change it back? My guess is they just made a copy of the internal sd and put it in the different devices.
The device came preloaded with some chinese books which I imediatly removed from the device. Also I didn't bought the device at the same time and from different sellers on aliexpress
Zorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:12 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As far as I know, the serial number is only in the firmware. It is copied at various time to the file "version" in the .kobo directory. If you remove this file and restart the device, this will be recreated with the serial number that is elsewhere in the firmware. From the description, it does sound like they used the same image for all the devices.

Other than that, it should have been on the box. It might be on the PCB, but I've never looked.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
Zorka
Enthusiast
Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Mini(5), Kobo Touch, Kobo H2O, Poke2, Pocketbook Color, Remarkabl
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Other than that, it should have been on the box.
They didn't came in the original box
Zorka is offline   Reply With Quote